The Cadets - 2014

George Dixon, on 21 Jul 2014 - 5:32 PM, said:snapback.png

It's because patriotism isn't art. It's propaganda. Or kitsch.

Great art tends to take a critical, questioning stance toward society or the human experience.

Shoddy art appels to easy emotions and aims straight for the middle class sensibility.

Anytime people from any country start waving flags, I run in the opposite direction.

OR people are just proud of our country and the importance it holds in the world... even now

I'm not one buying the "USA is nothing special" being shoved down our throats these days

Cadets show is overtime - they will make a few short cuts, speed up some tempo and add on the new/different ending... I doubt the "spread out all over the field" and come back together portion will survive...

• Like 1

I should also add that I think this is a championship show. They don't need to go for broke with any more patriotism, groveling for GE.

Beauty and execution will win.

I agree for sure. I don't think the show is "groveling" now - and I don't want any added

Cadets show is overtime - they will make a few short cuts, speed up some tempo and add on the new/different ending... I doubt the "spread out all over the field" and come back together portion will survive...

True test of endurance and difficulty... Play the same slow, loud, powerful rendation of Simple Gifts at the end but instead of standing spread out across the field make them run around at double time. (Simple Gifts is a pretty slow tempo).

It's practically unpatriotic for Cadets to end a show without fast drill!

Edited by charlie1223

I'm saying that art in the service of patriotism is propaganda. Patriotic "art" is the kind of stuff you find in countryside boutiques - wooden bird feeders painted like the american flag and all things Americana - and at Cracker Barrel.

Art in service of anything becomes pedantic or kitschy or just mediocre.

Third Symphony - masterpiece.

Appalachian Spring - masterpiece and popular.

Lincoln Portrait - popular.

Sorry, but Copland's just wearing a bit thin with me as I age. With so many contemporary composers out there, I hope that corps seek them out, and seek the new year in and year out. I hadn't heard Short Ride in a Fast Machine until the first camp, and it blew me away. I bet the Cadets introduced that piece to many thousands that year. Angels in the Architecture was also new for me. Wow! I could go on, but you get my point.

We need to appeal to innovation and beauty first, rather than the heartstring-tuggin' crutch of patriotism.

I think Cadets in their new ending should just try to be AWESOME, to add demand, and perform the hell out of it, rather than pull any patriotic tricks or anything over-the-top involving fire engines or other iconography of Americana.

I totally agree -- Short Ride in a Fast Machine is still my favorite Cadet tune EVER

I wish they'd do more of this... or maybe some British Brass Band type stuff... time for Cadets to do something very different, very very modern next year

To use your own tag line, it's time they ZAG again. I own that tshirt by the way :)

True test of endurance and difficulty... Play the same slow loud rendation of Simple Gifts at the end but instead of standing spread out across the field make them run around at quadruple time.

It's practically unpatriotic for Cadets to end a show without fast drill!

that's a cool idea - they've been very quiet about the direction they are heading - I do like that idea of fast drill against the slow music. Almost cries "optimism" and "future" and "promise" in a way

I'm saying that art in the service of patriotism is propaganda. Patriotic "art" is the kind of stuff you find in countryside boutiques - wooden bird feeders painted like the american flag and all things Americana - and at Cracker Barrel.

Have you considered the Jefferson Memorial? Mount Rushmore? The Vietnam Memorial?

There's great art and bad art in all genres. Picking out the mediocre and painting with a broad brush is kinda disingenuous, don't you think?