The Cadets - 2014

I don't think the music, drill, theme, etc is the big issue here (at least to me). It's the way they present it. To me, this corps is playing this show in way too controlled of a manner. It comes off robotic. Their hornline needs to let loose a little (sort of like Phantom has, and see how infinitely better their show sounds now) and bring passion into the show. I think that's why this show is falling flat for many.

I agree. Although I think it's getting much more exciting and compelling lately. I think it still has a ton of room to grow over the final week. What will the staff do with it? Not sure, but I certainly don't think they've maxed it out yet.

Cadets will need to be impeccably clean. The changes they've made are better and now they have to settle in. Recaps show they still have room to grow ( no captions with achievement over content). Then it will be up to the judges to acknowledge the performance levels and assign the numbers.

I keep thinking back to pre-season discussion on DCP about the Cadets upcoming show theme. I think it's safe to say, back then, the majority of posts about upcoming Cadets elements described those elements with great apprehension. There was a palpable fear of audiences not recognizing 'there's a d*mn good corps back there somewhere!' In other words, too many distractions. Such talk continues, even at the end of the season !

Almost stupid to criticize a corps that is about to medal at the World Championship, but the consensus in June was accurate. To me, in 2014, the Cadets have been burdened by package design, not the product inside.

I think they have constructed the show well and continue to perfect already high performance levels. Percussion had a tough run last night and Prosperie jumped on that.

Cadets will need to be impeccably clean. The changes they've made are better and now they have to settle in. Recaps show they still have room to grow ( no captions with achievement over content). Then it will be up to the judges to acknowledge the performance levels and assign the numbers.

Can you summarize the key changes that you think will be game changers for this show? The ones I can see are a new dissolving company front in Appalachian Spring (like 1987), changing guard unis and brass cummerbunds, big tarps with different ethnicities represented, a narrator uni change, and new/added presidential quotes, talking over Appalachian Spring. IMHO, none add any mind-bending new GE to the program. I guess the only one that does is cranking up the tempo in the middle of the show. Love that. Classic Cadets.

I think 2014 Cadets are outstanding across most captions. That's why they've been holding on to 2nd. I think they'll end up staying there, after some back in forth in prelims and semis w Bluecoats. I don't wonder about the talent in the corps, or the technicians on their staff. I do wonder about the creative leadership though. Ever since Angels vs Demons, I'm not seeing much innovation from their shows. Fast marching full of typical rotating lines, ample narration, clumsy props (giant blocks, huge stage) and virtuoso brass and percussion. But, not much pushing of any envelopes. I think, for me, the issue with this show is a lot of "empty calorie" packaging around an amazing core performance.

Can you summarize the key changes that you think will be game changers for this show? The ones I can see are a new dissolving company front in Appalachian Spring (like 1987), changing guard unis and brass cummerbunds, big tarps with different ethnicities represented, a narrator uni change, and new/added presidential quotes, talking over Appalachian Spring. IMHO, none add any mind-bending new GE to the program. I guess the only one that does is cranking up the tempo in the middle of the show. Love that. Classic Cadets.

I think 2014 Cadets are outstanding across most captions. That's why they've been holding on to 2nd. I think they'll end up staying there, after some back in forth in prelims and semis w Bluecoats. I don't wonder about the talent in the corps, or the technicians on their staff. I do wonder about the creative leadership though. Ever since Angels vs Demons, I'm not seeing much innovation from their shows. Fast marching full of typical rotating lines, ample narration, clumsy props (giant blocks, huge stage) and virtuoso brass and percussion. But, not much pushing of any envelopes. I think, for me, the issue with this show is a lot of "empty calorie" packaging around an amazing core performance.

Continued refinement of captions. I think they will play with volume and tempos more. They are still making some drill changes small yet will help staging. They are playing with the ending. Percussion had a tough run yesterday which affected score. Don't underestimate the power of pristine performance levels winning the hearts of some more judges. I'll keep the faith until the gold medal is awarded on Saturday night. As an anniversary show, it is more traditional in design but I am confident 2015 will be "modern" in concept and with the designers more involved in WGI (winter percussion program initiated last year and winter guard this coming year), they will have more opportunities to experiment with design during the off season. As for 2014, still room to grow and BD at almost a 97 on Friday, maybe not so much. Edited by theCHEZman

So what does this "diverse" group have to do with a show about American presidents?

If you listen to the narrative at the end he is speaking of our generation of Americans fulfilling the promise of America. The panels and Corps members represent us. Not the presidents

2 pet peeves re. FDR quotes.

1. " a day that will live...............................................................................................................(catch) in imfamy".

{ I would prefer that the initiation of the quote start later so that there is less time before the rifle catch}

that is:

"...............................................................................................a day that will live.......(catch) in infamy.

2. I never hear the conclusion to the following quote:

"that the only thing we have to fear is...............(fear itself)"

Edited by denverjohn

2 pet peeves re. FDR quotes.

1. " a day that will live...............................................................................................................(catch) in imfamy".

{ I would prefer that the initiation of the quote start later so that there is less time before the rifle catch}

that is:

"...............................................................................................a day that will live.......(catch) in infamy.

2. I never hear the conclusion to the following quote:

"that the only thing we have to fear is...............(fear itself)"

Artistic license. It works better than just the straight quotes.

• Like 1

This.

See the thread about crowdsourcing show design.

I can't stand to see a tremendously talented group of kids held back, somewhat or substantially, by a stale or conservative show design.

The Cadets deserve better.

The kids this year will max out this show, maybe hold off Bluecoats (who are performing somewhat over their heads, gifted as they are with a brilliant show design, which generates corps excitement, audience support, etc.).

It's the Cadets though who should be out there innovating, not pandering for patriotic brownie points.