World wide block on DCI DVDs/CD...?

It seems this happens to some corps or another every year.

I wonder if this is something that BD, Boston, and/or DCI knew about before they settled on using the material?

When was the last year that there was NOT some sort of copyright issue?

Is there something wrong with the process?

Thoughts?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

The corps are responsible for the rights to arrange and perform the works. They are not responsible for the synch rights to appear on the DVD's and CD's.

While this makes sense on a logical level (I don't know the legal issues), I do wonder if the corps that did not obtain those rights will get a cut of media sales when they don't appear on that (international) media.

I don't know how much revenue comes from international sales but, if a corps wants their piece of that action, I would think they'd pay closer attention to the rights involved before they choose their content.

• Like 1

It just feels, looking from the outside, that DCI's media management and sales policies are a confused mess. It doesn't seem like there's a single division (streaming, subscriptions, physical music media, physical video media) where there's an obvious strategy in place.

Mike

The Drum Corps International Customer Service team has asked me to direct international customers to the 2013 DCI Top 12 DVD International Option Preorder link in the DCI Store tab about 2013 audio and video products. There you will read the explanation regarding why this year's recordings available domestically cannot be sold internationally.

That was a little too difficult to find.

http://www.dcistore.org/2013-DCI-Top-12-DVD-International-Option-Preorder/productinfo/DVD13T12ITP/

No BD show, and about 25 seconds of Boston's show was cut out because of poetry... blink.gif

Ok so I have been an avid collector of the DCI Cds since 1997 and the DVDS since 2002.

I had marched in the UK in my youth so was brought up with DCI and DCUK but what is going on with international distribution this year. Is that it now due to publishing laws there will be no longer shipping to an international audience?

For all the world wide fans out there what do you thing?

From my understanding a number of DCI Corps have European marchers and there is always a percentage of Europeans, Asian fans who make the trip to the finals each year. Surely DCI would have said something about this no? Can we still buy the 2012 cd/dvds... Seems a bit out of the blue!

Do you have an American friend who could purchase the DVD and then give it to you?

I think there are three works involved, one by Stravinsky, one by Don Sebesky, and one by Darryl Brenzel. We don't know which is involved. (at least I don't)

Given the ubiquitous nature of productions of the original ROS, I'm surprised if the sync rights for that are difficult to obtain. But maybe so.

Maybe there's a complication that in this case the Stravinsky's rights holders want three payments, once for each work (since in cases like Sebesky's Re:Rite I think you have to pay Sebesky's rights holders AND Stravinsky's rights holders.) That would mean five payments. Just speculating.

In any event, BD should have been required to deal with it a year ago. Not blaming them, they're playing by the rules.

Drum Corps International, indeed.

I agree with you, BD should have been required to deal with it a year ago. How can they do that when they don't even know what they're going to need until 6 or 8 months before they need it?

I believe that we're dealing in an incongruent world where things that seemingly should work together do NOT.

• Like 2