The Cadets - 2014

Seamless execution of high demand with minimal park and blow......love it!

While I would like them to get rid of the narrator, I think he should be wearing a Cadet. I felt that the last time I saw their show on the FN it had more excitement than previous viewings. I don't think I gave this show a chance the first few times I saw it. It really is quite amazing how fast this corps moves throughout their show. How they are able to play so beautifully while moving at such a pace baffles me. The difficulty the Cadets kids are able to overcome is remarkable!

It takes multiple viewings to understand the demand. Watch some of the brass foot work. Lots of small but effective musical changes, extension of chords and an increase in tempos is making the show more emotional. Can't wait to see color pop from uni changes and final ending. Edited by theCHEZman
  • Like 1

With talk of a possible new ending, do they dare contemplate the idea of bringing back the deconstructing/reappearing company front from '87? Could it ever have the same impact?

• Like 1

With talk of a possible new ending, do they dare contemplate the idea of bringing back the deconstructing/reappearing company front from '87? Could it ever have the same impact?

Depends on what they will do musically. I wouldn't mind the Z pull.

• Like 2

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease! I would probably shed a tear or five in the stands.

from Hop FB page:

UPDATE --the INSIDE SCOOP

So, we had a long trip ahead of us, but what changed out plans was 10 inches of rain in 4 hours. Rte 35 North and South ( North of Denton) was closed for flash floods from 4:30 am -- 7:45 am. We sat ... we sat ... and luckily we did not run out of gas or have any other situation.

After the roads opened, we stopped at a truck stops. All needed bathrooms and I know we will not eat until at least 2 pm. While at the stop, I laid out the options to the bus drivers. Again, Mark Evans and the Wynne drivers have been awesome and the Cadet volunteers are the best ever. Indeed this was already a difficult trip and the weather stop made it one for the history books.

SO ...

It's 10:30 am and we are on the buses.
We are heading to Austin where the future radars say .... the rain will lift North by 2 pm. We will rehearse from 3 pm -- 5 pm; eat and pack, and hopefully perform in Round Rock where we are on at 9:33 pm.

We do have driver issues but we were able to call the company and get permission for a CDL driver or two we have to drive the Wynne buses to the show this evening, This will allow the drivers to sleep, and those who need to stay off the clock can do so. Luckily, from Manor, Texas to Round Rock, Texas is a short run.

Our other option, with the understanding of Dan Acheson of DCI and the assistance of Gerry Miller, the band director at Wakeland HS ( and the Principal of Wakeland) ... was to go to Wakeland, withdraw from the show in Round Rock, and let the drivers do what they had to do. The Cadets would have been in rain all day so we would have shuttled to laundry, cleaned the buses, had a classroom learning session, and waited 8 hours for the bus drivers to sleep.

This was not the first choice but reality was coming into play. We did not want to drive on if the drivers felt we were being careless. In fact, while I am typing here, it is pouring and we are moving at 30 miles per hour. What I know is the further South we get the better the weather will be .. so we are pushing South.

We even looked at getting in the Denton show ... but, that city is in the heart of this Summer Rainstorm so Dan was not too sure what would happen there,

I will say ... one of the more interesting mornings of my director career

As always ... hoping I made the correct decision. What I do know is that with the help and support of the entire team, I made the decision and we are on our way,

Happy Thursday ....

Join the Maroon and Gold at www.cadets.org

Hop

then 7 hours ago:

7 hrs ·

Flash flooding

We have been sitting on the interstate not moving for close to three hours.

Considering we had a ten hour drive and a very fast turnaround for the show in Round Rock , who knows what this does ??

Driver hour issues ???
Rehearsal minimal

We may not get to the Austin area until 1 pm

I hope - we are still not moving

Wow

Then an hour ago:

We made it . 13 hours of bus joy

• Like 1

shortened schedule due to flood/travel delays:

THIS IS WHAT WE CALL A SHORT DAY

1:00 PM Arrive - help unload
2:15 PM Lunch
2:45 PM the day
2:50 PM S and R /visual
3:20 PM Sectionals
3:55 PM Set up
4:00 PM Ensemble
5:15 PM Showers and Clean up at the stadium
6:50 PM Depart for performance at Round Rock
7:30 PM Arrive for warmups
9:15 PM Gate
9:33 PM Perform
10:50 PM BIS
11:00 PM Back to Housing - move in finally
11:30 PM Snacks and Food (Pizza Delivery )
1:00 AM bed time

If they are going to make changes to the ending or otherwise, I hope they think about trying to match the music GE of this "Lincoln Portrait" show from 1998, which got 2nd at BOA nationals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11DMr8BWW6k

I'm kind of disappointed that the 2014 show doesn't have the impact that this other show had despite being based on similar music. I think the attempt to mash together many presidents and eras has made it hard to make any kind of emotional impression, but I know that can't be changed at this point. Even the opening statement of this year's show can't decide what it wants to be.

The 1998 Lincoln Portrait show has narration too (and singing, and some electronics), yet the narration, limited to the end of the show, is just right, judging by the crowd's reaction.

By the way, if anyone from the corps is reading this, please think about changing "the work we have done" back to Lincoln's original "the work we are in" since your modification warps the theme of the second inaugural address for no good reason that I can see.

If you look again it is already there...not exactly like '87 but it is there.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1