Where do the great ideas/concepts start?

Where do the great ideas originate?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Where do the great ideas start?

• Drum Corps
    • Marching Band
    • Indoor Drumline
    • Winter Guard
    • Other

And / or alcohol. Maybe both...

About to say the best show design meetings I've been involved with have always been at a bar or involved copious amounts of alcohol in other ways. I think others were reading something out of HerbalLife.

Very interesting poll. I personally believe that a lot of innovative ideas come from other sources such as: opera, broadway musicals, art, and great literature. For example, a visual designer can get plenty of ideas from studying art. I am sure there are other sources that I completely missed.

1. Bar/Alcohol

Shower/Bathroom related activities

Jamming out to something while driving down a random country road

I've talked to a few "big names" in the activity about this (don't have permission to use their names so I won't). Most of the time they say their inspiration is taken from listening to things and jotting it down. Lots of times they have a big list of things to use in shows, some of them end up getting used, some of them not.

At a high school competition on the west coast today I found it interesting to see how many high schools grab ideas from the previous DCI season. I saw several version of the Phantom trees and some Cadet-like towers. One high school even went as far as too basically take a transcription of the music (not visual though) of Vanguard's "Bring Him Home". These are just a few examples but there were a whole days worth of bands with borrowed ideas.