What do you call a Drum Corps with Trombones and French Horns?

You kind of missing the point...............................

How?

Edited by tesmusic

The day valves were added, BUGLES WENT AWAY.

And that day apparently came in 1811, though for some reason the keyed bugle was still called a bugle.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

And that day apparently came in 1811, though for some reason the keyed bugle was still called a bugle.

Just because someone calls something by a name, doesn't mean it's a fact.

Just like when Old Navy sells black khakis, yet khaki is a color. That makes sense.

But I like that it's french horns and trombones ruining things, but not narration, electronics, dance, grounded pits, 3 valves, etc.

Like when someone says "Britney Spears = Talented?"

Now that's a valid point.

Just because someone calls something by a name, doesn't mean it's a fact. Just like when Old Navy sells black khakis, yet khaki is a color. That makes sense.

But I like that it's french horns and trombones ruining things, but not narration, electronics, dance, grounded pits, 3 valves, etc.

I don't think that adding french horns and trombones will ruin things. I find synthesizers far more destructive. And even amplification (see my signature)--though that's more of a philosophical point, for me. I've even written at length that, in the interest of respecting the essential nature of drum and bugle corps as a marching ensemble, there ought to be some sort of penalty applied to corps who use a pit--which naturally means all of them (of course, that will never happen).

I do think that more than any other of the many changes previously made or permitted to be made to wind instruments in drum and bugle corps, the addition of trombones is contrary to the very name of the activity, and that's why I pointed out that the term bugle has been understood to encompass keyed instruments for more than two centuries.

It's still drum corps. Same way it's been ever since we stopped using actual bugles. Everyone is being so #### melodramatic. How about y'all actually wait and see how designers integrate these things into shows? Hmm? Be a little patient instead of just flying off of the handle and burning everything corps related you've ever owned. I'm sure people flipped out when they added that second valve onto horns, yet now people say the 80s gave us most of the top beloved shows. Then the third valve gave us even more great shows, and Phantom's first ever win. Now the any-key era has given us Spartacus, Ballet for Martha, Cadet's Disney Show, The Zone, E=MC2, Machine, and many other beautiful shows.

As a community, if we all really want this activity that gave us so much to survive, maybe it's time to look for positives, instead of constantly looking for the negatives, or the nearest cliff we can try and throw our support off of.

• Like 6

It's still drum corps. Same way it's been ever since we stopped using actual bugles. Everyone is being so #### melodramatic. How about y'all actually wait and see how designers integrate these things into shows? Hmm? Be a little patient instead of just flying off of the handle and burning everything corps related you've ever owned. I'm sure people flipped out when they added that second valve onto horns, yet now people say the 80s gave us most of the top beloved shows. Then the third valve gave us even more great shows, and Phantom's first ever win. Now the any-key era has given us Spartacus, Ballet for Martha, Cadet's Disney Show, The Zone, E=MC2, Machine, and many other beautiful shows.

As a community, if we all really want this activity that gave us so much to survive, maybe it's time to look for positives, instead of constantly looking for the negatives, or the nearest cliff we can try and throw our support off of.

:thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1

[xquote name=fsubone" post="3337700" timestamp="1392059920]
How about y'all actually wait and see how designers Madison's designers integrate these things into shows? Hmm? Be a little patient instead of just flying off of the handle and burning everything corps related you've ever owned.
[/xquote]

FTFY (and had to break the quote thing because the bloody css disables the strikethrough inside quote blocks for actual posts even though it appears in the preview editor )

• Like 1