DCI BOD Drama....more to come?

Maybe they did feel it was ...who are you or I to say different.........................you had to get beat up in HS.....lol..........well then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

If one wants something to happen then they need to step up and get out from behind a computer or merely bark in a pack, otherwise there's no sense

mobilize

stand up

demand

hit them where it hurts

stand strong :fight:

other wise.......................................thanks for coming

a) I also suppose that a person can walk along a railroad track, ‘feel’ and ‘perceive’ that there is no train coming, and the ‘reality’ will be that he does not get exploded and bludgeoned to death when the ‘felt and perceived’ emptiness hits him.

b) I am about the size of Billy Cobham with the attitude of Buddy Rich, so no, I never got beat up in school. :sumo:

YAFSA!

How long do we have endure these failed sports analogies?

Drum corps is as much ART as sport.

Let's listen to the pop music of each decade and see if it changes?

:doh:

(btw change in nature is not by definition steady and constant -- sometimes it's violent -- cataclysmic even :-)

((furthermore who gets decide what is "natural" in drum corps? you? me? ))

But even in Art, or Pop Music, change is not a 'natural progression' but merely just change.

But even in Art, or Pop Music, change is not a 'natural progression' but merely just change.

The use of the term "natural" is creating a lot of ambiguity.

I'd suggest in this case we agree that natural means:

of or in agreement with the character or makeup of, or circumstances surrounding, someone or something.

In that case I think there are clearly "natural" progressions in art and music where a particular style is influenced by styles that preceeded it, by other contemporaneous events, etc...) .

Edited by corpsband

The use of the term "natural" is creating a lot of ambiguity.

I'd suggest in this case we agree that natural means:

of or in agreement with the character or makeup of, or circumstances surrounding, someone or something.

In that case I think there are clearly "natural" progressions in art and music where a particular style is influenced by styles that preceeded it, by other contemporaneous events, etc...) .

In that case, since there was no historical preceding connection between drum corps and high school marching bands (they developed independently of each other) there is no natural progression by adding high school marching band instrumentation, such as woodwinds, to drum corps but a purposeful and forced fusion of the two activities.

In that case, since there was no historical preceding connection between drum corps and high school marching bands (they developed independently of each other) there is no natural progression by adding high school marching band instrumentation, such as woodwinds, to drum corps but a purposeful and forced fusion of the two activities.

Hmm...even if that were some sort of logical argument (which it's not) that misses on a few fronts:

1. Modern competitive marching band has it's roots in the drum corps activity.

2. The two are still very closely related simply through "of the character or make up of" and certainly via "circumstances surrounding".

3. Many of the people who truly demanded these changes (the designers and instructors of DCI) live in both spaces.

(Not to mention this change in tact is a complete non sequitur -- we were talking about defning the word natural because it seemed clear to me it was too ambigious. But the word was used to describe historical changes to drum corps (some of which have nothing at all to do with MB) .

• Like 1

Hmm...even if that were some sort of logical argument (which it's not) that misses on a few fronts:

2. The two are still very closely related simply through "of the character or make up of" and certainly via "circumstances surrounding".

3. Many of the people who truly demanded these changes (the designers and instructors of DCI) live in both spaces.

(Not to mention this change in tact is a complete non sequitur -- we were talking about defning the word natural because it seemed clear to me it was too ambigious. But the word was used to describe historical changes to drum corps (some of which have nothing at all to do with MB) .

YES!!!!!! YOU ARE RIGHT.... Much of the reason Marching Band and drum corps share so much is mainly because drum corps people were hired to work with marching bands, re- designing from top to bottom. this is also alot of the reason why staff have brought the HS member ( most after graduation ) into the drum corps world , as well as music people from the band world into the drum corps world. I myself have brought at least half a dozen band directors into the drum corps world when they had no part of it before hand. Some have gone into the DCI world a few into top 12 and also into the DCA world........the 2 worlds in the past few decades have grown closer and closer together. agree with that or not, like it or not,these are facts, not fabrications.

I'll say it once again for those who like to pick apart a post to a one liner ( like some on Fox news...lol ) if you dont like something or someone's approach to the activity....STOP TALKING AND START DOING................you notice most wont answer that part....lol....oh well

Many can talk and talk and talk( and they do ) and nothing come of it...I believe it only takes a few who act on what they talk about to make change happen......Isnt that how DCI was formed way back when..that would be a yesssssss...................of course it's way easier to just B###h...lol :augen51:

Edited by GUARDLING

No it does not; high school marching band competitions have their roots in high school marching band competitions. Show me where high school marching bands have ever competed in the drum corps world of VFW, DCI, DCA, or any other drum corps activity and I will concede that the 'roots' are the same for drum corps competition and high school marching band competition.

I agree they are closley related; just like British Brass Bands are also closely related; but they are all still different activities.

.... Much of the reason Marching Band and drum corps share so much is mainly because drum corps people were hired to work with marching bands, re- designing from top to bottom. this is also alot of the reason why staff have brought the HS member ( most after graduation ) into the drum corps world , as well as music people from the band world into the drum corps world....

This is the fusion, the infiltration, the cross-breeding, etc... (which started to become noticable around thirty years ago or so and has drastically increased over the past decade); and thus is not a 'natural progression' of the drum corps activity but actually a morphing of two similar, but different, activities by people who have decided to simultaneously engage in both activities.

Edited by Stu

No it does not; high school marching band competitions have their roots in high school marching band competitions. Show me where high school marching bands have ever competed in the drum corps world of VFW, DCI, DCA, or any other drum corps activity and I will concede that the 'roots' are the same for drum corps competition and high school marching band competition.

I agree they are closley related; just like British Brass Bands are also closely related; but they are all still different activities.

This is the fusion, the infiltration, the cross-breeding, etc... (which started to become noticable around thirty years ago or so and has drastically increased over the past decade); and thus is not a 'natural progression' of the drum corps activity but actually a morphing of two similar, but different, activities by people who have decided to simultaneously engage in both activities.

Call it whatever you want you'll twist it to acomodate your own argument..thats fine...doesnt really matter at all, doesnt change a thing..im sure most dont care...fact is they today are very much united..mostly brought together by drum corps people...for many reasons..especially financially for staffs, and today alot more reasons ..band circuits are differnt ( some ) many competitive circuits I have judged in have very little differences. Also 30 years..in the making is enough time I think to actually call it a union of both activities. beyond or before that..who cares thats before many peoples time and young people way before they were even born.

Merry Merry......which has also morphed into many things over the years :santa:

Edited by GUARDLING

I'm genuinely curious: where can one learn more about the early history of competitive marching band?