Random Cadets question...

JKT90

Wrong.

Glassmen marched right foot under Dan Acheson. They actually switched back to left when Brian became director for the '97 season. I do not know when they started doing the right foot.

Brian also marched late 80's-early 90's. Well after the front ensemble was grounded. I believe he marched cymbals and played in the front ensemble during his marching career. I think he aged out in 1990 along with my former caption head, Lee Beddis.

He begun working for the Cadets administratively after he aged out.

I was unaware of the Glassmen doing right foot when Dan was about. But you edited out what I wrote: at least part of the Gmen story of being right footers had to do...

I am lucky enough to be considered a personal friend of Brian and his extended family all the way back to when he came from Fairfax as a high schooler through his marching career and even when he took the year off for the stint in England while his Dad, Bill, was in the Navy. I was his guest for his recitals for his degrees, especially at JMU, Most years we still get together once or twice.

You are correct that Brian started as a cymbal player. The Cadets, however, have had several times when the pit, or some of its instruments, were on the move to give certain musical dimensions on the field. One such moment most folks know are the two pit members during WSS in '84, one playing a flat zylophone as they progressed from midfield to the front sideline.

Yup, Lee Beddis was also there and is also a friend except when we talk hockey.

Edited by drilltech1

Lee is always easy to spot on the sideline on finals night in his Maple Leafs jersey.

Ultimately I don't know why the corps switched back to left foot when Brian became director. Ultimately, I think Brian may have had some disagreements with the Cadets organization so he wanted to distance himself from those. He knew I appeared at auditions after attending 2 Cadets camps in '98. I remember talking with him once on a break late in the season where he told me someday we'd have a talk about that over a beer at some point after the summer but we never did.

Not to sidetrack the topic but its sad the whole Glassmen situation occurred in recent years. I always liked Brian and he was always good to me when I came to visit the corps. Its sad the financial situation escalated a few years to long before anyone really tried to do anything about it.

Back on topic, I taught a high school band that marched right foot and I honestly preferred it. Most playing begins with the right hand so it seemed easier to teach kids to start moving and to start playing with the same side of their body.

Lee is always easy to spot on the sideline on finals night in his Maple Leafs jersey.

Ultimately I don't know why the corps switched back to left foot when Brian became director. Ultimately, I think Brian may have had some disagreements with the Cadets organization so he wanted to distance himself from those. He knew I appeared at auditions after attending 2 Cadets camps in '98. I remember talking with him once on a break late in the season where he told me someday we'd have a talk about that over a beer at some point after the summer but we never did.

Not to sidetrack the topic but its sad the whole Glassmen situation occurred in recent years. I always liked Brian and he was always good to me when I came to visit the corps. Its sad the financial situation escalated a few years to long before anyone really tried to do anything about it.

Back on topic, I taught a high school band that marched right foot and I honestly preferred it. Most playing begins with the right hand so it seemed easier to teach kids to start moving and to start playing with the same side of their body.

"disagreements" may leave readers with a negative impression. Let us just say that the new director didn't want to be mistaken as a little Hopkins-clone but his own man and his own corps. He respects George a LOT!

"disagreements" may leave readers with a negative impression. Let us just say that the new director didn't want to be mistaken as a little Hopkins-clone but his own man and his own corps. He respects George a LOT!

Understandable. George is a big shadow to come out from under. Even 15 years ago before YEA became the organization it is and they were still the Cadets of Bergen County.

One such moment most folks know are the two pit members during WSS in '84, one playing a flat zylophone as they progressed from midfield to the front sideline.

I never knew he has my ring!

Which one is he, and which one's Beddis? And who's the 3rd guy?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/84bdsop/media/3xylos_zps833d6c33.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

More importantly when did the plumes begin to bounce? :cool:

I never knew he has my ring!

Which one is he, and which one's Beddis? And who's the 3rd guy?

http://smg.photobuck...html?sort=3&o=0

Lee Beddis was ALWAYS a snare drummer and was later, at least 87 to 90 when he aged out with a ring to match what he won in 87.

He was part of the great Canadian crew which came South (Vanderkoff, Gardiner, Miekle brothers, Christine Densmore Higgins, and the Ventures group. Speaking of Kitchner kids, their Octoberfest should be in full swing now!)

In the photo, that's Aaron Goldberg to your far left; Mike Skouras in the center; to your far right I can't decipher the face, and it has been 30 years since this photo was taken (my old memory is too full with accumulated factoids since then to be further exact but I think it is one of the Quebecois,, Louis, we had in the corps at the time but my memory is foggy.. Any help out there, Maroon team as I am probably incorrect.

It is not Brian Hickman if that is what you are expecting. I am trying to remember whether it was Brian's second or third season that he skipped because his family was temporarily stationed in England; we didn't have the trans-Atlantic cross-pond shuttles then that DCI has today; Martin and John from Birmingham were the first to start that route. Any more details and this will have to be bounced to the historical forum.

I know someone will comment on the haircuts, "a bit different" from the close crop, almost skinheads, many Cadets have worn from about late '80's (this photo is '84.) to the present. Of course the show is a about Puerto Rican and Italian gangs in NYC during earlier decades, and not all wore flatheads then. With Aaron and Mike, even a daily shearing would still not be enough sez this guy who combs over his two strands of hair left on his head.

Thanks for bringing back the memory of a great show and great people!

Edited by drilltech1

More importantly when did the plumes begin to bounce? :cool:

Rumors abound on tour that in a cost-saving move, the chickens used for their feathers were not yet dead.

They were being saved for one of those tremendous Greg Pych feasts he prepares for Finals week. Hope he is feeling better soon.

• Like 2

Rumors abound on tour that in a cost-saving move, the chickens used for their feathers were not yet dead.

They were being saved for one of those tremendous Greg Pych feasts he prepares for Finals week. Hope he is feeling better soon.

What is wrong with Greg? We marched together in Garfield. He played mellophone when I marched with him.

What is wrong with Greg? We marched together in Garfield. He played mellophone when I marched with him.

not exactly sure. Didn't see him once on tour or at a contest all summer. I heard he was deathly sick. Hope the rumors aren't true. He's a big behind the scenes support.