What really makes Drum Corps so different

so you are saying you just want it your way.........I would love to see Pio. stay around and succeed BUT ask kids why they continually leave there..same with staff......closed minds.....do they serve a purpose and give a good experience..im sure they do for some are they WC...no not at all.....corps not concerned with competition > hmmmmm whos that and maybe they need to start a circuit filled with everyone getting a trinket to take home..no score and johhny and Sally's not hurt...just give that High School rating scale...now you seem to want it like some HS circuits..hmmmmm.....................also dont blame a certain few for some of the corps support when there is almost no one in the stands for these corps...Ive said for many years.....dont bark that these lower corps dont have support when the stands are empty..you want lower corps to be relevant? fill those seats...if that happened you can bet they would have a bigger and louder voice....BUT that's not happening at allllllll

there have been a few year that have marched OC and have said the same and that they have played literally to empty stands

So, DCI should just get rid of all venue and service support for the corps within DCI who are fiscally responsible, but they have no desire to engage in the multi-million dollar per year level it takes to make a run at 'winning'. Nice G7 elitism mentality!

If there was a simple answer, we would not be having this discussion.

We have a fundamental disconnect between the consumer and the provider. The consumers prefer drum corps - always have. For nearly a century, we have had drum corps and marching band competitions staged side by side, and drum corps has drawn the bigger fan base. However, the providers prefer marching band because there is another source of money to be considered - school music funding. And scholastic music has more $$$ than the fan base.

People like to experience the best. You say people prefer drum corps...they really only prefer...and always have...the best drum corps. The smaller local circuits like the GSC ran shows to basically nobody in the 'audience' in many cases. People want to see Crown and the Cadets and Blue Devils and Scouts and Crossmen, etc...because they are the very best in marching/music. Even today, these legacy fans who bemoan the lack of support for Open Class are not flocking in large numbers to the Open class shows.

• Like 1

So, DCI should just get rid of all venue and service support for the corps within DCI who are fiscally responsible, but they have no desire to engage in the multi-million dollar per year level it takes to make a run at 'winning'. Nice G7 elitism mentality!

ya know stu it's not worth debating you,sometimes...i thin k you just argue for the sake of arguing..you said in a post how you comb parking lots... buy a tick for OC and support them......who said any of what you are saying...am I saying its not a top corps responsibility....yes I am....I have seen some of those corps helping some at the bottom to no avail ......what support do you want them to give some of these corps...exactly

again you have danced around what I said and examples specifically PIO and you talk general. Address what I have said or the issues. I know what you have said or how you feel and thats fine ( although you dont give anyone else the same courtesy ) but you also said you arent in any position to make any kind of change...so what good does the rant do........theres plenty one can do and it can start with not supporting an activity that one thinks doesnt line up with what you personally want

Edited by GUARDLING

People like to experience the best. You say people prefer drum corps...they really only prefer...and always have...the best drum corps. The smaller local circuits like the GSC ran shows to basically nobody in the 'audience' in many cases. People want to see Crown and the Cadets and Blue Devils and Scouts and Crossmen, etc...because they are the very best in marching/music. Even today, these legacy fans who bemoan the lack of support for Open Class are not flocking in large numbers to the Open class shows.

exactly!!!!!!

I think that just focusing on BOA BOA BOA isn't always helping. There's a ton of circuits out there providing kids that see nothing from DCI. Imagine if they saw more presence how much more DCI could get out them?

You just made my point from other threads about DCI having a lot more possible to do in marketing to the scholastic band crowd. Thanks!

• Like 1

lol..i hear ya.....i have friends that dont get the whole thing and think it should have been left behind in HS and like you said my friends thought it sounded like a garbage pail band...tinny and crude sounding...lol :whistle:

My non-corps friends, in and out of band, had NO idea why I would want to march around a field all summer long playing lame versions of pop tunes and old-hat long out of date big band charts and goofy (to them) patriotic music...this was in the late 60's, early 70's.

• Like 1

The organization VFW supported those corps by providing venues and services; the organization of DCI supported those corps by providing venues and services, it is 'that' support I am referring to and 'that' support in which the authors of the G7 wanted DCI to take away.

The VFW, et al...were abandoning drum corps before DCI ever started. I can name lots of corps in my area that never made it to the DCI era.

Plus, the vast majority of corps that failed in the "DCI era" were not DCI member corps...they had little to do with DCI.

• Like 1

A point which was also made in cixelsyd's excellent post seven pages back (#118 "if there was a simple answer...").

you also assume that majority hates the musical direction, and all other directions...if that were true then why do they support it or spend so much to see a show..

Some still stay involved and go the shows, contribute in fundraising, volunteer with the corps at camps, etc to " support the kids ". In other words, even if they dislike the shows, they are still involved for all the right reasons... for the same reasons many of them marched their Corps years ago in the first place. Like others have mentioned on here before on occasion, like them, we know lots of legacy fans who buy tickets and go to show primarily to go and smooze with other alums they havn't seen in awhile outside the stadium at the tailgate. And thats what still has them buying a ticket and keeps them coming out to the shows. But in order for DCI to grow long term, it'll need many more people in the future to want to come out to the show primarily to be entertained, not primarily going to smooze at the tailgate.

Edited by BRASSO