Old School park and blow

For those who like old school park and blow music and drill, my alma mater did a throw back show called "One More Time" (you'll get it when you hear it). Lots of corps represented with these guys...Jacksonville State University - Marching Southerners. They generally are more DCI oriented shows, but this year they decided to give a shout to "Old School"...one more time.

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVXchG6aCTk

This was filmed after the game...

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 4

Loved it! Thanks for sharing!

For those who like old school park and blow music and drill, my alma mater did a throw back show called "One More Time" (you'll get it when you hear it). Lots of corps represented with these guys...Jacksonville State University - Marching Southerners. They generally are more DCI oriented shows, but this year they decided to give a shout to "Old School"...one more time.

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVXchG6aCTk

This was filmed after the game...

Crowd there seemed to like the music too. They got a terrific response... from what appears in the video to be a relatively young age demographic. ' Not a lot of older Drum Corps Alums/ fans in those stands one would have to assume. Thanks for the link. it was enjoyable to listen to !

Crowd there seemed to like the music too. They got a terrific response... from what appears in the video to be a relatively young age demographic. ' Not a lot of older Drum Corps Alums/ fans in those stands one would have to assume. Thanks for the link. it was enjoyable to listen to !

The crowd stays after the game to watch a full show run. There were a lot of alums there too since it was homecoming. Generally, about 80% of the group are music majors, and about 8 of the top 12 corps are represented most years. Most of the drum line is SOA and a few Cavies, on the brass they have Phantom, Spirit, Carolina Crown, Cadets, Music City, SCV and generally at least a couple on the guard from the Blue Devils...I remember fall rehearsals was a field of corps jackets on display.

After seeing the show I can say I do NOT miss symmetrical, or drum line elevator drill :)

I really enjoyed the video. It just proves that there's room in DCI for all styles of entertainment. It's all cool!

I also enjoyed the video, and Madison, you'd better call they police. Someone stole your sound and arrangements.

While I will say it had a late 80's sound, I'm not sure I'd call it "Old School." For one thing, I would not consider a group with a pit old school. As far as drill is concerned, was it by choice they used some old school moves or necessity? My guess is there had to be over 300 people on the field. Would an asymmetrical drill work with so many people on the field? . This is probably why the drum line marched as one poster put it "elevator style."

As I stated earlier, I thought sound wise they were most like Madison. I remember back in the day they could certainly blow their horns like there was no tomorrow. I don't think my ears have recovered from their 1999 performance at Lynn's Manning Bowl ("Jesus Christ, Superstar"). I would also venture to say that this past year's performance was their best since 1999, but I digress and don't want to hijack this thread, but I don't remember them parked as they blew their horns in some fo their greatest shows.

However, what did impress me was the audience response. Now that was old school and if you were at Indy this year and saw the crowd respond to Troopers, Madison, SCV, and Crown, you'd see some things never change. But they connected with the show and that made a huge difference.

Edited by Tim K

While I will say it had a late '80s sound, I'm not sure I'd call it "Old School." For one thing, I would not consider a group with a pit old school.

Your remark reminds me of a comment in praise of this performance, very much not corps style, by a high school band in last year's "Buckeye Invitational":

"I don't understand 'marching' bands that have instruments on the sidelines."

(If you watch that video, dig the opening remark by the announcer!)

As far as drill is concerned, was by choice they used some old school moves or necessity? My guess is there had to be over 300 people on the field. Would an asymmetrical drill work with so many people on the field? . This is probably why the drum line marched as one poster put it "elevator style."

Dunno. My former high school's marching band has 275 members this year (more than twice as many as when I was a student nearly 25 years ago, though down from their peak membership), but their drill is largely assymetrical and their battery in particular certainly doesn't move like an elevator. (No link because the show, even though it may be the best they've done in years, still needs the three weeks of work yet to come. Even then it would be of only limited interest.)

Dunno. My former high school's marching band has 275 members this year (more than twice as many as when I was a student nearly 25 years ago, though down from their peak membership), but their drill is largely assymetrical and their battery in particular certainly doesn't move like an elevator. (No link because the show, even though it may be the best they've done in years, still needs the three weeks of work yet to come. Even then it would be of only limited interest.)

i think that at a certain point (Number of musicians on the field), it just doesn't make sense to have anything really other than symmetrical drill. The field just looks like a cluttered mess IMO. This does not mean in any way that I do not enjoy it.

• Like 1

I was at a marching band competition this past weekend. A college band from IUP (Indiana Universirty of PA) gave the exhibition. No gimmicks, electronics and no pit. They are on you tube. It was refreshing to see.