New Name for DCI (suggestions?)

It's a name. A brand, and it doesn't need to be changed. A Corvette is still a Corvette, but tell me how similar the 2014 Vette is to the 1960 model. Hate the rule change tho.

• Like 2

Since DCI is no longer a drum corps (as we know it) - I say see we refer to it as another name or, heck, suggest it over. Here's mine:

Summer Band Camp

So it was DCI until the new brass rule, that of course is still not official was changed.

Not when they added electronics, grounded the pit, added a 3rd valve, went to Bb.

This is the rule that changed it?

I marched 1997-1999 and the shows I was in were nothing like the shows from 1987-1989, but this is where the line is drawn? A brass rule?

How about DCI

There is precedent for that. WGI used to stand for Winter Guard International. A few years after indoor marching percussion was added, the name was changed to WGI because everyone knew what it was. Sort of like when Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing changed to 3M when they were no longer so much into mining anymore. AOL no longer stands for America Online and no one still says, "International Business Machines." Even Kentucky Fried Chicken became just KFC when they branched out from chicken.

Similar, the ECHL used to stand for East Coast Hockey League. When western teams were added, they changed the name simply to ECHL. It doesn't stand for anything anymore.

DCI is still a perfectly acceptable name.

Even Kentucky Fried Chicken became just KFC when they branched out from chicken.

Branched out from chicken?

I had heard that was because the word Fried had taken on a bad connotation, unhealthy sort of like when Sugar Smacks changed their name to Honey Smacks (as did many other cereal companies)

• Like 1

Branched out from chicken?

I had heard that was because the word Fried had taken on a bad connotation, unhealthy sort of like when Sugar Smacks changed their name to Honey Smacks (as did many other cereal companies)

It's because they added grilled stuff onto the menu. Fried Chicken didn't represent all that they did now. Hence the change

• Like 1

I marched 1997-1999 and the shows I was in were nothing like the shows from 1987-1989, but this is where the line is drawn? A brass rule?

I don't notice a huge difference between the shows of those two eras. The drill got faster, the music got somewhat choppier, and the overall feel a bit more pretentious, but the change was gradual. Nothing like the earlier grounding the pit in the early or the later allowance of amplification. (The horrible poem in Crown's 2004 show would have been unthinkable just a year earlier.)

• Like 1

It's because they added grilled stuff onto the menu. Fried Chicken didn't represent all that they did now. Hence the change

Heh, I had a friend who worked for Kentucky Fried Chicken when it became KFC. He said the employees were told the switch to saying "Welcome to today's KFC" was a way to simply shorten the name to the acronym and to better differentiate from other chicken places and for copyright reasons. The healthy explanation came later when someone though of using that as another excuse.

Sorta like how SciFi channel changed to Syfy... You can't copyright the term SciFi or Science Fiction, but you can copyright Syfy...

It's all in the marketing I guess...