The Cadets - 2014

I loved the Cadets last year and thought they put on one of the best musical arrangements in history onto the field. This year, I hate their show. Not everyone is a blind hater. They're boring this year in my opinion. Being extremely biased and hating on a corps blindly is just as bad as calling others haters for not liking a corps.

That's not the problem, well for me anyways. There are many people who hate their show. Hell, I hated their show when I saw it in Johnstown via video. My biggest issue is people griping over something they've already knew existed and on top of that not giving any type of credit for the talent of the people performing the show...then getting angry that their corps is not doing as well as they think that corps should just because that show is more entertaining than Cadets. The fact is if the show can't be performed technically better than a "boring" show, then that show will ultimately fall by the wayside. We've seen it time and time again.

Edited by 2000Cadet

The honking and fawning over this show.

There's plenty of that on this thread as well.

I understand and trying to be funny. It's hard for me to comprehend a show that lost twice all season, can get hammered so much and so ruthlessly. Very rarely do you hear, yep they're good and can contend and they're in a good place. You would think they were clinging onto 6th place..
  • Like 1

I was saying it in May that the Cadets were going to be very good.

No great feat with the crystal ball there, though, come now.

The last time the Cadets weren't, at minimum, "very good" was, what, maybe 1991? I mean, they finished 6th that year (something they have never done since) so we can probably say they were merely "good" that year. Maybe.

:tounge2:

I think Cadets have a great show. It's classically Cadets! There's something about Cadets drill that just makes you stand back and watch. A lot of it is really wonderful.

Now on to another Cadets tradition...cheese. It's the dancing on the stage. I still can't tell the style they are trying to portray but now when they get on the stage I make sure not to look.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 2

The honking and fawning over this show.

There's plenty of that on this thread as well.

With all the hate Cadets get on this site, it's about time they get some honks and fawns. I was one of those haters in the beginning of the season because I didn't appreciate how well Cadets were performing the show. After seeing them live, they've since changed my mind.

I understand not everyone will like Cadets shows. It was the same way when I marched. But it's hilarious to me when another corps does something, and it's well-received by many posters on this site, but when Cadets do the same thing, the planet is coming to an end. That's to be expected.

I do appreciate people's honest opinions.

Reading the comments today and over the weekend on DCP can be headache inducing

I can always tell when the Cadets are in the midwest and "their" favorite corps are getting beat - suddenly Cadets are boring blah blah blah

Same crap, different year...

The Cadets actually get more grief when they are getting spanked then when they are doing well. I tend to think the only ones that gage their enjoyment of Cadets shows based upon placement are the Borg. Many of the borg we quick to bag this show and then jump on the bandwagon when they started to score well.

I think the Cadets are good this year but I don’t like their show much. I wouldn’t like this show from any corps. That Cadet martyr, victim act is beyond played out and makes one look foolish and disingenuous.

I think the regional comment is interesting though, I’m beginning to suspect that I no longer care for California style drum corps. Something I would have thought silly years past but there seems to be a strong design aesthetic in many of their shows that doesn’t appeal to me

Signed, a Midwest drum corps fans who agrees with the placements of the Midwest corps that are getting beat bad(ly)

• Like 1

I think Cadets have a great show. It's classically Cadets! There's something about Cadets drill that just makes you stand back and watch. A lot of it is really wonderful.

Now on to another Cadets tradition...cheese. It's the dancing on the stage. I still can't tell the style they are trying to portray but now when they get on the stage I make sure not to look.

Well I agree some years the cheese whiz can kill the show. The dancers are representative of the "good times" after the depression and before the war so I get it. They have a minute to develop that before the show moves into the war so I understand it. The drill is the best out there, simply folds and unfolds. Jeff makes transitions look like art.

The Cadets actually get more grief when they are getting spanked then when they are doing well. I tend to think the only ones that gage their enjoyment of Cadets shows based upon placement are the Borg. Many of the borg we quick to bag this show and then jump on the bandwagon when they started to score well.

I think the Cadets are good this year but I don’t like their show much. I wouldn’t like this show from any corps. That Cadet martyr, victim act is beyond played out and makes one look foolish and disingenuous.

I think the regional comment is interesting though, I’m beginning to suspect that I no longer care for California style drum corps. Something I would have thought silly years past but there seems to be a strong design aesthetic in many of their shows that doesn’t appeal to me

Signed, a Midwest drum corps fans who agrees with the placements of the Midwest corps that are getting beat bad(ly)

See, I happen to love the Midwest corps, (Cavies, PR, and Stars). They are great corps trying to be unique and do their thing. Some more successful than others but I don't let scores dictate my feelings. I recall the Cavies giving Cadets a big birthday cake for their 75th anniversary in 2009. Class.

What do you folks think of that the Pearl Harbor hit?

My first reaction to the Pearl Harbor hit was, ‘wow, you can tell the folks that designed this were not around then and lost some perspective (mild cringe)’. Then I thought about it and decided that I was wrong, cycled through several examples and was a bit surprised I had that initial reaction but still, it was there. I don’t think they should change it, or that it’s wrong or anything, but anyone taken aback by it?

What do you folks think of that the Pearl Harbor hit?

My first reaction to the Pearl Harbor hit was, ‘wow, you can tell the folks that designed this were not around then and lost some perspective (mild cringe)’. Then I thought about it and decided that I was wrong, cycled through several examples and was a bit surprised I had that initial reaction but still, it was there. I don’t think they should change it, or that it’s wrong or anything, but anyone taken aback by it?

*takes second to go back and watch it again*

It feels a little too lighthearted for what it is, but it still works within the context of the show and would take some major rewrites to improve it.

Edited by MelloMatt