The National Anthem at DCI shows

I am a veteran. I served in the nuclear navy. And I say this: In my opinion the US national anthem sucks. You can't sing it because the vocal range in the song is so great. I've always preferred America The Beautiful. So I don't care if it's sung, played or pre-recorded. You just get through it. I also don't see a lot a difference between spending your summer standing in the corner of the end zone holding the colors, and several other positions in a drum corps that seem like a waste of time and money. In fact, many would and do consider the entire activity to be a waste of time and money. Let's not fool ourselves here.

I never said ANYTHING about "mandating" it. All I said is that I would like to see it as a way of a corps honoring our country and the sacrifices that were made to enjoy the freedoms that we do. If a corps decides not to do so, that is their decision. It's just MHO. Just for the record, I doubt that any of the honor guard participants of today's DCA corps consider it to be a "waste of their time" and I'm sure they pay the same amount to march in their corps' honor guard as any other marching member of their corps. Which DCI corps members are responsible for carrying the colors when the corps performs in a parade (nearly every time I have seen a corps in a parade, the corps has an American flag line)? I am asking because I honestly don't know.

And your point is?

My point is that whether mandated or not, having the National Anthem played or sung, reciting the Pledge, having The Presentation of Colors, regardless of the event, is always an honor which shows deep respect to our freedoms granted to us as well as respect to those who protect our freedoms with their lives; and that it is never, and I mean never a waste of time.

I am a veteran. I served in the nuclear navy. And I say this: In my opinion the US national anthem sucks. You can't sing it because the vocal range in the song is so great. I've always preferred America The Beautiful. So I don't care if it's sung, played or pre-recorded. You just get through it.

I never claimed to 'like' the Anacreontic song melody used for the Star Spangled Banner; I would have much prefered the hymn used in William Schuman's Chester which barely lost out in the 1931 Congressional vote as our National Anthem. However, since the Anacreotic melody was the official choice I will respect it as our National Anthem.

I also don't see a lot a difference between spending your summer standing in the corner of the end zone holding the colors, and several other positions in a drum corps that seem like a waste of time and money.

The 'pay a lot of money' to rehearse all summer on tour as an alternate comes to mind. And I am sure that those kids would not complain too much to actually be a part of something on the field during the pre-show set-up time and then stand respectfully on the side during the competitive performance.

Edited by Stu

My point is that whether mandated or not, having the National Anthem played or sung, reciting the Pledge, having The Presentation of Colors, regardless of the event, is always an honor which shows deep respect to our freedoms granted to us as well as respect to those who protect our freedoms with their lives; and that it is never, and I mean never a waste of time.

I disagree...IMO rote performances with no real feeling or thought are nothing at all as you state. They cheapen the real meaning and emotion of what they stand for. That is MHO....I know you disagree.

If you want to show deep respect for sacrifices, go and help maintain veterans' plots at your local cemetery for Memorial Day. Go volunteer at your nearest VA hospital. Standing for the national anthem is the cultural norm and is nice, but it isn't doing anything to help a disabled vet or a deceased vet.

I disagree...IMO rote performances with no real feeling or thought are nothing at all as you state. They cheapen the real meaning and emotion of what they stand for. That is MHO....I know you disagree.

I have thought about this for a few hours and I cannot think of a time, place, or event where the National Anthem, the Pledge, or the Presentation of Colors has come across to me as rote and without feeling. I have liked some performances and disliked some, but that had to do with the quality of the performance and not basis and meaning of the material. The performance by Jessie McGuire at the recent NFL game did not appear to be rote without feeling; I have heard children saying the pledge over the intercom at sporting events with much feeling; I have watched ROTC units presenting the Colors with powerful silence; I have heard various singers, marching bands, and drum corps perform the National Anthem; I have seen grown men begin to weep as a fly-over occurs. In fact, one of my fondest memories was the first NASCAR event I went to where there were close to 200,000 fans making lots of noise during the pre-race ceremonies until the announcer directed them to stand for the Presentation of Colors when at that time, amazingly, it fell extremely silent; and I mean uncannily silent. So, I have concluded that the only way this can become rote or without feeling is if the individual allows that to happen within inside of themselves.

• Like 1

You apparently do not understand that those 'bombs and war' lighting up the night to reveal the Flag was still standing at Fort McHenry actually preserved your right to free expression, and preserved the ability for people to attend sporting events in the United States. Here is the entire poem written by Francis Scott Key:

You apparently do not understand that I don't care. It's still my opinion and no one, especially not you, will be changing it.

If you want to show deep respect for sacrifices, go and help maintain veterans' plots at your local cemetery for Memorial Day. Go volunteer at your nearest VA hospital. Standing for the national anthem is the cultural norm and is nice, but it isn't doing anything to help a disabled vet or a deceased vet.

I agree that doing charitable work for Veterans is a deep form of respect; words need to be accompanied with deeds. But for you to summarily dismiss the standing for the National Anthem, the Pledge, or the Presentation of Colors as a mere cultural norm that does nothing is, to me, a grave insult to the child or adult who stands, places his or her hand over their heart, and does this in the honor and respect of a loved one who died for this nation. It also implies that you think that each and every citizen does not show respect by using that time to reflect on those sacrifices and thank our Creator as we stand and engage in the process.

You apparently do not understand that I don't care. It's still my opinion and no one, especially not you, will be changing it.

Ok, so you do not care about protecting our freedoms (with bombs and war) which is an opinion of yours that I cannot change; I get that. But whether you care or not, if required, I will stand and fight against enemies for the protection of your right to free expression. And I would do that without any expectation of changing your opinion or even expecting a thank you; because I believe that greater love hath no man than he who lays his life down for another. But as you stated, you do not care.

Edited by Stu