going from open class to world class

Hi everyone I'm planning on auditioning for a corps next season (2015) but its a "lower" open class corps and my main goal is marching with the bluecoats. My question here is: would I be frowned upon for marching a corps like legends or raiders and then auditioning the next season for a corps as intense as the bluecoats?? My main concern is that if I marched with one of them that I wouldn't be prepared enough for a bluecoats audition. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not saying that any of the open class corps named are bad I'm just wondering if I will be prepared enough because I REALLY want to march with the Bluecoats and time is running out.

My own suggestion is to "march someplace". Marching in an Open class corps is great either to stay there for your entire career or to prepare you for a World Class audition, IMO. You really can't go wrong.

That scenario fit back in my old days too, just fyi. I started at age 10 in a feeder/parade corps from 64-67, marched in what would be considered an Open class corps in 68/69 and then the Cadets from 70-72. It is and was a very common progression.

Ditto with a DCA corps if that is an option as well. I know of people who first marched DCA, then a WC DCI corps. As long as you participate it is all good.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

• Like 1

There are two types of education in which any ‘solid’ corps, irrespective of competitive placement or classification, can provide: 1) Performance education; and 2) Rigors of Touring education. As long as you do your research and seek out a corps which provides both of those in a qualitative manner (i.e. a corps with performance staff which will respectfully instruct you in proper technique, along with a touring staff which will treat you very well out on the road) it will be sufficient in helping get you to your final goal.

Thank for all of the help guys!

Hi everyone I'm planning on auditioning for a corps next season (2015) but its a "lower" open class corps and my main goal is marching with the bluecoats. My question here is: would I be frowned upon for marching a corps like legends or raiders and then auditioning the next season for a corps as intense as the bluecoats?? My main concern is that if I marched with one of them that I wouldn't be prepared enough for a bluecoats audition. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not saying that any of the open class corps named are bad I'm just wondering if I will be prepared enough because I REALLY want to march with the Bluecoats and time is running out.

Do you think that not marching at all would be better preparation than marching?

• Like 1

You may find you like the open class experience better.

True; if the instruction is superb, and you are treated extremely well by the staff and fellow performers, a corps can become a family. That is why many choose to age-out with the corps they started with instead of jumping from one corps to another.

• Like 1

You can't hurt yourself by participating. Get out there and march. You'll be ready.

Do you think that not marching at all would be better preparation than marching?

a) You certainly can hurt yourself if you choose the wrong corps; just ask those who were burned by Revolution, Teal Sound, the new VK, ...

b) There are, as stated, some bad-apple corps out there; so sometimes 'not marching', and devoting the $3,000 - $5,000 which would go for dues and expenses, could be better used to take private lessons.

c) This is why doing diligent research prior to auditioning is vital.