World wide block on DCI DVDs/CD...?

I'm not blaming DCI's licensing people at all in this. They are the heroes at the front lines busting their butts trying essentially to resolve this issue of poor planning by the DCI voting directors. Clearly the directors are the ones who don't care as much about the international fans as about their own desire to avoid dealing with their own audio and sync rights.

This is a fixable issue.

I just wonder what kind of planning you want the DCI BOD to do? Outlaw ANY performance unless full, and worldwide, copyright permission to Arrange, Record, and Sync (perform, audio, and video) are secured in writing?

Literally that could take years... and the cost to corps could be astronomical. It's not the responsibility of the performing unit to secure rights to sell video copies of their show (unless they are making their own DVD or BRD product)... it's the responsibility of the people selling the product. Really, corps only need to secure permission to arrange a piece of music... which compared to Sync (video) rights, is a piece of cake to get.

Solution: go to Finals.

Yes, I know it's not THAT easy to drop the cash to go to Finals. However, it may be the only way to see the shows as the noose of Copyright law tightens.

Your corps/DCI doesn't hate you, I promise that. However, we need to keep in mind that the corps are trying to win DCI Finals, which is judged live in Lucas Oil Stadium, not judged off of the BRD. While a nice keepsake, the BRD is not the goal.

Edited by Lead
  • Like 1

From the IMSLP's entry for Rite of Spring (http://imslp.org/wik...vinsky,_Igor%29)

I think there are three works involved, one by Stravinsky, one by Don Sebesky, and one by Darryl Brenzel. We don't know which is involved. (at least I don't)

Given the ubiquitous nature of productions of the original ROS, I'm surprised if the sync rights for that are difficult to obtain. But maybe so.

Maybe there's a complication that in this case the Stravinsky's rights holders want three payments, once for each work (since in cases like Sebesky's Re:Rite I think you have to pay Sebesky's rights holders AND Stravinsky's rights holders.) That would mean five payments. Just speculating.

In any event, BD should have been required to deal with it a year ago. Not blaming them, they're playing by the rules.

Drum Corps International, indeed.

Or watch the live stream (now that there is one), since your solution will be out of the price reach of many DCI fans in Europe.

- To put it bluntly: How can the activity do this to Canada?

I'm in Canada. I paid for the DVD this year when I ordered the Fan Network at the beginning of July. The DVD I paid for has 12 corps on it. I will expect a refund from DCI for the missing corps. I would like that refund as soon as possible as since this DVD is already paid for, DCI has my payment in their accounts. Then again DCI, why don't you put the Troopers on the International DVDs to make up for the screwup?

Perhaps my expectations about customer service are out of whack. One might think they would send a message to International customers who already paid for DVDs. But alas, questions aren't answered and "Customer Service" gets someone else to point out a section on their web site.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

I just wonder what kind of planning you want the DCI BOD to do? Outlaw ANY performance unless full, and worldwide, copyright permission to Arrange, Record, and Sync (perform, audio, and video) are secured in writing?

Literally that could take years... and the cost to corps could be astronomical. It's not the responsibility of the performing unit to secure rights to sell video copies of their show (unless they are making their own DVD or BRD product)... it's the responsibility of the people selling the product. Really, corps only need to secure permission to arrange a piece of music... which compared to Sync (video) rights, is a piece of cake to get.

Yes, I know it's not THAT easy to drop the cash to go to Finals. However, it may be the only way to see the shows as the noose of Copyright law tightens.

When this came up last year the most anyone would say is that sync rights could take "weeks, or even months", to obtain. That's not that long.

Furthermore, I would think that in these negotiations the initial quote by the rights holder is either an amount you can live with or an amount you can't. I don't believe this takes weeks or months to find out generally. If you can't live with that amount, start negotiating alternate works until you find one you can live with.

This shouldn't represent an unacceptable delay for the corps. But it would involve some uncertainly for the arrangers. If that's unacceptable, start the process in the previous spring.

The DVD I paid for has 12 corps on it. I will expect a refund from DCI for the missing corps.

It sounds like you'll be getting a refund for 12 missing corps on your version.

Then again DCI, why don't you put the Troopers on the International DVDs to make up for the screwup?

Excellent suggestion, if they do make an international version.

When this came up last year the most anyone would say is that sync rights could take "weeks, or even months", to obtain. That's not that long.

Furthermore, I would think that in these negotiations the initial quote by the rights holder is either an amount you can live with or an amount you can't. I don't believe this takes weeks or months to find out generally. If you can't live with that amount, start negotiating alternate works until you find one you can live with.

This shouldn't represent an unacceptable delay for the corps. But it would involve some uncertainly for the arrangers. If that's unacceptable, start the process in the previous spring.

The corps are responsible for the rights to arrange and perform the works. They are not responsible for the synch rights to appear on the DVD's and CD's.

It sounds like you'll be getting a refund for 12 missing corps on your version.

I want the 2013 DVD.

I'd like a complete one actually to add to all the other DVDs I have purchased from DCI over the years including the entire Legacy collection.

What I could do when I get the swiss cheese DVD is listen to an APD of Devils and do an artistic impression of their show using crayola crayons and construction paper.

It depends. I know of occasions where theatres have applied six months prior to production for the rights to use a song as incidental music in a play and still don't have an answer when the show opens.