The Cadets - 2014

Re: the tarps...

I would bet the people sitting low are glad that big stage is blocking their view now. JK

Some times, I get the impression that folks who are bored with the show may not have a feel for the historical context and impact of those presidential quotes.....it is not a lecture by any means.

Good point! It's not a lack of feel. It's chronological snobbery. If it ain't new and shiny then millenials lack appreciation for it.

How do you/we know they are out there the full 11 minutes?

I don't, and that was already pointed out to me, and I conceded as much.

That one is 20 yards long though. :)

Where have you been? This even happened before the SHOW came out the gate in June.

Hahaha! I agree with you bro. I was just trying to be somewhat polite by not reacting how I really wanted to react. Lol

Hahaha! I agree with you bro. I was just trying to be somewhat polite by not reacting how I really wanted to react. Lol

Good thing I'm on this forum lol

Some times, I get the impression that folks who are bored with the show may not have a feel for the historical context and impact of those presidential quotes.....it is not a lecture by any means.

Having a feel for historical context doesn't make me bored, it makes me annoyed. The Cadets would rather misquote Lincoln in a show supposedly about the words that presidents have chosen, just so they can have some kind of narration impact moment where the dude mechanically says "we .. have ... done."

Boredom is too strong a word, but it would be nice to see the kind of fast drill that the corps is famous for and more coherent musical selections. And it would help not having to convince myself every couple minutes that what I'm seeing isn't cheesy.

Edited by duhurhurrr

I know I am biased, but is anyone else a little surprised by the "boring" comments most people have about the Cadets show this year?

Is it the subject matter? (that it reminds people of history and school)

Is it the Copland music?

I really don't understand, I find it very engaging, in a more subtle way than Bluecoats or Blue Devils, but definitely not boring. I hadn't read many of the show reviews this year until today when I had some free time, and I was a litte surprised that none of them were that favorable for Cadets.

I do think BD will win this year, they are amazing, no doubt, but I don't understand the "boring" label attached to Cadets.

I think it's a combination of Copland fatigue and hammy/predictable design, which in ways go hand in hand. The comparisons to 09 crown and vanguard are totally valid considering there are nearly identical builds and moments going on. Maybe people don't like the narration not because it is lecture-like but because it's delivered with a hefty side of cheese and appears to be lip-synched, and the jazz is square.

There's also an unusual amount of false hype coming from Hop and the organization about changes and whatnot and now the tarps seem to be borderline tasteless. The sound bytes are really mundane and formulaic ("and now here's the stock market crash part"..."happy days are here again"..."a day that will live in infamy") and the whole production, while executed very well, feels so hackneyed even for Cadets.

Edited by TESB

I think it's a combination of Copland fatigue and hammy/predictable design, which in ways go hand in hand. The comparisons to 09 crown and vanguard are totally valid considering there are nearly identical builds and moments going on. Maybe people don't like the narration not because it is lecture-like but because it's delivered with a hefty side of cheese and appears to be lip-synched, and the jazz is square.

There's also an unusual amount of false hype coming from Hop and the organization about changes and whatnot and now the tarps seem to be borderline tasteless. The sound bytes are really mundane and formulaic ("and now here's the stock market crash part"..."happy days are here again"..."a day that will live in infamy") and the whole production, while executed very well, feels so hackneyed even for Cadets.

Idk, it's a matter of taste. BD, for example, do the bizarro thing this year again and very well. If they were scoring under Cadets, people would be criticizing their lack of simultaneous marching and playing, or the weirdness some of the things they are doing. Cadets certainly need to finally crank some tempos, add some volume to brass impacts and put an effective ending in, but the show is interesting to me and the individual demand is enough to engage me.

Idk, it's a matter of taste. BD, for example, do the bizarro thing this year again and very well. If they were scoring under Cadets, people would be criticizing their lack of simultaneous marching and playing, or the weirdness some of the things they are doing. Cadets certainly need to finally crank some tempos, add some volume to brass impacts and put an effective ending in, but the show is interesting to me and the individual demand is enough to engage me.

People are still criticizing their perceived lack of marching while playing....

People are still criticizing their perceived lack of marching while playing....

And, IMHO, rightly so.