Early 2014 Crown Information

Jack L

Crown fee schedule for pit, vocalists, horn players and all: http://carolinacrown...rship-info/fees

Drilltech's humor notwithstanding, Crown is *not* auditioning for vocalists. Rather they're looking for Guard, Percussion and Horn players who *also* have vocal talent.

If you are involved with band, color guard or percussion we want everyone to audition and experience what it could be like to be part of this fun Championship organization.

If you have the special talent of being a Choral or Voice enthusiast in addition to playing brass & percussion instruments or particpate in guard & dance, we absolutely would like to see you as there will many of these positions to fill.

• Like 2

Drilltech's humor notwithstanding, Crown is *not* auditioning for vocalists. Rather they're looking for Guard, Percussion and Horn players who *also* have vocal talent.

Most of the Crown staff and members I know over the years, particularly the 2013 Crown crew, have some of the greatest senses of humor.

I'm not talking about the tag-alongs and wannabees.

• Like 2

Normally I’d cringe but they did such a good job with mixing the two last year….but then there was that beat poetry which mitigates my expectations back to neutral

Going back to the well in DCI these days seems to be a bigger risk than foraging a new path – so we’ll see

Normally I’d cringe but they did such a good job with mixing the two last year….but then there was that beat poetry which mitigates my expectations back to neutral

Going back to the well in DCI these days seems to be a bigger risk than foraging a new path – so we’ll see

You're in luck; the statute of limitations will expire on the 2004 use of the poetry with the commencement of the 2014 season. Just hold out another few months! We'll all be pulling for you. :smile:

However, I really like your observation about "going back to the well." Fans (myself included) will always be more likely to compare a newer production that does so to the older production that has gained further acceptability over the passing years.

I think one reason Crown's 2013 show was so successful was there was nothing to which it could be compared, and so fans could just concentrate on appreciating it for its sheer awesomeness.

• Like 2

With all the Blast! connections at Crown, I'm anticipating a Didgeridoo piece and a mostly-vocal Simple Gifts. But PLEASE no "Blue! Yellow! Red...Red...Red......Yellow!"

• Like 2

Maybe they are going all out and doing The Damnation of Faust), It is a work for four solo voices, full seven-part chorus, large children's chorus and orchestra by the French composer Hector Berlioz. He called it a "légende dramatique" (dramatic legend). It was first performed at the Opéra-Comique in Paris on 6 December 1846.

My link

Edited by blueorginal

Encouraging people to audition who have vocal talents is not the same thing as requiring someone to have vocal talent, so I'm not sure we can read into this post all that critically to decide what Crown will be doing next year. I'm also not sure we can expect that since Crown used vocals and spoken work so prominently in 2013 that it will be a given in 2014. 2009's "The Grass is Always Greener" was a departure from what was done earlier, as was 2011's "Rach Star" and to a lesser extent "For the Common Good." There are certain "Crownisms" that make Crown Crown that we see in all their shows, but I think they're pretty good at reinventing themselves and being creative.To me, "E=MC2" was one of those memorable shows that was very different from anything we've seen and can't be repeated. I'm not saying a victory by Crown can't be repeated, but I don't expect it will happen a similar show.

• Like 1

Maybe they are going all out and doing The Damnation of Faust), It is a work for four solo voices, full seven-part chorus, large children's chorus and orchestra by the French composer Hector Berlioz. He called it a "légende dramatique" (dramatic legend). It was first performed at the Opéra-Comique in Paris on 6 December 1846.

My link

This would be a very interesting idea but I'd see this more as a Phantom show than Crown and actually was surprised that when Phantom did a Faust themed show in 2006, they did no use Berlioz. Personally would have love for them to have used Gounod and Boito as well, but as other posters have been quick to point out, opera does not always translate well into drum corps.