What really makes Drum Corps so different

but theres millions and millions to support that local thing....drum corps support themselves

Went to a NASCAR K&N Pro Series local event over the summer; grandstand could hold somewhere around 5,000 but only about 200 people were actually in the stands. How does that equate to millions and millions of people supporting the K&N division of NASCAR?

ok I agree with some of that...........so tell me if DCI see's its costing way more than any OC show brings in..then what...do they get the same money as those bringing in alot more.....ever see an OC show with less than 100 people in the stands? I have...wont pay for the venue...how long can that last

No one has to do a full tour. If you cant do what the big guys are doing then maybe you dont belong in WC...there's certain things one has to do to move up the ladder ..if you arent capable of the move then dont move..its that simple

As i aid wgi even says this in their manual and requirements and what to expect as you move up.....just real world thinking . No one forces you to move up....well WGI has..lol

IMO, part of the problem is the OC tour runs where people aren't, and they aren't marketed well. Again, part of this falls on the OC corps shoulders as well.

i'll put it this way. i can name at least 100 people that I see used to see at several shows a year, local shows, regionals and finals, that just gave up. Didn't come on here and #####, just stopped going. it's sad, but it's the truth

True Jeff. I could easily name many more as well. They don't complain at all anymore. Only if the conversation is brought up to them on the current show designs.Then they'll give us an earful. But other than that, they are not a thorn in the side to anyone at all in current DC anymore. They have essentially disappeared from the activity altogether.

Edited by BRASSO

True Jeff. I could easily name many more as well. They don't complain at all anymore. Only if the conversation is brought up to them on the current show designs.Then they'll give us an earful. But other than that, they are not a thorn in the side to anyone at all in current DC anymoreI. They have essentially disappeared from the activity in its entirety.

Yup. of an active Friends group I was part of, I am the only one still going to shows, DCA or DCI. The group had been long time Friends members too.

Yup. of an active Friends group I was part of, I am the only one still going to shows, DCA or DCI. The group had been long time Friends members too.

Its a shame when people leave an activity..but it happens all the time and always has...i remember the spinning exit sign after the 71 season......it just happens.people move on for many many reasons..............yes we do need to replace to continue to make up for those who leave if we want to continue

Edited by GUARDLING

IMO, part of the problem is the OC tour runs where people aren't, and they aren't marketed well. Again, part of this falls on the OC corps shoulders as well.

Maybe in part but ive seen OC corps perform even in hot bed of old drum corps areas and still noone in seats till the big guys...its always been this way BUT the difference is its way more expensive to run a show

Edited by GUARDLING

Its a shame when people leave an activity..but it happens all the time and always has...i remember the spinning exit sign after the 71 season......it just happens.people move on for many many reasons..............yes we do need to replace to continue to make up for those who leave if we want to continue

and that's just it...I don't see the efforts to replace whats left and leaving. I don't see the diehard passion in the new blood coming in to continue to go to show after show, year after year. Granted the way the tour is laid out now, you don't have that option to see a lot of shows. Take out the 1 i miss every year because of vacation, I really have two options for a show within a 90 minute drive every year. if i stretch to 2 and a half hours, I can get in 2 more. I used to be able to hit 8 shows just for DCI alone within that distance 15 years ago.

• Like 1

Maybe in part but ive seen OC corps perform even in hot bed of old drum corps areas and still noone in seats till the big guys...its always been this way BUT the difference is its way more expensive to run a show

oh it is. But honestly marketing for OC sucks on the OC and DCI level. If you don't go looking for them, you miss them unless they have a big brother in WC.

oh it is. But honestly marketing for OC sucks on the OC and DCI level. If you don't go looking for them, you miss them unless they have a big brother in WC.

i think alot has to do with what people want to see...its easy to say you support ( not you) another thing actually supporting...lower corps have always been the red headed step child...and alot has to do with audience support ..as I said fill those seats and see how fast they are heard