The Cadets - 2014

Something non generic. Bluecoats 2013?

I like that show a lot....very creative. Then again, for anyone who lived through the 60s and understands the far-reaching implications of the space race in that dangerous era, the Kennedy quote (as one example of non-sappy Americana) was rather profound.

So there's nothing you find redeeming about the show.

Noted.

Thanks for taking time out of your day to give your opinion on something you couldn't care less about. Means a lot to us here.

seems you're so quick to jump on somebody you don't read. the guy asked me to give an example of non-sappy Americana. I said nothing. But if you'd like to know my take on the show, go to the Cadets' page and READ.

I'm not sure why lately (last few days, or week) there seems to be some people turning their back on this show. Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention and the folks didn't like the show to begin with, they just happened to be the ones piping up while watching it on FN. The harsher "barf" and "this jingoistic horse#$&%" comments seem new, too.

I think there's enough in this show that different people will find unlikeable, and it sums up to some sort of common feeling, not sure it's the majority opinion.

Some of it is narration. I sympathize to an extent -- I'd generally prefer not to hear voice in a show either, but it's the DCI we live with now. Their 2007 and 2008 shows are popular punching bags -- 2007 mainly for the delivery (though some people didn't care to hear sappily-written lines, too), and 2008 mainly for the message/story (GH regrets that, too). So then they come around this year, they have a great speaker, and rely almost entirely on great Presidential speeches (even if you nitpick a few changed lines), but it's still unacceptable to some people.

Some of it is the message. I suppose because it's either too direct a message or they don't care for history or even the most mild of patriotism. Letting the tarps be for now, since I believe we haven't really seen them yet and everyone is losing their #&$* over them...the only real direct references to America AT ALL in the music/visual are the "Camptown Races" quotes in Lincoln and the pseudo-American flags at the very end (yes, other than the fact that the music is by Copland). They're not dressed up as Union soldiers, 40s attire (hello, 1995 and 2002 shows), or astronaut suits or Mad Men dresses. And yet some people are like "WTF is that blue? OLIVE, WHY?? WHY CAN'T YOU BE MORE DIRECT!"

Some of it is the visual approach. I sympathize with this, too. Most fans of The Cadets, either die-hard or just over the years, want to see that classic Saktig whiplash drill from the 90s. Well, that's now where The Cadets have been the last 5 years or so, and mostly for the last 10 years -- maybe some folks are just now noticing. The last truly Cadets-like drill was the 2009 show. It's not that the shows don't have fast-paced parts, but the lack of traditional, in-your-face whiplash geometric or morphing-linear moments masks the fast drill. Look harder at 2010 Dance of the Tumblers, 2011 160bpm, 2012 Carol of the Bells, 2013 Medea, and this year App Spring -- they're booking it, but you're wanting more older-school Saktig or Gaines, where the speed is more obvious, and less Zingali, which really is what this year's drill resembles.

I personally think this is a BEAUTIFULLY designed and performed show. I have my problems with it -- but I have my problems with every show ever. The guard is gorgeous (the lack of comments about the guard from DCPers watching/going to the shows is astounding to me). The brass -- the blend, the technique, and the variety -- are vintage Cadets, maybe just a hair less precise/full than last year's wonderful line. The percussion -- top 3 or 4 as usual for Colin, but not as sweet as last year. The transitions are great, the spirit is almost pageant-like, and so far a complete lack of cheese (IMO).

So go on, let this show into your heart, let yourself like it. It's okay -- it's okay to be a Cadets fan, it's okay to like this country a little, it's okay to like Americana. IT'S OKAY! :-)

• Like 3

I like that show a lot....very creative. Then again, for anyone who lived through the 60s and understands the far-reaching implications of the space race in that dangerous era, the Kennedy quote (as one example of non-sappy Americana) was rather profound.

My feeling about about being a good American and Americana is leading by example or practicing what you preach, not yelling in someone's face about your convictions.

Hpyed up emotion is just not my thing. And George Hopkins has more than a couple times tried to win shows using this technique.

After my nasty commentary last night I went back and found 5 things I really liked.

1) I LOVE the blue costuming and silks in the Lincoln section, gorgeous.

2) The drill is a little slow overall for The Cadets, but as a full package it is superbly put together and has some very nice sequences, namely in the opener.

3) The drum feature is great, one of the best this year.

4) I like The panels surrounding the field, they make it look more like a stage for a performance rather than a football field.

5) The guards work is very musical, hugely improved over last year.

I'm still looking for that one moment that makes me wet my pants, but it is an extremely well put together and performed show that should be top 2 in August. If they can add that moment with the changes, consider me a huge fan. Maybe that's what I shoulda said last night.......I don't want to make any enemies on here. Again, apologize for the less than glamorous latter posts by me last night, kind rude.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

seems you're so quick to jump on somebody you don't read. the guy asked me to give an example of non-sappy Americana. I said nothing. But if you'd like to know my take on the show, go to the Cadets' page and READ.

You mean this take?

Y'all keep talking about why the show is boring. The dude on that ridiculous stage is practicing for his future voice over career. On top of that the sappy Americana, partriotic stuff gets old really quickly. And most of you probaby aren't old enough to remember what Muzak is. In case, let me explain. It's a trademarked canned background music, often referred to as white noise for hotel lobbies, elevators, airports ect. intenended to num the mind into calmness.

Take away the stage, that is disguising the corps wandering around in a bunch of calculated aimless drill patterns, the dude doing his thing, and there's not much there but Muzak.

So there you have it! In my ever so humble opinion :bored: :bored:

Yes, I read it. I don't see one positive, redeeming thing in there regarding the Cadets' show which leads me to believe you don't like the show.

My comment stands.

We love ya, DrumManTx. Last night was kind of a perfect storm on here, in terms of who was watching it on FN and posting here, of people who aren't general fans of this show.

You mean this take?

Yes, I read it. I don't see one positive, redeeming thing in there regarding the Cadets' show which leads me to believe you don't like the show.

My comment stands.

BINGO!!!! :)

but now you are replying to two comments i made, not one.

i'm outta here, off to the gym. ciao

Edited by Pes49

My feeling about about being a good American and Americana is leading by example or practicing what you preach, not yelling in someone's face about your convictions.

Hpyed up emotion is just not my thing. And George Hopkins has more than a couple times tried to win shows using this technique.

OK. But that's the show. If the concept will presidential speeches, then you run with that idea and sell it to the max. How many "subtle" presidential speeches are there? This is drum corps after all.

Tilt. Find every way to say "Tilt" that you can.

Fellini. Find every way possible to present a cliche from avant garde Fellini films.

Etc.

BINGO!!!! :)

but now you are replying to two comments i made, not one.

i'm outta here, off to the gym. ciao

Oh, so sorry I didn't quote your original "review" in order to prove that I had read it, in all it's Muzakal eloquence.

Have fun at the gym.

Be sure to pop in when you get back to tell us some more about how you hate this show.