Could Bugle Corps ever exist again?

Do you think bugle corps could ever exist again - either through the development of a new circuit/organization (I'm speaking G Bugles)....or....transformation (for example - DCA renegading and becoming a drum and bugle corps organization). I'm speaking - competitive youth. Sorta like what the USFL did in trying to compete with the NFL? I'd LIKE to see it. I mean - apparently there is more demand then spots for the current corps, am I correct? So, could there be another organization they could go to that's "apples to apples" meaning - competitive touring drum corps for youth. I really feel, based on the alumni of past corps that if a drum and bugle corps circuit began to replace what's happened, there would be not only the parents of the kids, music educators, but also all of the ###### off alumni cheering it on. I mean - where else are you going to get that sound? I even think after some years there would be those choosing the new drum and bugle corps versus the DCI bands experience of today. All those "rejected" kids would have some place to go. The reason I'm discluding DCA for as it is today is for the arguments brought up in past posts about kids wanting to compete. Plus, I really think if a DRUM and BUGLE corps were somewhere and it was a SOLID GREAT corps, I bet you'd see all the kids in DCI flocking to the fences to watch it and think "oh crap - wow - that's awesome - they're so loud - that's cool - I want to play a bugle". Could be wrong. But, I could be right or somewhere in between.

Whattayathink?

I'm thinking the vocal few people here (that think they speak for the activity) are going to flame you for heresy.

• Like 1

Do you think bugle corps could ever exist again - either through the development of a new circuit/organization (I'm speaking G Bugles)...

Whattayathink?

In my opinion,... no. That ship has long sailed out of the harbor for good and never to return.

• Like 1

I'd like to see it, but 'no.'

To my ears, the Gs are far more exciting, loud, and cutting. A uniqueness that set drum corps apart from traditional marching bands. Unfortunately, the formation of a whole new circuit with Gs won't happen during my lifetime ( although a shorter period than most posting here ).

I think of DCA's Empire Statesmen. The epitome of G-buglery. Despite that sound, and all the common entertainment quotient an audience could ask for, their appeal was not enough to continue. Other corps did not revert back to Gs. Members didn't flock there more so than usual, and that magnificent group is no longer competing on the DCA circuit. As much as many fans miss the Gs, how special they were, that alone is not enough. So many other factors in play that are more critical.

Embrace the Kilties! :smile:

Edited by Fred Windish

By "bugle," what do you mean? A three-valve horn keyed in G? A two-valved horn? A one-valve/one-rotor horn? A one-valve horn? A no-valve horn?

Only the latter is properly defined as a "bugle" - and it hasn't been used in this activity since World War II.

As long as the sound is brass and percussion, it's still unique enough to qualify as whatever it is we call drum corps now. I totally agree that adding woodwinds and/or strings to the field ensemble would be a different animal, but as dumb as I think Madison's recent rules change proposal was, it won't significantly alter what drum corps has been for decades.

If could find a group that would be willing to make a full switch, you probably could. I think only Kanstul and Bach make G horns anymore, and they're not known for doing sponsorship deals. So there would be a higher cost to start up a corps or switch an existing one over.

• Like 1

IMO, to see if returning G bugles would be better and more exciting for the performers has an easy answer. There is NO rule in DCI against using G bugles, amplification, synths etc.......so it would be up to the individual ensemble to use or not use them. So instead of starting a "new" circuit, why not just start a new corps, get cleared to perform in DCI events.....that would be much cheaper than starting an entirely new circuit.

Once you have done the above....recruit your members and put together an older style show with the older style instrumentation and have at it. I am actually not trying to be a jerk, but I will admit to not being the best at wording things at times.

But in my opinion this would be a good/interesting "experiment" to see what people and potential members would prefer. If you really think the fans want it back to the old way and newer members would too, then these newer "old school" corps would become fan favorites and then kids would want to join.

Someone who wants to live in the past should step up and do this....then maybe the debate could end.

Single Tenor drums are on their way back.

:tounge2:

some high school drumlines do this. it is what they do when they have large numbers. They march snares, quads, bass drums, cymbals, and tom line. The single tom section is what they use to train younger players to move up in the battery. Pretty much a brilliant idea in my opinion.

Edited by dbg
  • Like 1

No. If there was such an overwhelming demand out there for that kind of thing, it would have happened by now. It seems as if there is a lot of passion out there by older fans and alumni about this sort of thing, but sadly that passion has not led to any concrete action, either on the community level or on the national level.