2014 Predictions Thread

Don't know about anyone else... but I gotta figure there are a bunch of corps who would love to be "overrated" like the Bucs. :smile:

Actually I think most of the corps would like to be judged evenly and fairly

I stand by my statement. Why aren't the music ensemble judges nailing them for unbalanced brass sound. Couldn't hear the tubas during most of the show and their feature with the drum line in person and can only hear a little bit of it on the dvd. Its a good thing they had an awesome mello line this year because thats all I can hear. Their brass intonation is awful. Their percussion is good I'll give them that.

My point about C2 was that they aren't a threat to the likes of MBI or Cabs. They rely too heavily on Cadets to fill in after DCI is over to be clean and get the scores close enough all season. I'm glad they're around don't get me wrong but I don't think they're quite there yet.

Some might argue that C2 got the George Hopkins penalty after some of the comments he made prior to rolling into Finals. :)

Edited by camel lips

Generally out of tune, unbalanced, and not powerful. The Bucs never seem to be balanced correctly. LOTS of mellophone and no tuba. As a low brass guy I specifically listen for them but never was able to hear them. Not to mention I've heard not so good things coming out of their camp. I just think that Reading is generally VERY overrated.

A couple of notes:

1. Bucs had tuning issues (minor ones) at only one late-season show last year. Certainly not in Annapolis.

2. The very idea that you think there is such a thing as "correct balance" indicates you don't even understand what balance is or how it works. There's no one way to balance a brass line. You may not like how Reading balances, but that's just your opinion.

3. Now, last year's low brass was not Bucs' best by any stretch (they were FAR better in 2012), but they were still decent. In fact, the three best low brass sections in DCA over the last decade were all Reading lines (2005, 2009, 2012).

4. As for power, they put out more sound than any other line in Annapolis by a decent margin. Your comment about bucs being mid-rangy was absolutely true for the years Jay Bocook was writing the book, but not at all correct for the years before or after (years in which the corps won several championships and brass trophies).

5. I'm not sure how a corps that hasn't lost a show to anyone other than MBI over the LAST TEN YEARS could ever possibly be considered overrated, but whatever.

6. Cabs did indeed have a fantastic tuba line last year (the best I've heard in DCA in a long time), but they did have significant issues in the bari line (but well ahead of previous years, as Cabs rebuild and refine thier signature sound for the better).

Edited by Kamarag

I stand by my statement. Why aren't the music ensemble judges nailing them for unbalanced brass sound. Couldn't hear the tubas during most of the show and their feature with the drum line in person and can only hear a little bit of it on the dvd. Its a good thing they had an awesome mello line this year because thats all I can hear. Their brass intonation is awful. Their percussion is good I'll give them that.

My point about C2 was that they aren't a threat to the likes of MBI or Cabs. They rely too heavily on Cadets to fill in after DCI is over to be clean and get the scores close enough all season. I'm glad they're around don't get me wrong but I don't think they're quite there yet.

hmm. having seen Bucs live, i'm not remembering those issues.

oh well

• Like 2

Some might argue that C2 got the George Hopkins penalty after some of the comments he made prior to rolling into Finals. :)

or that they didnt have a good prelims run

• Like 1

There you go again Jeff....making logical sense.

Don't you know you're not supposed to do that here??

Jeeeeeez....when are you gonna learn!!!

These predictions are of course silly to be made this early, but it is fun to see if you can guess correctly at the end of the season. Show announcements and camp reports have helped make more educated guesses:

1. Bucs (they are my pick year after year because they are always up there... for now)
  2. MBI
  3. Cabs
  4. C2
  5. Alliance (heard good things coming out of their first camp)
  6. CV (see Alliance)
  7. Bushwackers (see CV)
  8. Hurricanes
  9. Fusion
  10. Carolina Gold

There are some other variables to consider. Sun Devils might come out as an Open Class group. I could imagine them getting an influx of people who do not want to commit to a summer long tour, now that Tampa has gone to DCI. Also, Sky is a wildcard, Sun had an argument for making it in last year and there is bound to be at least one more surprise to be added to Open Class this year.

Time will tell...

Edited by BOSMarcher

There you go again Jeff....making logical sense.

Don't you know you're not supposed to do that here??

Jeeeeeez....when are you gonna learn!!!

I know, I know

Actually, it would be really neat for the top three to be Bucs, Hurcs and Sky ... seeing this is the 50th Anniversary of the DCA ... that's the way they finished in 1965 ...

:-)

And the Hurcs' 60th Anniversary. Those 3 corps, plus Sun, healthy and competitive, would be wonderful for DCA and for drum corps. Add to that the Cabs, Bush, the great work Fusion has done, CV and more... man would that be neat!

Merry Christmas Andy - you just supplied my Christmas wish (don't anyone bother to tell me it would be a Christmas Miracle - I get it) - but if these corps have good membership that's ready to work, who really knows?

Edited by rayfallon