A "Tradition Corps"? What do you think?

And that's part of the pity and the problem IMO. DC has gotten, for various reasons, to where only the top are deemed "worthy" of attention. Have we gotten so 'elitist' that we will end up with only a few corps left and then complain about the loss.

Or as Pogo put it "We have met the enemy and they is us".

then you would have to ask who infact are the elitists ...the corps...directors....staff........................or is it in actuality the audience..............hmmmmmm interesting......................they are right OC doesnt get attention AT ALL....BUT if more people.......as in audience, supported it,,,,you can rest assure that DCI would have no choice but to pay attention......................money talks .........................WGI learned this with HS a class

its easy to sit from a far and say how terrible it is that the lower corps dont get enough attention, money, votes, etc etc...harder to actuality do something about it and support it

Edited by GUARDLING

And that's part of the pity and the problem IMO. DC has gotten, for various reasons, to where only the top are deemed "worthy" of attention. Have we gotten so 'elitist' that we will end up with only a few corps left and then complain about the loss.

Or as Pogo put it "We have met the enemy and they is us".

That seems to be the problem. Everyone complains and laments when a corps folds, but a lot of those lamenting are those who admit to watching the first half of the show in the lot, and only purchasing souvies from the Top 8 corps. If you're really going to support drum corps, support them all. I performed for two years in Open Class, empty stadiums with the sun in your eyes sucks. Especially when you come back in after changing after the intermission, and all of a sudden the stands are full because the Top 12 corps are on.

• Like 2

That seems to be the problem. Everyone complains and laments when a corps folds, but a lot of those lamenting are those who admit to watching the first half of the show in the lot, and only purchasing souvies from the Top 8 corps. If you're really going to support drum corps, support them all. I performed for two years in Open Class, empty stadiums with the sun in your eyes sucks. Especially when you come back in after changing after the intermission, and all of a sudden the stands are full because the Top 12 corps are on.

this is fact although many seem to want to challenge this or 1 or 2 will come forward and profess their support......If i remember correctly ..didnt you march OC at 1 time.....I sort of remember you saying you also performed to zero in the audience

then you would have to ask who infact are the elitists ...the corps...directors....staff........................or is it in actuality the audience..............hmmmmmm interesting......................they are right OC doesnt get attention AT ALL....BUT if more people.......as in audience, supported it,,,,you can rest assure that DCI would have no choice but to pay attention......................money talks .........................WGI learned this with HS a class

its easy to sit from a far and say how terrible it is that the lower corps dont get enough attention, money, votes, etc etc...harder to actuality do something about it and support it

And, IMO, it's DCI's obligation to make it EASIER for fans to pay attention to OC.

Like having OC in Indy. And "all-skate" on Thursday of finals week.

That works well to expose OC to more people, making it easier for more people to show OC love.

• Like 1

And, IMO, it's DCI's obligation to make it EASIER for fans to pay attention to OC.

Like having OC in Indy. And "all-skate" on Thursday of finals week.

That works well to expose OC to more people, making it easier for more people to show OC love.

well it used to be the corps got themselves noticed for many reasons..it was no different bitd when people ran for the 2nd 1/2 of the show UNTIL someone blew them away for whatever reason......DCI is nothing more than the corps................so you want to get noticed? do something................Surf, which many love to talk about...got themselves noticed which had nothing to do with quality(ok thats debateable ) or reaching for any top spot..they found a way to GET THEMSELVES NOTICED... and it worked now didnt it. As many who loved it many didnt BUT it didnt matter........it got noticed

noone can have it all.................if you want to see more support then support it.......................or not

Edited by GUARDLING

well it used to be the corps got themselves noticed for many reasons..it was no different bitd when people ran for the 2nd 1/2 of the show UNTIL someone blew them away for whatever reason......DCI is nothing more than the corps................so you want to get noticed? do something................Surf, which many love to talk about...got themselves noticed which had nothing to do with quality(ok thats debateable ) or reaching for any top spot..they found a way to GET THEMSELVES NOTICED... and it worked now didnt it. As many who loved it many didnt BUT it didnt matter........it got noticed

noone can have it all.................if you want to see more support then support it.......................or not

If a tree falls in the forrest and no one hears is there a noise?

