A solution to collisions with judges

This is mid December; I hope you realize that you are about three and a half months too early in announcing this solution :doh:

We need time to put together the task force.

If the sound was on the recordings, people would just assume it was me.

Think of the substitute judges as alternate jurors. They've be ready to step in to provide their own ruling on the performing corps. The judges up around the rafters could be salvaged in between corps. Every judge in a Judge-O-Blimp would be equipped with a parasail. I've thought this out.

When I read this I thought I saw the word "parasol" instead of parasail.

A parasol would also work and if used right might add an appropriate splash of color...

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1

I was thinking about something like this.

1z55gme.jpg

• Like 1

Would they use helium blimps, or hydrogen? Because one wrong move with the hydrogen blimp or a spark and the whole thing goes up in flames and OH THE HUMANITY !!!!!

There's been talk about what to do with judges on the field. I wouldn't have as much a problem with judges being off the field as long as they were not all sitting in the stands, but rather, placed just outside the field boundaries. There are things that are hard to hear—getting "inside" the sound—from only up on top. I don't think it's possible to hear some extremely minute differences in technique and execution from the box.

It's impossible for percussion judges to run after drum batteries and simultaneously listen to the front ensemble. For that reason, I would like to see a battery judge and a pit judge. Now, if both are off the field, the battery judge would have to listen through the pit, but that would be an issue anyhow with amplification and speakers blasting in the ear.

One wrong step by a current percussion judge...and for that matter, a current brass judge, and it's all over for the judge and perhaps one or two members. Having said that, I still feel there is value to having judges close to the individual performers, as it is all too easy for staffs to "tune out" a snare drummer having an off day and to otherwise mask sections having problems.

My ultimate solution is the Judge-O-Blimp, a tethered and motorized blimp that would get the judges off the field and still allow them to get in close for sampling. Altimeter controls would prevent the JOB from sinking too low and interfering with rifle tosses. The tether would prevent the craft from blowing away when outside. Think of it as a judges’ drone. Judges would each have their own JOB and would control where they went, with computerized guidance systems keeping the JOBs from bouncing into one another and Hindenburging the field. The Judge-O-Blimp is the next step in pageantry arts adjudication.

Just remember where you heard it first when it comes to fruition.

I always marveled at certain judges, Sandra Opie and Truman Crawford come to mind, that they were always in the right place and never a) distracting from the show or b) putting marching members in danger. There are more than just those 2 but I remember specifically standing on the track just watching Tru sample from the best spots in the stadium.

On the other hand I could name a significant number that when I saw them on the panel I warned the corps' support staff to be ready for falls, sprains, cuts, nicks, etc.

it shouldn't be so difficult. I'll see your blimp, and raise you a drone, piloted remotely from a trailer outside the stadium, in which the brass, percussion, and field movement judges will sit with 32 in screens and BOSE headsets, being in all the correct places and never missing a note or a step. Often resorting to instant replay to see if it was a mistake, or intentional.

I'm christening the first drone, "The Tick"

• Like 1

Would they use helium blimps, or hydrogen? Because one wrong move with the hydrogen blimp or a spark and the whole thing goes up in flames and OH THE HUMANITY !!!!!

Well, I wrote in the first post that I didn't want any Hindenburging.

Co-existing is highly overrated.

That sounds like a possible theme for a show. Somebody could design and perform a show where they almost, but don't quite form that "Coexist" logo at several points from beginning to end. There'd be multiple disruptions.

Judge-O-Blimp, while entertaining to watch, does pose some practical problems, although it does give Tom Blair the chance to deploy Blimp Cams.

Instead I propose--and hosie it--that means I get the US Patent if any--I know, you can't patent ideas, but still, I hosie it--cross me at your peril--I propose stealing the collision avoidance technology now used in many newer vehicles and strapping the sucker on to all field performers and equipment. It applies the brakes if a collision is imminent.

Edited by Peel Paint

Judge-O-Blimp is a wonderful and innovative solution.

However, as per the other thread where concern for corps expenditures is raised (including the role of DCI), unless the costs associated are brought within affordable limits, it's implementation will surely be delayed as a result.

Up until that point, based on concerns outlined regarding pit judging in the percussion section specifically, a temporary solution could be implemented.

Beginning in 2014 the percussion judge could reside in the basket of a grocery store shopping cart. It will then be the responsibility of the 2nd/3rd Drum Major/Field Conductor to push this judge throughout the show so that they can be correctly exposed to pertinent drum features (Corps will control where the percussion judge needs to be during their performance - the trade off being that the percussion judge will require no physical effort during the show). The judge could conveniently carry their tape recorder in the small folding basket at the front of the cart before the show begins.

Its much cheaper to work out the semantics of a stuck front wheel vs. a new air technology still dealing with teething issues.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 1