DCI Chief Judge Gary Markham's wife in the hot seat

Too bad she can't tell the parents "Guess what...here's the baton...knock yourself out. I'll be in the office when you start screaming incoherently and can't even get the kids to play a scale in tune.

In other words...I AM THE TEACHER...NOT YOU."

I saw a band director do that once. Told the parent "ok, since you know so much, you go run rehearsal".

Band parent quickly crawled away and never said much the rest of the kids time in the band

Edited by Jeff Ream

Ahhhhh... but General.... if there is any truth to the accusations whatsoever: a) Those quoted in the article should have used the press only as a 'very last resort' after all other options had been attempted and exhausted; and b) Those quoted in the article should have presented 'factual information' not 'unsubstantiated opinion'. As it stands this is coming across as nothing more than whine cry-baby types who let a little perceived power trip go to their heads. And if there is no ‘factual basis’ for their public complaints, and these complaints do harm Ginny Markham, Slander as well as Defamation of Character is in order.

it's a last resort per the article...who knows if it really is. Where's documentation to back up their claims? Dates, times etc?

PS - Local paper went online a few years back and has been accused of stirring up crap by having articles that go more for the emotions (IOW anger) than the cold hard facts. Idea is more viewing and posting hits, the more valuable the online ad space is. I can see that applying here too.

The same principle applies to physical media. Newspapers have long tied their ad rates tie the number of copies they print.

Agree with you totally Stu. Any nose tweaking I was doing was directed at said morons and dipsticks....

Or for us Bugs Bunny fans "maroons"....

PS - Local paper went online a few years back and has been accused of stirring up crap by having articles that go more for the emotions (IOW anger) than the cold hard facts. Idea is more viewing and posting hits, the more valuable the online ad space is. I can see that applying here too.

There has always been, and should be, editorial sections in news media to allow for free exchange of ideas. However, as it applies to stories presented as real news, proven factual information is 'supposed' to be the determining factor of that article. Unfortunately, we are living in a day and age where mere emotional implications by morons and dipsticks, let alone their accusations, are thrust out in the public and presented by many in the press as being newsworthy ‘guilty as charged’ stories. This is, of course, because emotional sensationalism sells today whereas cold hard facts are perceived as boring information which does not sell. And even when discovered to be false with no factual basis whatsoever, the person’s character on the brunt end of those initial implications and accusations is forever tarnished. It is a sad state of affairs in journalism when the situation we live in today is (guilty until proven innocent) because emotional sensationalism apparently acquires more subscribers and advertisers.

it's a last resort per the article...who knows if it really is. Where's documentation to back up their claims? Dates, times etc?

I agree. Again, no real factual information concerning the validity of the accusations was presented anywhere within the article.

The same principle applies to physical media. Newspapers have long tied their ad rates tie the number of copies they print.

One of the problems is that in today's culture many people consume and desire sound-bite sensationalism instead of in-depth factual hard news.

I saw a band director do that once. Told the parent "ok, since you know so much, you go run rehearsal".

Band parent quickly crawled away and never said much the rest of the kids time in the band

I suspect that would happen with any band parent except those who also happen to be on a band or corps instructional staff.

Saw that, and was just as astounded, not the least because they basically said their own kids weren't good enough to win. Who says that???

I was there. They were very obviously the best band in that finals show.

Honestly: bitter parents who would rather discount the merits and hard work of THEIR OWN CHILDREN, and their children's peers (not to mention the BOA Regional judges, Lassiter Band staff, Lassiter band parent boosters and volunteers, etc) for the sole purpose of denigrating the Band Director.

It's really sad: not surprising, but still sad

Def. not uncommon. Some friends I have who are editors of online sites call those types of stories 'hit whoring.' A lame part of the business

The parents...are embarrassing themselves (and their program) WAY more than they are harming her. I hope they come to recognize this.

I really wonder if this group of parents has thought of this. These parents represent their community, their school, their instrumental music program, their band program, their parent booster organization, and their own children. This article does not paint them in a good light, and it's too bad that the loud-mouthed few can represent their program so poorly.

If only there was some scholastic organization that has some sort of acclaim that the parents can fall back on, be proud of, and enjoy being a part of its success on a National level....