George Hopkins - soothsayer

believe me I know plenty on the area and how many feel..although Not like others I would NEVER speak for any majority..IMO.sometimes stats, polls, etc etc are only as good as those who take part in them....thats it..........how many elected officials have we've seen low in the polls and who win or even on here or DCI info...Ive never trusted polls for any accurate info...............as i said this has been beat to death....who cares what we spin..or what the motive for GH statements, if it changes fine if it doesnt fine......This has been beat to death before and went nowhere ..gotta wonder if it was brought up AGAIN for the sake of the subject or GH....ughhhhh.............lol................peace :smile:

I can guarantee you that it was brought up because of the subject, the current news, and GH.

I originally thought I'd be giving him credit for his foresight. That's obviously not how it turned out.

... stats, polls, etc etc are only as good as those who take part in them...

totally agree......although there are many here and else where that live by these polls like they are total fact and shows majority....so not true in most if not all cases

The link provided by Pete was not a 'poll' but actual hard data. And that 'hard data' shows a very, very low percentage of all youth fatalities occur due to the misuse of firearms. That is fact not opinion.

The link provided by Pete was not a 'poll' but actual hard data. And that 'hard data' shows a very, very low percentage of all youth fatalities occur due to the misuse of firearms. That is fact not opinion.

does it really matter if its a low number or not.............not as far as Im concerned...................this is not about any data BUT about a perception and everyone can have valid reasons for feeling how they do...data or NOT

I can guarantee you that it was brought up because of the subject, the current news, and GH.

I originally thought I'd be giving him credit for his foresight. That's obviously not how it turned out.

yes youre right.........Im glad you brought it up based on the subject BUT usually its how it turns out when talking about GH

does it really matter if its a low number or not.............not as far as Im concerned...................this is not about any data BUT about a perception and everyone can have valid reasons for feeling how they do...data or NOT

Perception is 'not' reality. If I walk out into a street a 'perceive' that the truck is not comming at me I will still get hit by the 'reality'. While human behavior is swayed by perception, false perception is still false perception (ie.. the common false perception that you should never swim within an hour of eating) and thus human behavior should be modified by facts not perception or fact ignoring PC.

Edited by Stu

Perception is 'not' reality. If I walk out into a street a 'perceive' that the truck is not comming at me I will still get hit by the 'reality'. While human behavior is swayed by perception, false perception is still false perception (ie.. the common false perception that you should never swim within an hour of eating) and thus human behavior should be modified by facts not myth, or fact ignoring PC.

perception indeed is reality my friend....and on either side what ever the numbers are if its 1 or 1million you cannot down play any concerns, feelings, wants in changes and just beacuse there are oppositions to the opposite side of the coin doesnt make it any less valid. False perception or reality IMO are those who only see one side as well as believe that most agree especially based on so called facts usually gatherd with an agenda in mind.......................this is why no matter what the poll or so called facts are there is always another in the opposite.....jmo

According to the data "in which you cite" only 0.2%, that is less than one quarter of one percent, of the youth mortality rate comes from accidental shooting from a firearm (which includes hunting accidents, weapons cleaned while loaded, mistaken identity during a home invasion, and a plethora of other activities along with kids 'playing' with guns), and it is three times less than youth death by burning in a fire which is 0.7%. Youth suicide by a firearm is only at 0.8% of all deaths and is less than self-strangulation at 0.9%. As for youth homicide with firearm, it is only 2.7% of all youth deaths (and this included all drug and gang related homicides like what is going on in the south side of Chicago). So, if you consider the PC complaints and 'banning' of things like wooden rifles and plastic sabers is correct the logical conclusion would be that you also favor the PC banning of any item on the MCH Center list which cause a higher youth mortality rate than firearms; like things associated with swimming (ie drowning) and motor vehicles which comes in at 8.1% of all youth fatalities.

Really, a moment's thought would show that not only to many people express great concern about the safety of both of these activities, but in fact they are both aggressively regulated. By government. One by a long history of safety regulations and testing, the other by having an 'expert' on hand at all times watching you swim.

So, thanks for the data; it actually shows the outrageousness of the PC panic concerning firearms.

It shows the reasonableness of color guards responding to concerns about rifles, as long as they are not considered in a vacuum.

Really, a moment's thought would show that not only to many people express great concern about the safety of both of these activities, but in fact they are both aggressively regulated. By government. One by a long history of safety regulations and testing, the other by having an 'expert' on hand at all times watching you swim.

But the behavior and decisions of the operators of swimming pools are not being swayed by PC issues such as those who dislike the wearing of bikinis and thus banning that swimware accordingly.

It shows the reasonableness of color guards responding to concerns about rifles, as long as they are not considered in a vacuum.

I do not call it 'reasonable'; reason is something based on fact of data not emotional concern of PC opinion. For example: there is nothing 'reasonable' about expelling a child from school for drawing a loving picture of his dad as an army man whose duty is to protect his child and his nation. And there is nothing 'reasonable' about eliminating rifles and sabers from the drum corps activity with the PC believing that tossing a wooden rifle in a marching band or drum corps leads to, or reflects, crime with real weapons.

Edited by Stu

perception indeed is reality my friend....

So if I walk out into a street and 'perceive' that the truck is not there it will, 'in reality', not hit me? If I 'perceive' that I am wealthy I will, 'in reality', have millions of dollars in the bank? Or is perception just something which modifies behavior?

So if I walk out into a street and 'perceive' that the truck is not there it will, 'in reality', not hit me? If I 'perceive' that I am wealthy I will, 'in reality', have millions of dollars in the bank? Or is perception just something which modifies behavior?

I dont mind a debate with you SOMETIMES but IMO those are rediculous examples.....Im not saying Im for or against any of this BUT certainly in todays world there is a real concern and should not be ignored. There are many affected and their REALITY if it fits in some neat little package of scewed facts or not can not be ignored or .

trivialized