Crossmen 2014

DCFAN

:music::thumbup:

Mike Hardiek's work at Homestead High School speaks for itself, some REALLY phenomenal visual programs for the high school level (2011s Childeren of the Sun is arguably my favorite high school production, mostly due to the visual program). Great pick up there for sure. Can't wait to see what they do. And of course Mr. Naffier is just awesome. Very excited to see this team working together.

• Like 1

Reread the post #33 as written. This is also what is said there: "I am not against replacing worn equipment or parts that are unuseable for another season because they are tattered and torn without possibility of good repair."

My vexation is with all the "design of uniform" changes as if "a new look" will improve performance scores on the judging sheets automatically. That's a myth propagated by those who manufacture the uniforms, some who have been known to "help" the person who suggests and enables the change. You know, what lobbyists tend to do.

I think you're ignoring the fact that uniforms have changed significantly since all corps wore wool. Wool uniforms were far more durable (lasting 10 (or in some cases far more) years). The light-weight, machine washable uniforms corps march in today -- while significantly less expensive than traditional construction -- are also less durable. So replacement cycle is also much shorter. Last time I actually looked at numbers I seem to recall the 10 year cost was about the same for both types. This has probably driven the frequency of the replacement cycle more than anything else (including some nebulous "a new look will improve scores" marketing hype) .

• Like 1

I think you're ignoring the fact that uniforms have changed significantly since all corps wore wool. Wool uniforms were far more durable (lasting 10 (or in some cases far more) years). The light-weight, machine washable uniforms corps march in today -- while significantly less expensive than traditional construction -- are also less durable. So replacement cycle is also much shorter. Last time I actually looked at numbers I seem to recall the 10 year cost was about the same for both types. This has probably driven the frequency of the replacement cycle more than anything else (including some nebulous "a new look will improve scores" marketing hype) .

I have no quibbles with what you say about the materials used to make a uniform. Not using wool sure makes those tour buses smell a lot nicer today compared to BITD. My disagreement is with the frequency of the design changes of said uniform, no matter what the material, and the myth that uniform design changes will improve a score or placement more than skill improvement will.

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 1

Mike Hardiek's work at Homestead High School speaks for itself, some REALLY phenomenal visual programs for the high school level (2011s Childeren of the Sun is arguably my favorite high school production, mostly due to the visual program). Great pick up there for sure. Can't wait to see what they do. And of course Mr. Naffier is just awesome. Very excited to see this team working together.

I've been hooked on Homestead shows since the announcement. That 2011 production is incredible. I hope he can apply is knack for cool shape transformations to relatively smaller numbers. I sense a feel good show coming, I hope I'm right. ***cough*** brookmeyer's happy song***cough*** :p

Does anyone know if Chuck will still be writing for Crossmen? I saw that he is teaming up with Jason at Colts. I also hope that they announce a brass caption head soon. At this point it looks like Colts, Pacific Crest and Troopers are going all out to challenge for a top 12 spot. I am afraid that without the right changes in brass and visual they are going to struggle just to make the top 16.

YES>>>he is

http://www.crossmen.org/design-team-announcements

Mike Hardiak Drill designer also.