Scores..."where everything is made up and the points don't mat

But you only learn the underlined if you win?

Hey Jeff.... did you know it's not possible for a corps to put a show together in 6 weekends? I'd call that going beyond expectations..... :wink:

There is that word 'only' again. NO; you do not 'only' learn it if you always win the entire Enchilada; you learn it through the process of attaing the win (with an entity that is always striving to win) and not just satisfied with, "Well, we did our best and that is what counts". That is why I like the Sean Connery quote from the movie The Rock so much, "Losers say they do their best; winners go home and #### the prom queen!"

Edited by Stu

and all one has to do is look up DCI and see that the applicant didn't win....so, then did they lie in their interview?

As always Stu, you reach for the holy grail, but dig the hole to deep to climb up and get it

It is not a lie if you actually won DCI, or won BOA, or won the Little League World Series, or won the NCAA,... !

Edited by Stu

Guess my problem is I'm too deep in the nutz n bolts of IT work.... Last tasking I went after (still there) concerned lot of coding needed "like now" in two languages (one very few heard of). After 20 minute description of what the coding would do it boiled down to.

Me: Sounds like my current task but don't know that other language...

Boss: How well can you read other code and tweak it to what we need?

Me: So cut 'n paste... beat it to death testing to get it to work... and then really learn it later... huh?

Boss: That's about it <IOW - we're screwed> we can get you access to the system by Monday.

IOW - nothing about how to win or making the workplace the best it can be (that's a given IMO) just a polite version of "can you do the bloody job".

Me; I became the Boss! :satisfied:

Interesting; so I take it that since success is defined by each person, you teach kids that if they want to define their own academic success, as opposed to the school setting the success standards, as having an overall GPA of 57% is fine and dandy? I mean they are defining their own success and should not be required to measure up to anyone elses standard correct?

Actually, it could be. I have students who are on an IEP and having a GPA of 57% would be 20-25 percentage points above where the are normally. Would they consider that successful? Possibly. I also currently have a student that has just been diagnosed with a severe medical condition and has missed over half of the school year to date. Prior to this year she had been a straight A student, but currently has C's and B's. In you opinion, is she successful? But let's turn this around. Can you be "successful" with anything less than a GPA of 100%?

Actually, it could be. I have students who are on an IEP and having a GPA of 57% would be 20-25 percentage points above where the are normally. Would they consider that successful? Possibly. I also currently have a student that has just been diagnosed with a severe medical condition and has missed over half of the school year to date. Prior to this year she had been a straight A student, but currently has C's and B's. In you opinion, is she successful? But let's turn this around. Can you be "successful" with anything less than a GPA of 100%?

a) Come on; I am 'not' talking about special cases or special needs people; and b) Those that succeed, I mean really succeed at becoming the best in the world at their craft, all have the attitude that 97% is still a 3% failure rate.

There is that word 'only' again. NO; you do not 'only' learn it if you always win the entire Enchilada; you learn it through the process of attaing the win (with an entity that is always striving to win) and not just satisfied with, "Well, we did our best and that is what counts". That is why I like the Sean Connery quote from the movie The Rock so much, "Losers say they do their best; winners go home and #### the prom queen!"

Well I'm thrown by what I underlined below from your earlier post: It's where I picked up "only"

"Where did I ever state or imply learning how to win makes for a better husband or dad? I did not! Where did I state that learning how to win in a competitive activity like DCI will teach the ‘specific’ skills sets for a particular job like Aero Space Engineering? I never made that claim. But learning how to win via a competitive activity (whether football, basketball, or drum corps), and learning the tenacity to not only accomplish a task but to go beyond expectation, especially beyond your own expectation, to win, is something which is only taught by winners. As to how this is appled to real life interviews for career positions..."

Me; I became the Boss! :satisfied:

Yeah but my big bosses wear uniforms :tounge2: (work for Dept of Defense.. mostly Navy).....

Well I'm thrown by what I underlined below from your earlier post: It's where I picked up "only"

"Where did I ever state or imply learning how to win makes for a better husband or dad? I did not! Where did I state that learning how to win in a competitive activity like DCI will teach the ‘specific’ skills sets for a particular job like Aero Space Engineering? I never made that claim. But learning how to win via a competitive activity (whether football, basketball, or drum corps), and learning the tenacity to not only accomplish a task but to go beyond expectation, especially beyond your own expectation, to win, is something which is only taught by winners. As to how this is appled to real life interviews for career positions..."

Yep, I made a boo-boo; and thank you for pointing it out I retract the word 'only' and replace it with the word 'mainly' as in "...something which is mainly taught by winners.".

p.s. so I am now at 99%, with a 1% failure rate dang-it!!!

Edited by Stu