Interservice Academy Competition

On 10/1/2013 at 6:12 AM, Kamarag said:

No, but it does show that drum corps isn't the revenue generator that football is.

This isn't necessarily why this has happened. The three corps are very different ducks with very different purposes that they serve. Fulfilling the Missions laid out by Academy Leadership is number one, the competition isn't necessarily that important in carrying out said mission.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigW said:

This isn't necessarily why this has happened. The three corps are very different ducks with very different purposes that they serve. Fulfilling the Missions laid out by Academy Leadership is number one, the competition isn't necessarily that important in carrying out said mission.

Looking back, now that this thread has been revived for a bit... like I said back in '13, it was such an honor to be involved with that show, every other year in Annapolis.

I was the announcer in Annapolis from 1999 through the final one in 2011...and it was easily one of the most fun gigs on the schedule for me, every time. And the corps all got better as the years went on.

I agree, W... the academy corps are serving a different purpose than the average competitive drum corps.  And I believe the Naval Academy corps might be the oldest continuously-operating drum corps in the USA. They celebrated their 100th birthday in 2014, and a guy from Baltimore had the distinct privilege of being their "halftime voice" at the Army-Navy game that year. :innocent: Without a doubt, the most amazing event that guy has ever attended.  LOL. A great, memorable day.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I agree, W... the academy corps are serving a different purpose than the average competitive drum corps.  And I believe the Naval Academy corps might be the oldest continuously-operating drum corps in the USA. They celebrated their 100th anniversary in 2014, and a guy from Baltimore had the distinct privilege of being their "halftime voice" at the Army-Navy game that year. :innocent: Without a doubt, the most amazing event that guy has ever attended.  LOL. A great, memorable day.

Have read about the Naval Academy corps in history of DC books and they were inactive at times for few years. Once very early because head of Academy didn’t think a Corps was that important. Another time Corps was pre-empted by WWII. Serving a different purpose is a spot on way to describe it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Have read about the Naval Academy corps in history of DC books and they were inactive at times for few years. Once very early because head of Academy didn’t think a Corps was that important. Another time Corps was pre-empted by WWII. Serving a different purpose is a spot on way to describe it. 

So... not totally continously operating.  Thank for clarifying!!!

Yep... I guess a world war would be a good reason to not do drum corps for a bit. :laughing:

• Haha 1

CGA just got a new head and EVERY program is under scrutiny and review. None of their musical groups are agreeing to performances more than 90 days before proposed event. We have a joint 375 town anniversary parade coupled with the local Columbus Day parade and Congress person and 2 Senators requesting; but CGA is standing firm while audit is done for 2019-20.

27 minutes ago, xandandl said:

CGA just got a new head and EVERY program is under scrutiny and review. None of their musical groups are agreeing to performances more than 90 days before proposed event. We have a joint 375 town anniversary parade coupled with the local Columbus Day parade and Congress person and 2 Senators requesting; but CGA is standing firm while audit is done for 2019-20.

Wow... I hope those groups survive.

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

Ouch auditing and fiscal 2020 still 2 1/2 months away. Project I work on for Navy is short handed  but may be for next few months until $$$ for 2019-2020 is straightened out.... 

And down at Annapolis, a change of command ceremony is scheduled July 26, according to the Capital Gazette newspaper. "Ted" Carter will be replaced by Rear Admiral Sean S. Buck.

West Point and the Hellcats are still on alert for axe-throwers. ( May not be looking good for Crossmen's show this year.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trying to remember details but heard rumors of 10% cut for certain military “pots” for coming fiscal year. Time to search emails when I have time.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

And down at Annapolis, a change of command ceremony is scheduled July 26, according to the Capital Gazette newspaper. "Ted" Carter will be replaced by Rear Admiral Sean S. Buck.

West Point and the Hellcats are still on alert for axe-throwers. ( May not be looking good for Crossmen's show this year.)

nah not with the 2 yard safe zone