A "Tradition Corps"? What do you think?

#1 Years we "rested up" had to do with physical infirmities, NOT being lazy or hung over as others have stated.

Insult to my SO noted....

As for others I'd say some don't care and some probably can't do roughly 14+ hours of cramped seat time in less than 36 hours. Hate to say it but what is the average age of DCA Weekend.

#2 If no one gives a flying crap then no one would be there. But your feelings about that part of DC is pretty much useless has been noted before.

i guess it just all depends on what one considers a successful show.....10 people.....100...1000....5000.....25000........but there is a point where even if it serves a few....it doesnt make enough to open the gates...................this stuff costs and although it's very admirable to produce something for a min. amount of people if it doesnt pay the bills...it cant survive

i guess it just all depends on what one considers a successful show.....10 people.....100...1000....5000.....25000........but there is a point where even if it serves a few....it doesnt make enough to open the gates...................this stuff costs and although it's very admirable to produce something for a min. amount of people if it doesnt pay the bills...it cant survive

No idea what extra it costs to open the gates Sunday AM. Know its' part of the package but has to be a higher charge somewhere.

And IIRC all profits or proceeds (not such which) are split between the corps. But have heard second hand (no idea if true) that some corps have performed free but no idea of the reason.

And no idea of attendance... don't have a good place to see the whole crowd and no idea of seating capacity at Rochester or Annapolis. All I say is the difference between start of show and end of show might be liek what fsubone posted about for OC.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

No idea what extra it costs to open the gates Sunday AM. Know its' part of the package but has to be a higher charge somewhere.

And IIRC all profits or proceeds (not such which) are split between the corps. But have heard second hand (no idea if true) that some corps have performed free but no idea of the reason.

And no idea of attendance... don't have a good place to see the whole crowd and no idea of seating capacity at Rochester or Annapolis. All I say is the difference between start of show and end of show might be liek what fsubone posted about for OC.

just someone to turn a key costs....concession people...( paid )...i know theres others right down to someone like a contact person....see thats thei isses people dont get today ( not saying you ).....gone are the days a corps gets a field for pennies...gone are the days of anyone giving anything..including schools.....everything costs a bundle today...now Im not sure of the DCA actually penny for penny cost but do know what it takes to run a corps or winter program...I often wonder with I believe only 5000 or 6 at DCA finals how anyone makes any money....maybe theres a bigger deal somewhere I do know hotels need to meet a quota

Edited by GUARDLING

just someone to turn a key costs....concession people...( paid )...i know theres others right down to someone like a contact person....see thats thei isses people dont get today ( not saying you ).....gone are the days a corps gets a field for pennies...gone are the days of anyone giving anything..including schools.....everything costs a bundle today...now Im not sure of the DCA actually penny for penny cost but do know what it takes to run a corps or winter program...

And security, people taking money to park, janitor service, clean up, medics, etc, etc. Used to work at antique car show in Hershey PA every October as belong to the sponsoring club. Still largest in the US IIRC an list of where the money goes is staggering.

And security, people taking money to park, janitor service, clean up, medics, etc, etc. Used to work at antique car show in Hershey PA every October as belong to the sponsoring club. Still largest in the US IIRC an list of where the money goes is staggering.

yup..youre right didnt think of all that but YES..everything has a price..most of the time

No, a lot of people don't. A few certainly do. I attend a lot of DCA shows every summer, many of which have alumni corps in exhibition. When they .

I have no idea why the defenders of the status quo in DCI want to defend the loss of DCI fans from BITD and the loss of TV coverage BITD, and the loss of ( as George Hopkins says )" loss of current audience enthusiasm", etc in todays's DCI audiences by pivoting and doing a harrangue on what DCA does on Sunday mornings at 10am with their exhibition Corps, and who goes to it and who doesn't. I suppose its much easier to attack other Drum Corps audiences, when the one we have now in DCI can't find any corporate sponsors, or individual sponsors anywhere in the 4 corners of the world to underwrite its current audience offerings to get it back on national TV that for decades it once had. The best thing about these old timers in these Alumni Corps is that they once knew the adrenaline rush of knowing their show BITD on Finals Night would be televised and broadcast to tens of thousands more fans than what todays DCI marchers ever will. But if you want to rip these older men and woman currently still doing their thing.. many older than their 50's, then you just go right ahead and rip the size of their current audiences. Heck, even the DCA competing Corps audience size ( the vast majority now of DCA corps having patterned themselves in show designs much like the DCI Corps show designs, music, etc these days) positively blows now in comparison to their DCA competing Corps show audience size from back in the day with DCA too. And the DCA competing Corps of today are chock full of more younger marchers and with many more from the marching band world too than BITD.. But ..,whatever re. audience size.

