Carolina Crown: Play charts that nobody else could play.

The Poll  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Does Crown play charts that no other drum corps could play?

• True
    • False

At a guest lecture by John Cage at the Eastman School of Music back in the 1970's, the composer was taking questions from the audience. A disgruntled person in the audience proceeded to tell Cage, "ANYONE could write your music!"

The composer responded by saying "Yes, but no one does"

Could other corps play what Crown plays? Maybe, but no one does.

I am reminded of my high school Western Civ. teacher, Mr. Wilberschied, probably the most charismatic teacher or professor I ever had. Late in the school year, he would take each of his classes on a tour of the Cleveland Museum of Art. Invariably as the group reached a gallery featuring modern abstract art, e.g. a piece of sculpture that consists of various found items welded together, some student would say, "I could have made that."

His response; "Ah, but you didn't!"

I haven't listened to that podcast in a few weeks, but I believe the point of the original statement had to do with Crown's approach to selecting music, and not to suggest or assert that other corps would be incapable of playing the music Crown plays.

That's what I thought too, and that is 100% correct. Blue Devils would not arrange Cage + The Abyss the same as Crown did, just as Cadets would be different from all three & Phantom Regiment would do their own unique thing. I think to separate yourself (corps-wise) from the competition, you have to be unique in design approach: even if your approach is similar year-to-year as long as it is still unique to your competition. Crown has become perennial contenders (and Champion) because of their unique design approach both musically and visually.

Kinda off topic, but anyone want to put an over/under on the chances of Crown 2013 being on DCI's Essentials: Champions vol. 3? Seems logical that DCI would put out volume three sometime late winter/early spring before the 2014 season and with Crown being a seeming crowd favorite it wouldn't surprise me to see them on the next 'Champions' mix.

I think a better title isnt "Play Charts" but should be "Play the same charts at the same level and proficiency" and to me that answer is NO!!!

I am sure almost any hornline could "play" the charts but how would the end product sound relative to the level at which Crown performs??

I think a better title isnt "Play Charts" but should be "Play the same charts at the same level and proficiency" and to me that answer is NO!!!

I am sure almost any hornline could "play" the charts but how would the end product sound relative to the level at which Crown performs??

I think most of the top 6 corps can play to the same level and proficiency as Crown performs. Easily. Crown is nowhere to the level that Blue Devils have held for the past 30 years. I loved Crown brass this year, and the last few years as well. But Blue Devils have by far had the most consistent brass over the last 3 decades.

• Like 1

I think most of the top 6 corps can play to the same level and proficiency as Crown performs. Easily. Crown is nowhere to the level that Blue Devils have held for the past 30 years. I loved Crown brass this year, and the last few years as well. But Blue Devils have by far had the most consistent brass over the last 3 decades.

Like I said, maybe they can play with the same proficiency.....but they don't.