A "Tradition Corps"? What do you think?

Mike i think we are talking apples and oranges. I realize that people who go to DCI shows in its current incarnation will not be satisfied with 28 bugles. But there are people who would and do prefer bugles and don't mind a smaller brass section. They may not attend current DCI shows because they dislike the style of performance. A lot of these folks post on facebook in places that you dont go. Some of them go to DCA and love Bush, Fusion, etc. Some prefer the alumni corps. I think that once DCI becomes "Super Summer Sport Dance Band" (or something) that market will have space to grow. But it doesn't need the critical mass of DCI because of much lower costs. Apples and oranges.

It can be done-my old corps got onto the streets last summer for the first time in nearly a 1/2. Dozen years, and in a sdca show in a couple of months. The kids were happy and proud and so were the vets. It was a simple little drum and bugle corps. Why do you hate groups like this so much? Some folks dont want or need synths, bflat, etc. they get out and do it: why do you have to denigrate it? I love the sound of g horns and hope this little artform survives and allows people to appreciate g horns and not much else. Theres no reason why everyone has to love the DCI musical extravaganza approach or nothing.

As i stated above-i dont think DCI's audience would like what he (OP) proposes. For better or worse the hard core DCI people want to throw everything in to the pot. This approach is fine and seemingly has served competitive bands well. But i think theres a place for a small movement of drum and bugle corps. Yes drum & bugle corps fall under the umbrella band, but with an obviously different instrumentation (as do fife & drum corps). Its certainly not breaking a law to like or favor any of these approachs.

Maybe your area was ahead of the game. I suspect with such a high concentration of top drum and bugle corps Jersey was a bit of an anomaly. But i think you know the general standard of bands for the 60s and 70s was show band. I still see hs bands using lyres. Buffalo hats though seem to br mostly gone. :). And to this day most HS bands do not compete. You admitted that in a thread awhile back. Most are lucky to do 1/2 time shows and the odd band festival. Really in this era of cut backs-lucky to exist at all. The change over time is that most have adopted 'corps' style. (Sorry about the typos: my contacts are giving me trouble).

I am in a lot of FB drum corps groups, actually, such as the 60's group, the 70's group, the VFW/AL Group, Garden State Circuit, and a few more. While I would be that many of the people in those groups would indeed attend such shows, that is a losing proposition, numbers-wise, not to mention getting kids to want to belong to such groups, if tnhey could even get off the ground in 2014.

DCA can't even get a decent size audience at their own alumni show, so IMO that is a non-starter. DCA itself now permits any-key horns, and this year permits amps in the pit. Personally, I enjoy the Cabs alumni, Blessed Sac, etc...they bring me back to my era, since I first started in 1964. But those of my era are a constantly shrinking group.

As for 'simple little groups'...more power to you. I don't see that sort of thing happening in any great number, but best of luck. Any time kids get a chance to perform it is a good thing.

• Like 1

And, IMO, it's DCI's obligation to make it EASIER for fans to pay attention to OC.

Like having OC in Indy. And "all-skate" on Thursday of finals week.

That works well to expose OC to more people, making it easier for more people to show OC love.

I thought that the Open class committee decided the location they wanted to compete at champs week.

i think your last paragraph is what i'm suggesting. Current DCI fans will not support a corps with 28 bugles. I realize thatDCI is now like a broadway extravaganza mixed with the WVU marching band (size reference). But once DCI becomes band in name as well as fact i think that may leave a niche area for small, low cost, 'pure' drum and bugle corps. Fife and drum corps survive. Drum and baton corps survive. Will it ever be big like the 70s: i doubt it. Neither will DCI for that matter. But i think there is a market for a low cost, low overhead drum and bugle corps circuit. Not every kid has 3k in tuition fee or the travel time, commitment, etc of DCI. . , Open class doesn't draw well now because its in the shadow of WC. Im talking about something that is not associated with DCI nor attempts to market to that audience. Remember drum and bugle corps long predated DCI and i suspect may survive its passing (or further transition)

A low-cost local-style circuit a la the old Garden State Circuit is just never going to happen, IMO. It is just too expensive for enough corps to start up in a small enough area so that weekend shows are possible to create an all summer long activity. Not to mention trying to find interested new members to fill these new corps, even at 28 horns. There is a reason the GSC and its corps failed over time.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1

Maybe its time for OC to abandon DCI and seek different alternatives. DCA for weekend show & mini tours among themselves to give that element of the experience. Mandatory cost cutting- limit size & pit expenditures? DCI has mainly served a few for very many years. Another example of the worthlessness of "trickle down" theory and practice.

IMO that is the fastest way for those corps to fail.

• Like 1

I thought that the Open class committee decided the location they wanted to compete at champs week.

Yes they did. Michigan City is a great place for them to have Finals, because it actually allows for them to fill the stadium. Like when they used Pasadena City College in 2007, or the high school in Brockton in 2005. Those big stadiums are great, but there are pitifully attended for OC Quarter and Semi-Finals. Even for Finals attendance isn't great. But going to Michigan City is a much smaller, more intimate environment that allows for the kids to get a packed stands experience.

• Like 1

It's also a better stadium than Lucas. But, still weird to split so far away.

DCA can't even get a decent size audience at their own alumni show, so IMO that is a non-starter. DCA itself now permits any-key horns, and this year permits amps in the pit. Personally, I enjoy the Cabs alumni, Blessed Sac, etc...they bring me back to my era, since I first started in 1964. But those of my era are a constantly shrinking group.

Not sure what the Alumni show crowd size shows Mike For others who don't know, the Alumni show is held 10am on the Sunday between Prelims (ends around 9PM Sat) and Finals (starts arund 5pm Sun). IMO this cuts down on crowd size as many skip to rest up from Prelims and rest up for Finals. At least we've skipped a few times due to being tired. And as the show progresses (and we get to top groups) the crowds do improve (as they get out of bed?).

Not sure what the Alumni show crowd size shows Mike For others who don't know, the Alumni show is held 10am on the Sunday between Prelims (ends around 9PM Sat) and Finals (starts arund 5pm Sun). IMO this cuts down on crowd size as many skip to rest up from Prelims and rest up for Finals. At least we've skipped a few times due to being tired. And as the show progresses (and we get to top groups) the crowds do improve (as they get out of bed?).

Although the crowd was not large by old standards , I hope some folks are not judging the crowd size off of the DVD's.

Most of the crowd was up under the overhang , to escape the heat of the sun ( never seen in camera views - referred to on the DVD by the Park City Pride DM who asks them to move down closer to the performers. )

frankiE

Although the crowd was not large by old standards , I hope some folks are not judging the crowd size off of the DVD's.

Most of the crowd was up under the overhang , to escape the heat of the sun ( never seen in camera views - referred to on the DVD by the Park City Pride DM who asks them to move down closer to the performers. )

frankiE

Missed 2013 Alumni show but sat thru 2012. First few corps played to a few hundred people at best. By the second half there was a good sized crowd compared to other shows. But hard to compare due to the different way the Rochester/Navy stadiums are laid out.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 years, and empty stadiums suck. Even at Open Class only shows, people wouldn't filter in until the higher ranking OC corps came on. Which is why as a fan, I show up at the National Anthem, and leave after the encore and last score is announced. The kids deserve it, because I know what it's like.

Oh, so YOU are that person sitting there at the start of the show! :tounge2: