Madison Scouts trombones?

Regards the Piccolo solo, Sousa's own band in period used to feature the Sousaphones playing that part in the Trio one of the times though it in concert. there was a recreation band a few years ago with a Sousa impersonator/conductor and they did the same thing. Pretty impressive.

The assimilation is almost complete !

The young guys don't care. The guys who I marched with don't like it.

That is also not true. I spoke with an alum who marched from 1980-1982, doesn't have a problem with it. Try again please.

Oh, and Weedy marched in the 2000's, so if you're calling him a young guy, what does that make me?

I marched in 1997-1999 under Scott Stewart, which some would say is "old school" or an "old guy" and I don't mind it.

Spoke to some guys that marhed in the late 80's and early 90's as well. They don't mind.

Executive Director Chris Komnick (80's) Artistic Director James Mason (70's) and Corps Director Dann Peterson (90's) don't mind it.

Who are you speaking for?

I don't know about anyone else, but anytime I hear "Stars and Stripes Forever" done by something other than a wind ensemble or orchestra, I'm always curious to see how the group is going to handle the piccolo solo. I always think it's cool seeing it on another instrument.

For example (and there's many more like this), I saw a brass quintet play it once, and the tuba player did an awesome job playing the piccolo solo. I thought it was one of the coolest things I had seen in a while. Not once did I think it was sacrilege as Joe Allison puts it.

I know, I know - different stokes and all that...

Speaking of Madison, I don't think anyone (including Madison) tried to propose a rule change back in 1987 when they did the piccolo solo on a piccolo trumpet instead of an authentic piccolo (flute). People (design staff included) just accepted the fact that they couldn't use a piccolo (flute) at that time. My how times have changed...

Blue Stars brass quartet absolutely killed this song at I&E a few years ago. They were all playing trombones.

That is also not true. I spoke with an alum who marched from 1980-1982, doesn't have a problem with it. Try again please.

Oh, and Weedy marched in the 2000's, so if you're calling him a young guy, what does that make me?

I marched in 1997-1999 under Scott Stewart, which some would say is "old school" or an "old guy" and I don't mind it.

Spoke to some guys that marhed in the late 80's and early 90's as well. They don't mind.

Executive Director Chris Komnick (80's) Artistic Director James Mason (70's) and Corps Director Dann Peterson (90's) don't mind it.

Who are you speaking for?

Wait wait wait wait wait.

Wait.

You mean that opinion can VARY?! Just because a handful of guys from one era dislike (or like) something doesn't necessarily mean that ALL guys from that era share the same opinion?!?!?!

Crazy

• Like 2

Madison has a great band this year from what I hear.

• Like 1

Madison has a great band this year from what I hear.

There are many great bands from Madison actually, school, amateur, and professional. Which one are you referring to?

The Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps are actually very good as well.

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 3

Wait wait wait wait wait.

Wait.

You mean that opinion can VARY?! Just because a handful of guys from one era dislike (or like) something doesn't necessarily mean that ALL guys from that era share the same opinion?!?!?!

Crazy

That's always been my thought, but I guess some believe they can speak for an entire era, even if the artistic director and executive director marched on the book ends of an era, not too mention people that marched each of the years in between feel it's a fine rule.

Edited by tesmusic

It’s a failure of the design team that they’ have’ to pick a song and then change the rules to pull it off

Not very creative there

Just imagine the 99 staff pitching a fit to use an electric guitar to open their show…which was and will be more memorable, more innovative, more creative, more entertaining and better

Artistically bankrupt, using crutches to garb another 10th place while further destroying the integrity of the medium

Bravo Scouts

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 2