The Cadets - 2014

Watching the scores has been interesting this season--especially for GE and Visual. I didn't go back an dissect so I'm sure the statisticians might disagree with some generalizations, but the Cadets have bested just about everyone in every competition save the BD in GE. However, it doesn't appear that the BD score change velocity has kept up with the Cadets recently. I know different shows/different scores but we all know that DCI judges keep the scoring on some sort of trajectory so that the winning corps at finals will almost always be 97.5+, but no one gets that score prior to finals week (again I'm just going on memory). So I read jumps at this point as legit versus just judging whims.

The Cadets seem to have taken a cue from Phantom Regiment in the last few years, especially Turandot in 2012. PR started the season one position or two behind the Cadets consistently but kept adding elements to the show to overtake them finals week (or maybe earlier (Allentown?) I don't remember). This strategy is a little different for the Cadets as they usually seem to come out of the gate with way more than they can manage initially then spend the entire season cleaning. Reading Hop's FB posts seems to support that this is being very strategically managed.

I guess I'm kinda rambling but it would seem that their strategy is working and timed so that they overtake BD for the lead after Atlanta. I hope I'm right. I think this show has the stuff to be one of their high points, certainly in this century, and seems to be an homage to their past style and image moreso than the past couple of years.

Your key word was "strategy". All season long (when I'm not on tour) I have been face-booking GH asking when are they going to add those additions, he would always reply, "its a surprise". Slowly he has added those additions with their score still on an upward trajectory. He claims they still have something up their sleeve (which I am prone to believe him). Just like many of you I have some ideas I think would send this show over the top. Whether you are a Cadet fan or not you've got to feel like something is coming otherwise you don't know the Cadets at all. It's a matter of when and so far that strategy is paying off. I bet even the judges are saying, "I wonder what they're going to do?". I'm ready to throw the baby out with the water and then follow it and I am ready to add this show to my list of Cadet greatest.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Your key word was "strategy". All season long (when I'm not on tour) I have been face-booking GH asking when are they going to add those additions, he would always reply, "its a surprise". Slowly he has added those additions with their score still on an upward trajectory. He claims they still have something up their sleeve (which I am prone to believe him). Just like many of you I have some ideas I think would send this show over the top. Whether you are a Cadet fan or not you've got to feel like something is coming otherwise you don't know the Cadets at all. It's a matter of when and so far that strategy is paying off. I bet even the judges are saying, "I wonder what they're going to do?". I'm ready to throw the baby out with the water and then follow it and I am ready to add this show to my list of Cadet greatest.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

To me, this basically says that for GH it IS about the scores/final placement. Why else would you withhold stuff from your show (and hence the fans) and only put it in at certain times when its going to make an impact with the judges?

To me, this basically says that for GH it IS about the scores/final placement. Why else would you withhold stuff from your show (and hence the fans) and only put it in at certain times when its going to make an impact with the judges?

Or maybe they're currently practicing those changes and deciding not to put them in until they're cleaned and refined?

• Like 1

OK, I'll play along with your logic. What if the Cadets had come out the gate with all those additions that are in place now: musical changes, drill changes, guard uniform changes, cumerbund changes? Would he still be withholding something, as you put it, from the judges and more importantly "we fans"? GH is not about scores and placement (judges take care of that aspect). The only thing he cares about are those kids (at the top of the list) and of course maintaining Cadet tradition.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Strategically adding or changing a show doesn't make one "all about scores". Just means they're playing the game, like every other corps who changes and/or adds things throughout the season. Sometimes it pays off. Sometimes it doesn't. There's no guarantee that the judges will love what they see or hear.

• Like 1

It's a marathon, not a sprint. What is says to me is that the Cadets have done their homework during the winter, debuted with a well-prepared corps and a well-designed show, and they have 100% faith in their members to be able to handle whatever changes they put in with great ability, as they've already demonstrated thus far with the changes they've already made. It's good strategy from a guy who knows exactly what kind of resources he's dealing with this year with this group of Cadets.

• Like 1

Sort of like the question some people have put forward regarding the Bluecoats: would they have been better off with the judges by not adding the pitch-bend synth moment until the season was well underway?

• Like 1

Sort of like the question some people have put forward regarding the Bluecoats: would they have been better off with the judges by not adding the pitch-bend synth moment until the season was well underway?

Can you imagine that impact?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1

Or the Cavies holding off on the upside down tenors until later into 2011?

Or the Cavies holding off on the upside down tenors until later into 2011?

Well, they did save the upside-down drum major for Indianapolis (it was such a surprise that the Prelims camera crew didn't get a close-up).