Future use of Sousaphones in DCI

Stu

Eklipse D&BC from Kentucky marched a section of sousas at the beginning of the 2003 season. Their contras had not yet arrived so they did what they could for the first few shows!

A sousa section isn't new to DCI... though doesn't mean I like the rule any better...

They received permission from DCI to do so because the horns arrived to the corps the day of their first show, and there was no chance for the players to get used to them. Although Sousaphones had never been allowed before that, DCI felt it was wrong to prevent the corps from taking the field. According to an article on another website, dated Saturday, June 21, 2003, drum major Monty Brenemen stated, "We made the best of it."

• Like 1

So you gotta wonder. If there is not going to be a whole line of sousaphones anywhere..... Why did they pass it? To have them as a solo instrument on the sideline? Yeah that's the ticket. Try selling that!

I could see a corps doing it for effect.

An immediate thought that I had ...

Say my show is themed around an actual football game. The middle of the show has a section where we mimic a rousing football halftime band. We bring out a few sousas for the march. Pretend to be Big 10 Band for 60 seconds or so. Put down the sousas and carry on.

Hey, you asked.

Edited by mingusmonk

I will say that there is one good thing that can come out of woodwinds and all brass allowed...

...an honest to goodness New Orleans jazz show!

http://youtu.be/EbH3HJvh2N0?t=19s

Ms. Doreen rocks!

I agree, this stuff can totally be done justice with all bell front brass, but dang, I do love that sound. :wub:

• Like 1

They received permission from DCI to do so because the horns arrived to the corps the day of their first show, and there was no chance for the players to get used to them. Although Sousaphones had never been allowed before that, DCI felt it was wrong to prevent the corps from taking the field. According to an article on another website, dated Saturday, June 21, 2003, drum major Monty Brenemen stated, "We made the best of it."

Mr Boo I know they did, just sayin' its been in corps before ;)

IIRC they took like a 5 point penalty as well. The permission from DCI allowed them to avoid the DQ they would have received otherwise.

Given that a sousaphone, to the outside world, is shorthand for "band dork," it'll be interesting to see if and when anyone actually tries doing this. If it's used for comic effect - in essence, playing with the idea of sousaphones being for dorks - it won't exactly endear drum corps to band directors who actually use them.

Given that a sousaphone, to the outside world, is shorthand for "band dork," it'll be interesting to see if and when anyone actually tries doing this. If it's used for comic effect - in essence, playing with the idea of sousaphones being for dorks - it won't exactly endear drum corps to band directors who actually use them.

Actually, I'd laugh my head off. :-)

And I'm a tuba player!