Cavaliers just got a Fuel Injection in the Staff Department.

From Alan Armstong Facebook page

"I'm pleased to announce that I will be joining with my friends David McGrath, Chip Crotts, Freddy Martin, Michael Martin, Clark Hunt and Patrick Hinton and serving in an instructional role with the Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps. "

Holy Snot Knockers thats some heavy hitters.

Freddy's participation also helps explain (at least partially) why Cavaliers are holding an audition camp in Atlanta this year (along with Phantom, BAC, and Bluecoats). Still trying to figure out if it's because of the amount of talent there or that really swell airport with lots of direct flights.

I marched with Clark in '05. Why aren't more of those guys involved with SOA?

Freddy's participation also helps explain (at least partially) why Cavaliers are holding an audition camp in Atlanta this year (along with Phantom, BAC, and Bluecoats). Still trying to figure out if it's because of the amount of talent there or that really swell airport with lots of direct flights.

So it is cheaper to bring all the audition paraphernalia & staff to Atlanta than to fly him to Chicago?

I detect good strategy (hiring Martin et al), but poor tactics ...

Maybe Cavaliers have $$ to burn.

It's not always a question of what's cheaper. Many corps have audition camps in multiple locations. Making it easier for potential members to get to an audition increases the odds of attracting the best talent.

So it is cheaper to bring all the audition paraphernalia & staff to Atlanta than to fly him to Chicago?

I detect good strategy (hiring Martin et al), but poor tactics ...

Maybe Cavaliers have $$ to burn.

Have you seen what all the DCI Corps (NOT JUST CAVIES) are charging for Audition packs, Audition fees and housing fees during Auditions??? And its not just one Audtion weekend. Its multiple call backs. Right up to the weekend you are offered a contract. And then you might even be one of those that pays out up to $1K including airfare to find out you are not even offered a contract.?????

I think they are making plenty of money to cover not only the Audition cost's but probably putting a little money into the corps budget during this process as well. This goes for all the corps not just the Cavies.

who is alan armstrong?

Spirit of Atlanta Vet from Back in the day. Brass caption Head of Atlanta CV DCA All Age Drum and Bugle corps. All Round Nice Guy and HS Band Director Extrodineir.

We (The Cavaliers) should be announcing our full brass team in the coming week, and to say the least...we're excited about the caliber of these experienced educators and performers who will be leading our brass students.

The Cavaliers have held auditions in Atlanta before, as it's no secret that there are many talented prospective members in the area (and the Southeast). It just so happens that this year, we already had our standard Chicago and Austin camps nailed down prior to David McGrath and his team coming on board. The management then made a decision to add an additional satellite camp in Atlanta to round out our 2014 audition events.

Of course, having a mostly local brass leadership team there in Atlanta helps reduce travel and facility expenses significantly, especially since that audition is a brass-only camp, but we are continuously looking at our recruiting and event mix to give more students an opportunity to become part of the Green Machine.

Should be a busy audition season for us, with our percussion section's appearance at PASIC and BOA Grand National Championships next weekend in Indy; auditions for Green Thunder Percussion, our indoor percussion ensemble; and our three audition events in Atlanta (11/24 brass only), Chicago (12/6-8), and Austin (12/14-15) for membership in The Cavaliers.

Plus, we should be dropping the percussion and guard staff announcements in the short term, as well!

• Like 1

From Alan Armstong Facebook page

"I'm pleased to announce that I will be joining with my friends David McGrath, Chip Crotts, Freddy Martin, Michael Martin, Clark Hunt and Patrick Hinton and serving in an instructional role with the Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps. "

Holy Snot Knockers thats some heavy hitters.

Many of us have no idea who he is. Glad to hear he is respect thought!