New Name for DCI (suggestions?)

It's a name. A brand, and it doesn't need to be changed. A Corvette is still a Corvette, but tell me how similar the 2014 Vette is to the 1960 model.

Well, to use the current prevailing sentiments in some quarters on DCP, the 2014 ' Vette and the 1960 ' Vette are apparently only to be compared from the standoint of the driver's experience of joy and supreme happiness wiith his or her hands on the steering wheel and foot on the accelerator. We are apparently not to look under the hood, nor talk about the engine, pistons, styling, horsepower, etc. and all that technical changes and stuff. Afterall, its all about the driver, and all about the experience of the driver. If you intend to talk about the nuts and bolts of the ' Vettes from different years and models, some will try and shut your engine down or run you off the road. Remember, when it comes to comparing Corvettes from 1960, 1970 onward to 2014, its ALL about the driver... ALL the time.... and nothing else... and don't you forget this either. Any interest on your behalf to want to look under the hood, or talk about the changed instrument panels over the years or whatnot, means you don't really care at all about the driver and the drivers experience, you bad and insensitive guy. Don't you understand how this is supposed to be done when you're gazing your eyes on the " Vettes from different years in a lineup ?

Edited by BRASSO

Well, to use the current prevailing sentiments in some quarters on DCP, the 2014 ' Vette and the 1960 ' Vette are apparently only to be compared from the standoint of the driver's experience of joy and supreme happiness wiith his or her hands on the steering wheel and foot on the accelerator. We are apparently not to look under the hood, nor talk about the engine, pistons, styling, horsepower, etc. and all that technical changes and stuff. Afterall, its all about the driver, and all about the experience of the driver. If you intend to talk about the nuts and bolts of the ' Vettes from different years and models, some will try and shut your engine down or run you off the road. Remember, when it comes to comparing Corvettes from 1960, 1970 onward to 2014, its ALL about the driver... ALL the time.... and nothing else... and don't you forget this either. Any interest on your behalf to want to look under the hood, or talk about the changed instrument panels over the years or whatnot, means you don't really care at all about the driver and the drivers experience, you bad and insensitive guy. Don't you understand how this is supposed to be done when you're gazing your eyes on the " Vettes from different years in a lineup ?

Yes. Comparing the 1960 to the 2014 Vette shows that they are similar in name, logo, and the fact that they still have four wheels and two functional seats. Outside of that, there is no similarity between them. Yet the appeal of driving and owning a Corvette is the exact same now as it was back then. They're cool cars, just as they were when they launched. They're actually much better cars now than they were at launch, since technology is so much better. Carbon-ceramic disk brakes have replaced steel drums, direct injection has increased power exponentially and reduced emissions over carburetors. Electronic differentials allow for a type of driving security and stability that was a dream in 1960. Same way show designs and visual tempos accomplish things today that would have been a complete dream 50 years ago. Yes, people buy a Corvette for the horsepower numbers and the value for money, but it's the driving experience and the badge on the front that still draw the majority of drivers. That cool factor.

Edited by fsubone

Yes. Comparing the 1960 to the 2014 Vette shows that they are similar in name, logo, and the fact that they still have four wheels and two functional seats. Outside of that, there is no similarity between them.

This is actually a good analogy, ie Classic Cars and DCI. The most striking thing to me that is immediately noticeable is how cherished and valued with the public the older classic cars are with the current public. They revere them so well that oftentimes a Classic Car from 1960 commands considerably more in sale price than the alleged new and improved edition of that car. There is nothing like this in modern day DCI Drum Corps in how it treats the past, particularly among its newer fans. Many unfortunately disparage the past, and its value diminished, and its previous incantations not cherished, not valued at all for the most part. Thiis is quite different and readily noticeable when we see how much effort is put into recreating the older classic Corvettes in this industry, and how much current eras car fans want to see them exactly as they were, and how many current car fans are more than willing to pay a kings ransom for a vintage 1960 Classic Car that has not changed one iota since 1960..... thank you for bringing up the Classic Car field, and how it has grown in its fanbase and prospered greatly as an industry with its fundamental love and respect for the past...., its quite instructive it seems to me.

Edited by BRASSO

BRASSO, you're leaving out the main reason the classic car field has grown at the exponential rate that it has. Car collecting is one of the safest investments out there. In a shaky economy, a classic car's value is usually only going to go up, especially as they age. 10 years ago, a good Jaguar E-Type convertible would run a buyer somewhere around $20,000. Now, it's closer to $60,000. That's a 300% increase in 10 years. Same thing across Ferraris, Lambos, Aston Martin, muscle cars, brass era cars, pre-war tourers. Cars are one of the safest and highest return investments out there, hence their explosive growth. But the nostalgia factor is of course a driving force. Guys who might have been the dorks in high school now have the disposable income to purchase the muscle cars driven by the jocks and cool kids, and can now experience that cool factor.