If a corps does someone great and no one is there, do they get noticed?

Sounds like an argument from my college days. My room mate could watch any level of baseball down to elementary kids playing a pickup game. Another guy could only watch top level MLB baseball as anything less was "too painful" to watch. Argument was "who was a true fan of baseball".

For the record I could see why potentlal marchers would only try out for top corps because of the cost. But if OC corps are close to WC size today it's not like people are skipping that 40 member corps.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

If a tree falls in the forrest and no one hears is there a noise?

If a corps does someone great and no one is there, do they get noticed?

Sounds like an argument from my college days. My room mate could watch any level of baseball down to elementary kids playing a pickup game. Another guy could only watch top level MLB baseball as anything less was "too painful" to watch. Argument was "who was a true fan of baseball".

For the record I could see why potentlal marchers would only try out for top corps because of the cost. But if OC corps are close to WC size today it's not like people are skipping that 40 member corps.

there you have it.................bottom line is, without support....................people in seats.......spending money....it will NEVER get the attention needed.....AS I said WGI learned who actually was the cash cow and thats HS guards

I sure wish you'd get over your love affair with ..................and use proper syntax. Makes for easier reading, IMO.

Is DCI only an organization to the WC or the top-12? I don't think so. So DCI taking active steps to help expose OC to more people is only an obligation that they have. They get the horses to the water, but I fully agree that the horse makes the choice to drink or not and that generally depends on how the water tastes.

Still, regardless of whether the horse drinks or not, it's the obligation of the horse's owner to show him where the water trough is, isn't it?

Edited by garfield

there you have it.................bottom line is, without support....................people in seats.......spending money....it will NEVER get the attention needed.....AS I said WGI learned who actually was the cash cow and thats HS guards

And it certainly helps to schedule OC shows where the people are, doesn't it? It's helpful to the overall cause to integrate OC into local, TEP-sponsored shows, ins't it?

Jim's right. A tree in the woods.

DCI has been winning this battle by having OC perform where the people are - in local shows and in Indy. Now it's up to the OC corps to make the attendance worthwhile.

I would contend that people who see OC shows, like OC shows whether during the tour or in Indy. Fans generally like what they see, and they make it a point to see it again.

Thursday in Indy is a great example of that fact, IMO. At least the data suggests that's the case.

Edited by garfield

And it certainly helps to schedule OC shows where the people are, doesn't it? It's helpful to the overall cause to integrate OC into local, TEP-sponsored shows, ins't it?

Jim's right. A tree in the woods.

DCI has been winning this battle by having OC perform where the people are - in local shows and in Indy. Now it's up to the OC corps to make the attendance worthwhile.

I would contend that people who see OC shows, like OC shows whether during the tour or in Indy. Fans generally like what they see, and they make it a point to see it again.

Thursday in Indy is a great example of that fact, IMO. At least the data suggests that's the case.

i spent every summer for YEARS on tour with many of these corps..also lower WC corps....we can keep our heads in the sand as far as support but it doesnt even come close to what many MIGHT think it is...want to really make a statement............dont out WC 1st fill seats at OC...talk about heads spinning....if people arent willing to get to a show earley travel to an OC show then ....check complaints at the door.......................................I knw some friends with a OC show at their back door and didnt go to spend their money at another time traveling to a wc show ...this isnt anything new either

1400 ( there about ) people is a success?...what did that pay for ( not much ) WGI regional gets more than that.....sure its up i think maybe 100 but still isnt doing a thing....

their numbers:

The two-day paid attendance total for Open Class World Championship events in Michigan City, Ind. (Aug. 6-7) came in at 1,415, an increase from the previous year, up from 1,308 in 2012.

I

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=5bd83bc2-2fd0-43df-b3eb-1808c64d4ecd#ixzz2uxA5iqYX

Edited by GUARDLING