New Name for DCI (suggestions?)

Yeah, it's mostly individual corps who still have the "bugle" in their name, and since none of them, so far as I know, dropped the "drum" when they added bells, any change now seems unlikely.

Clearly it can be very good branding, given the arguments on this thread.

Also, since the new rule involves brass, not percussion, the appropriateness of the tern "drum corps" should not be affected. On the other hand, the term "drum and bugle corps" would be affected, but of course it was already affected greatly by prior rules changes. There's no way this new rule can be called the tipping point to make "drum and bugle corps" no longer appropriate.

In short, the terminology isn't the issue.

What new rule could there be about percussion? They already use everything from brake drums to marching machines in the pit. Is there a rule against beating on pots and pans, or kitchen sinks?

What new rule could there be about percussion? They already use everything from brake drums to marching machines in the pit. Is there a rule against beating on pots and pans, or kitchen sinks?

Nope, everything under the sun is legal for percussion, yet there have been no arguments about the use of drums in the title.

There is precedent for that. WGI used to stand for Winter Guard International. A few years after indoor marching percussion was added, the name was changed to WGI because everyone knew what it was. Sort of like when Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing changed to 3M when they were no longer so much into mining anymore. AOL no longer stands for America Online and no one still says, "International Business Machines." Even Kentucky Fried Chicken became just KFC when they branched out from chicken.

IIRC DCI had a winter color guard division back in the 70s. Did WGI evolve from that?

Which is entirely appropriate. The term drummer is still used to denote all kinds of drummers who also use other kinds of percussion. Nobody cares about the terminology. That's my point.

Now, while drum corps do not use actual bugles anymore, that horse bolted years ago and the decision was made to keep the term bugle. If this new rule is applied so that most corps are actually using a brass section that looks like any other brass band, then you might see people calling for the term bugle to be dropped. But I doubt that will happen. Any corps that deviates from an essentially bell-front look will be punished by fans and also by future members who will choose to audition for a different corps. They don't want to be in a marching band; they want to be in a drum corps. That's just my prediction; we'll see what actually happens.

They don't want to be in a marching band; they want to be in a drum corps.

Well, they've been out of luck since 2000 when corps started using marching bands instruments.

Getting a laugh out of the people that are ashamed of the words "marching band" but are proud of the words "drum corps." I just can't get over the irony. I guess it's just all about perspective, isn't it?

It means more to some than others, I guess. I was into it for the sound that bugles get that band instruments can't get. There's plenty of marching bands, but drum and bugle corps was special. I'm not saying bugles were superior instruments, it's just an interesting, exciting sound that's gone now. Especially the contrabass bugle - nothing under the sun will replace that.

Edited by gearwonk

Getting a laugh out of the people that are ashamed of the words "marching band" but are proud of the words "drum corps." I just can't get over the irony. I guess it's just all about perspective, isn't it?

There was a time when marching bands were laughed at and drum corps were not. "The cool factor" I think is what Cowtown or maybe Bawker said drum corps had. That time is gone. I'll leave it at that. And in anticipation of MikeD's response where he will say drum corps were laughed at back in the day, let me add that this is my experience. Results may vary.

There was a time when marching bands were laughed at and drum corps were not. "The cool factor" I think is what Cowtown or maybe Bawker said drum corps had. That time is gone. I'll leave it at that. And in anticipation of MikeD's response where he will say drum corps were laughed at back in the day, let me add that this is my experience. Results may vary.

Sorry.....IMO.....Mike D would be right...YES youre right Marching Bands were laughed at BUT the only ones for the most part who thought what we did was cool....was us.....most others didnt get it or cared...we have always....especially back then had the snobby attitude about Marching Band verses us...its why we all

( including me back then ) hated being called a band ...we dont like to admit that , thats for sure....................but we all look back with rose colored glasses many times......JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1