Next corps to become world class

Who do you all think will be next open class corps to become world class?

My first response on that would be Music City, but with them almost deciding to fold this year until others stepped up I'm guessing thats going to be several years off as they'll need the stability financially to make that kind of jump. Takes some dough to run a World Class Corps!

Oregon was the only corps I could have seen making the move just because of their smart financial decisions and level of progression from 2010 - 2012, I don't really see anyone else making the jump for a couple years. Maybe Genesis? The level of improvement from 2009 - 2013 has been very impressive, I would say they need to get some consistency in the top of Open Class and maybe win a title or two before they do, and of course make sure the financial side of things are solid. That seems to be the most important thing.

Genesis's director said in a recent Drum Corps World interview that they have no interest at this time in moving to World Class. I would similarly have picked them as the likeliest, given that of the other five Open Class corps who placed ahead of any World Class corps at the 2013 Prelims, two of them are by their nature probably always going to be O.C. corps (Blue Devils B and Vanguard Cadets), a third seems quite content in that division (Spartans--and for whatever reason, I have the same impression of 7th Regiment, Legends, and Raiders, all solid but at this time still second-tier O.C. corps), and a fourth, as you noted, actually shut down briefly in the fall (Music City). That leaves Gold, who have only appeared at O.C. championships three times, but they do seem to be building toward a stronger presence. I could certainly see them breaking 90 in the next few years, medaling in Open Class a few years after that, and maybe a few years thereafter, they'd think about making the move.

Ahh, that settles that then. I think it'll be good for Open Class to grow without any moving up, some very high quality shows are coming out of the top of them, maybe that quality will start seeping through to everyone with the increased competetivity. Sound Sport seems to have started making some new groups that will move to Open Class, so hopefully some growth starts and we see some new corps start to emerge. :smile:

Rather than moving open class corps to a more financially demanding "class", drum corps needs to focus on fostering more groups to enter the activity and keeping a framework that's financially viable for the activity in general. Unless you want to consider BDb and SCVc, I don't think there's anyone close to being able to make the jump - and those two examples would be on the coat-tails of their parent organizations.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

Genesis's director said in a recent Drum Corps World interview that they have no interest at this time in moving to World Class.

I recall Oregon Crusaders taking the same public stance a year before making the move. Academy, too. But when a corps is ready financially, organizationally and competitively, and the opportunity is presented, the interest usually materializes.

I think if anyone moves up, it'll probably be Oregon. Also, the corps called City Sound has plans to move to world class, but it'll take only a couple more years. They need more people.

I think if anyone moves up, it'll probably be Oregon.

Oregon already moved to World Class last year, and they did pretty well, finishing at seventeenth, ahead of five other W.C. corps--though not as well as the Academy had done in their first W.C. year, in which they finished thirteenth, or Blue Stars redivivus, who managed fourteenth in their return to World Class.

Also, the corps called City Sound has plans to move to World Class, but it'll take only a couple more years.

I don't think City Sound has ever even toured outside of California, much less attended Open Class championships (unlike three other California O.C. corps), much less medaled, so any move to World Class is probably somewhat more than a couple years away. That said, it looks like they got their best score ever at their final performance last year, a 65.750 on July 14 at Bellflower. Based on that score, had they continued their season, they probably would have come in about tenth place at O.C. championships.

• Like 1

I don't think City Sound has ever even toured outside of California, much less attended Open Class championships (unlike three other California O.C. corps), much less medaled, so any move to World Class is probably somewhat more than a couple years away. That said, it looks like they got their best score ever at their final performance last year, a 65.750 on July 14 at Bellflower. Based on that score, had they continued their season, they probably would have come in about tenth place at O.C. championships.

Thanks for the info on oregon. And I am aware that City Sound has not left california, but within the next few years they hope to. I am marching with them this upcoming season, and I plan on staying with them for a while.