Bucky Swan

Don, please don't antagonize. And yes.... he could wail and he could teach a doorknob to play!!

He's a true legend!!

sorry........... :lookaround:

Hey - for anyone who may not have heard, there will be a celebration of life for Bucky on November 9th from 2pm - 6pm in Avenel, NJ. Details are available on the RSVP page - http://www.mellolisa.com/RSVP.

All are welcome. If you did know him, you will get what a special event this will be.

Please RSVP by Oct 25th.

Thanks!

Lisa

• Like 1

This is a thread titled, "Bucky Swan"

Why should I have to come here and be on the defensive for Drum Corps??

You asked why there weren't more responses here. I gave you reasons from many differening perspectives of why.

Hey - for anyone who may not have heard, there will be a celebration of life for Bucky on November 9th from 2pm - 6pm in Avenel, NJ. Details are available on the RSVP page - http://www.mellolisa.com/RSVP.

All are welcome. If you did know him, you will get what a special event this will be.

Please RSVP by Oct 25th.

Thanks!

Lisa

And don't forget who will be MCing this non-typical memorial/party/event ... welcome to Bucky's World ...

Like Bucky always said: Life is not a dress rehearsal

:-)

The Designated Drum Corps Season used to last much longer

The competitive season, the I & E season, the indoor season, the parades... there was always something going on.

And I'm about to go a bit rogue here....

But, Drum Corps' existence never depended on or worked around Band.

Not from what I recall anyway.

And before any of you jump down my throat.... I'm not bashing Band. I'm simply saying they are two separate beings.

I understand where you're coming from. I also understand Liz's point of view.

I never knew Bucky until the RAMD wars, and even then until I met him, he was just a name to me, and I grew up around DCA. Luckily I got to know him, and he was a character that did more to help a friend than many I know.

But the folks today, if they know the name, it's just a name. drum corps today, even in DCA to a degree doesn't celebrate the personalities like they used to. Look at drum majors...now that Empire is gone, quick, name a DM that's a personality that isn't John from Govies?

( tick tock)

I mean that as no disrespect to the DM's out there, asthey are all great. But none of them have thatconnection to the crowd as they used to, and the same with great soloists. The times have changed...not always for the better, but they have.

but I'll always havea warm spot for Bucky for all he did to help a mutual friend that refused to help themselves

Sigh....

Please allow me to be a pain in the butt and a Drum Corps Historian all in one...

Isn't this place called DCP? Standing for Drum Corps Planet? I don't see a "B" anywhere.

Isn't that what George wanted??

I'm not degrading Band.... This thread is titled "Bucky Swan" no?

If you have no comment on the topic... of Bucky Swan. Why are we talking about band here?

Sorry, but.... this thread should be all about Bucky and his decades of contributions to Drum Corps.

And what he has meant to folks in the Drum Corps Community over the decades.... both Junior and Senior.

Both Liz and Jeff have said they didn't know him personally. Ok, so why are you guys posting here on this thread thats dedicated to him?

(Not trying to cause trouble here but, Bucky meant the world to me and I'm a Corps Historian.) This is one thread that should definitely stay on topic!

can you show me where I said that? I met the man on several occassions, usually discussing our old RAMD nutbag friend, or a friend you also know that Bucky and I had in common. All I said in this thread was RIP. I was very sad to learn of his passing. I grew to love Bucky not for anything on a drum corps field, but for his heart and caring. No, we didn't email often or call, but we always said hi and discussed our friend in common.

And yes.... he could wail and he could teach a doorknob to play!!

I am living proof of that. :tongue: He was my first horn instructor.

• Like 2

I am living proof of that. :tongue: He was my first horn instructor.

He was the horn instructor of the first competitive corps I marched in from 68-69. I played drums, but of course I knew him from ensemble rehearsals with the corps. He was still there when I was one of the percussion arrangers/instructors of the corps in 76, so I got to know him better that year. I always thought that his greatest skill was getting a group of kids with no prior brass background to sound far better than they had any right to sound. He was a great teacher, and to me that is the highest praise.

• Like 3

I always thought that his greatest skill was getting a group of kids with no prior brass background to sound far better than they had any right to sound. He was a great teacher, and to me that is the highest praise.

On the money, Mike. He worked his teaching magic with a whole bunch of corps back then.

• Like 1

Soooo....as a tribute let's see if we can name all of the corps that Tommy Swan taught over the years. Here is my recollection to start the list, but I am sure there are more corps!

Senior

-Skyliners

-Skyliners Alumni

Junior

-Saints - Woodbridge/Edison, NJ

-Valley Grenadiers - Hillsboro, NJ

-Imperial Guardsmen. Livingston, NJ (I marched here)

-Meadowlarks - Secaucus, NJ

-Lucky Ladies, Rockaway, NJ

-Emerald Grenadears, Rockaway, NJ

-Black Watch - NJ

-Sundowners - Dumont, NJ

Maybe?

-Fantasia?

-Dukes?