And not all newer fans disparage the past. Many of us were introduced by older alums, who showed us the history and tradition behind the activity. As much as I'm ambivalent on this change, I can see why some think it's a punch in the face to the past. But tons of older fans disparage the new fans at the same time. It's a two way street, and some us of love the old stuff. 1992 is my favorite Finals ever, right in front of 1976. Then 2000

• Like 2

I'm a Corvette owner (1997 C5), and that's probably the most accurate thing posted in this threat so far.

The irony is that when the 911 went to a water-cooled engine, people lost their minds. When Porsche started making an SUV (GASP), purists said the brand was dead. Then, they stretched the 911 out into a sedan - what a MONSTER!!!!!!!! HOW DARE THEY?! They will certainly feel the pinch of all of the PCA members who are outraged and won't let SUVs or Sedans into their clubs!

Porsche had their best sales year last year by a very large margin, breaking 40,000 units in the United States alone and taking that money on to produce one of the most insane cars money can buy today: the 918 Spyder. All on the backs of the Panamera and the Cayenne.

It's less about your opinion, and more about the way you express it.

I'm a Corvette owner (1997 C5), and that's probably the most accurate thing posted in this threat so far.

And yet everyone who owns a 911, Corvette or Mustang (these are the longer-running of the bunch, so they're easy) generally think their car or the one they grew up knowing and loving was the absolute best, and the new stuff is less desirable. See it all the time working in the automotive and classic car industries.

I grew up in Indy with the Corvette as the Pace Car of the 500 (the purple/yellow colorway caught my eye the most). Loved the car aside from the flip-up lamps. When the C6 came around, I was in love. I don't like the lines on the C7, or the taillights, but I understand how many do, and it's apparently a fantastic drive, so I won't hold it against Chevy for making the car. Just not my cup of tea.

Applying that to DCP - very few actually express their opinion that way. "The activity is dead." "I'm leaving, go have fun band nerds." You see it everywhere, though - see my post above about Porsche.

This is actually a good analogy, ie Classic Cars and DCI. The most striking thing to me that is immediately noticeable is how cherished and valued with the public the older classic cars are with the current public. They revere them so well that oftentimes a Classic Car from 1960 commands considerably more in sale price than the alleged new and improved edition of that car. There is nothing like this in modern day DCI Drum Corps in how it treats the past, particularly among its newer fans. Many unfortunately disparage the past, and its value diminished, and its previous incantations not cherished, not valued at all for the most part. Thiis is quite different and readily noticeable when we see how much effort is put into recreating the older classic Corvettes in this industry, and how much current eras car fans want to see them exactly as they were, and how many current car fans are more than willing to pay a kings ransom for a vintage 1960 Classic Car that has not changed one iota since 1960..... thank you for bringing up the Classic Car field, and how it has grown in its fanbase and prospered greatly as an industry with its fundamental love and respect for the past...., its quite instructive it seems to me.

FYI I hate to burst your bubble, but the people buying those cars are almost always the guys that grew up with them. A lot of the reason prices skyrocketed circa 2007 was because boomers were getting to an age where they could start throwing their cash around a little bit and they all wanted that car they dreamed of when they were younger. Clean cars were hard to find and a run was made on most of the barn finds over the past decade or so (especially at the height, just before the collapse in 2008). Even still, interest is now waning, especially on American classics - see Rob Sass' great article in Car & Driver for more info.

In their prime, baby boomers were big buyers. But now, Sass writes, "their interest in the hobby is starting to wane." Nor does he see the market rebounding any time soon. The millennial generation doesn't have a comparable level of interest. "It's questionable whether they will care about the cars of their grandfathers and great-grandfathers -- or any cars," he adds.

Source: http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2014/02/14/classic-cars-bear-market.fortune/

It'd be similar if there were limited runs of recordings of drum corps from years past and the boomers snatched them all up. But otherwise, that analogy doesn't much hold up.

Edited by CrownLeadSop

And yet everyone who owns a 911, Corvette or Mustang (these are the longer-running of the bunch, so they're easy) generally think their car or the one they grew up knowing and loving was the absolute best, and the new stuff is less desirable. See it all the time working in the automotive and classic car industries.

Well.... some DCPers belong to Antique Auto Club of America and general feeling of those folks are the LIKE their era best but have yet to hear "my era is better than your" or "that ain't a real car". Only happens in corps circles for some reason.

Member of AACA since before I discovered corps under family membership. And have had my own AACA card since 1975...

Well.... some DCPers belong to Antique Auto Club of America and general feeling of those folks are the LIKE their era best but have yet to hear "my era is better than your" or "that ain't a real car". Only happens in corps circles for some reason.

Member of AACA since before I discovered corps under family membership. And have had my own AACA card since 1975...

Drum corps are competitive people. Heh.

What are you driving?