Why no Skycam Tom?

Ghost

With football back I was curious why Tom Blair hasn't included this option? Using one must have been discussed at some point. Would all the costs be that prohibitive?

I saw a documentary once that talked extensively about the use of 'sky cam' in sporting events (long story short, it was detailing the press & officiating involved in world football/soccer's 'Club World Cup'). I got the impression from that documentary that not only is sky cam pretty expensive to operate * maintain, but it is also a bit 'temperamental.'

Also, I wonder if it would be obtrusive for full over-head shots with the field-length wire. It would be kind of cool and would make for potentially a lot more dramatic, sweeping shots across the field/corps' section

First thought - you almost certainly would see it in all of the high camera shots.

Second thought - in addition to the fall that was linked above - there have been several additional failures of these camera systems in recent years that led to cameras and/or cables falling to the competitive surface below. Most recently, it happened at the NASCAR race in Charlotte this spring and several fans were injured. There are several versions of the system that are in use, but many of the sanctioning bodies are reviewing their use.

• Like 1

Yes, there have been a few incidents over the years, but rather a small percentage to the thousands of times various events have used one. The insurance costs for its use during three nights during finals weeks might not be worth it. DVD costs would go sky high!

Edited by Ghost

I've been interested in this technology and thought it'd be perfect for drum corps. I figured it was expensive, but it has successfully used at Lucas Oil Stadium. Some of the cost could be offset by using the top cam in place pf the jib cam (the moving cam on the 40). my .02

I'd rather not see one of those things zooming back and forth across the field while I'm watching on high cam.

I looked into Skycam many years ago and it was (and remains) astronomically expensive. Since the early days, there are now several variations on the original, but they are still very, very expensive to use. Almost all the networks get them specifically sponsored before they book them for a show.

Beckham makes a good point, too, about the annoyance factor for the audience. Reminds me of the cries to use a blimp. Ever been around an event with a blimp? They are loud and distracting. Not the kind of thing you want overhead as SCV's lone mellophone is playing "Bring Him Home."

• Like 2

...Ever been around an event with a blimp? They are loud and distracting. Not the kind of thing you want overhead as SCV's lone mellophone is playing "Bring Him Home."

Could we use a blimp if we keep the Lucas Oil Stadium roof closed?

Oh...wait.

In the right hands, this would be a much better option.

Rifle and flag tosses from 10 feet above the guard would be really cool.

How about focusing on the drum line solo from above? Seeing bass mallet runs from above would be wild.

Could show some real promise in drill as designers design sections specifically for the drone shot; views not available from the stands, for sale only on the BluRays.

Two or three of these running simultaneously would be dirt-cheap and could produce 1080 quality cuts.

How about from sideline to sideline over the top of the corps from 20 feet up, then following a company front to the sidelines from the 6 foot level?

Imagination could make the Drone-cam view on the discs worth charging a little extra for. They're light and, relatively inexpensive.

• Like 1