Cats of Fire ... or... The Loudest Cat on Earth

:silly:

Edited by JohnZ
filter circumvention

Google "Drum Corps Columbus Ohio" and the show is number 10 on the results list. Google "Drum Corps Dublin Ohio" (or any combination of those words) and the show is first or second with DCI's website.

Still, not sure what's wrong with with "Emerald City Music Games" (subcaption) "A Stop on the DCI National Tour".

Advertising contracts in DCI are either national or regional in nature, with each advertiser committing to, and paying for, an ad campaign based on either the national tour or on the regional tour basis. I don't think national advertising is sold at the local show level (at least we've never been contacted or involved in such a campaign) but I'm sure DCI could tell you.

I agree that advertising on the local level (an advertiser promotion at all, many, or some of the local shows) could present ad value, and I don't know if DCI has attempted to sell advertising at that level. I'm pretty sure we'd welcome any advertising promotion they'd have to offer.

But I'm not convinced that all shows have to look or sound the same to sell to marketers.

some names have historical catch within the community. say you have a drum corps show in Brdgeport CT, and people may go "oh ok". Say the Barnum Festival is coming and people know!

[sPONSORNAME] Hardcorps Tour 2014 - Dublin, Ohio

presented by Drum Corps International (<< fine print below)

The tour must be branded and consistent. This is pretty basic stuff.

The Super Bowl is the center of the marketing universe... yet, it carries a different name from all the other games.

What you seem to be forgetting is that most of these shows are not run by DCI. Most DCI-sanctioned shows are run by other organizations like corps, bands, civic organizations, and so forth, collectively referred to as tour event partners (TEPs). The TEPs own their shows, provide the financing, assume the associated risk, secure the venues, gather the dozens of volunteers necessary to handle all tasks, and do the local marketing that the streamlined DCI office staff could not possibly do. Some of these shows even pre-date DCI, and had already established their branding before DCI came along.

To truly unify their marketing and branding, DCI would have to run all the shows and perform all the marketing, both nationally and in every locale. Are you suggesting that DCI expand their office staff and spending to that extent?

In this modern age where everything is Googlable... there is a massive missed opportunity by not doing this.

1) All would be consistent terms with link backs to the main site, raising the ranking and relevance of anything related to DCI and terms associated with DCI to a single common source

2) Presents geo-relevant context to search terms. If I am in Columbus and search for DCI or drum corps, top result should be link to the show coming up in Dublin (now is not found because it is the LuckyCharms Emerald Pass Fourleaf Clover Tournament of Fire and Drums or something)

3) This makes it VERY easy for media... just copy/paste stories for local media, everywhere... further boosting numbers 1 and 2

This was done sometime back around the late 1980s-early 1990s with the "Summer Music Games" approach. Many shows were presented as the "(location) Summer Music Games". Nothing wrong with that idea... but it was not a game-changer.

I once rented performance space to the Rock Cats.