Edited by BRASSO

yup..youre right didnt think of all that but YES..everything has a price..most of the time

Well I only know because I stayed awake a few times during the post Fall Meet wrap up meetings.... And have been in the club longer than corps. Amazing how much golf cart renters charge for the week. Location is over a couple of hundred acres, and a couple of 100K attend.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I have no idea why the defenders of the status quo in DCI want to defend the loss of DCI fans from BITD

Where did you ever get the idea that I was a "defender of the status quo in DCI"? Certainly not from any post I've made, oh, in the history of DCP. Good lord, you're making a ton of assumptions today. You (and Jim) might also note that at no time in this thread have I ever stated my personal opinion on alumni corps one way or the other...

. Those corps gather every year at DCA championships and essentially perform for each other, and if spectators show up, it's frosting on the cake. The truth is never disrespectful. You might not like it, but it's still the truth.

Sort of like the I & E competition at DCI championships, Ie " they perform for each other, and if spectators show up, its frosting on the cake " ?. The DCA Alumni Corps Corps perform in exhibitions at DCA Championships. DCI, I &E however are DCI judged competitions. But they are DCI judged competitions competitions that hardly anybody shows up to watch these young DCI performers perform in competition.. and during more suitable hours too, I might add. While the paid ticket audience numbers for the 10am Sunday start of the DCA Alumni Corps exhibitions in the stadium is rarther small, numbering a few hundred paid attendance, the numbers there are significantly higher than the free admittance to watch the DCI , I & E competition in front of DCI judges at DCI Championships week. My guess, most years there are more competitors entered into the DCI competition than the numbers of DCI fans in attendance. "The truth is never disrespectful "( as you said here ). "You may not like it, but its the truth ".( likewise, as you said here above ). DCA also provides coverage live and on Fan Network retrieval so that those that can't make it to the 10am Sunday start can watch the DCA Alumni Corps exhibitions at home on their computers live or others can watch it later on their computers. Many no doubt do, that adds to the totals in " interest ".. DCI ? they don't pay much "interest" with their DCI young competitors in this DCI judged competition. Unless you were a downtown shopper, or somebody sauntering by eating an ice cream cone, or whatnot, and added to the attendance figures, only about a paltry 2 dozen or so DCI fans show up for these freebie competitions to watch the hard working DCI Corps young performers, perform in judged competition. DCI doesn't even record the competition for future fan retrieval, so the 30-50 hard core DCI fans that show up to watch the competition are pretty much the accurate " audience attendance " numbers of "interest". So look, I'm also not commenting on the quality of the DCI performers, nor on their individual competition performance, I'm only adding some needed perspective here for you ( and others )when we are talking about DCI attendance, fan interest, and so forth and the topic then sort of drifts over to the DCA attendance realm with the DCA Alumni Corps exhibitions attendance there for the sake of a comparison on attendance and "fan interest ".

Edited by BRASSO

So look, I'm also not commenting on the quality of the performers, nor on their performance, I'm only adding some needed perspective here when we are talking about DCI attendance and the topic then wants to drift over to the DCA attendance realm with the Alumni Corps there in exhibition.

Actually, the DCI I&E is a pretty good comparison, as is Mini-Corps. Although DCA was on to something when minis were part of DCA I&E and it was a sort of giant block party...pretty well attended. That's one of the things I hope returns as DCA goes back to Rochester (one of Rochester's advantages, few though they are). I think mini has a real future if it's part of SoundSport, but that's a whole different animal for a different thread.

Edited by Kamarag