Madison Scouts trombones?

It’s a failure of the design team that they "have" to have a song and then change the rules to pull it off. Not very creative there.

While the addition of trombones doesn't bother me, I agree with this point.

(Edited to correct my errant grammar.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

Can I ask when the last time they went to DCI show was?

Sure. Many of them don't go to shows anymore.

That is also not true. I spoke with an alum who marched from 1980-1982, doesn't have a problem with it. Try again please.

Oh, and Weedy marched in the 2000's, so if you're calling him a young guy, what does that make me?

I marched in 1997-1999 under Scott Stewart, which some would say is "old school" or an "old guy" and I don't mind it.

Spoke to some guys that marhed in the late 80's and early 90's as well. They don't mind.

Executive Director Chris Komnick (80's) Artistic Director James Mason (70's) and Corps Director Dann Peterson (90's) don't mind it.

Who are you speaking for?

Do you really want me to name real names here? I don't think that would be proper to do so lets just leave it where it is.

Why is it that so many DCP members spoke out against allowing band instruments in DCI, yet you find it hard to believe that some old school Madison Scout alumni don't like it either?

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 1

I don't know about anyone else, but anytime I hear "Stars and Stripes Forever" done by something other than a wind ensemble or orchestra, I'm always curious to see how the group is going to handle the piccolo solo. I always think it's cool seeing it on another instrument.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Glassmen's 1996 arrangement that turned it into a drum solo, on piccolo bass drums. I don't think that's ever been done before or since...

Mike

Sure. Many of them don't go to shows anymore.

So, if they're not contributing anymore, should they be of vital concern to the organization?

• Like 5

Do you really want me to name real names here? I don't think that would be proper to do so lets just leave it where it is.

Why is it that so many DCP members spoke out against allowing band instruments in DCI, yet you find it hard to believe that some old school Madison Scout alumni don't like it either?

No need to name names, but you are trying to speaking for others, and I find that incredibly cocky. Furthermore, if they don't attend shows anymore, they stopped liking the activity long before the new rule, and haven't support the Madison Scouts for a while, from the way you describe them.

You talk about old school Madison as being what, the early 80's when you marched. What about the guys from that same era that don't mind it, or guys from the 70's, or era's before that, that don't mind it, are their views not as valid as yours?

And now you're saying it's "some" of them. What happened to the generalized statement, where you implied all?

Edited by tesmusic
  • Like 3

So, if they're not contributing anymore, should they be of vital concern to the organization?

Probably the same type of people that complained in 1997 that we were doing a Pirate show.

• Like 2

I don't know about anyone else, but anytime I hear "Stars and Stripes Forever" done by something other than a wind ensemble or orchestra, I'm always curious to see how the group is going to handle the piccolo solo. I always think it's cool seeing it on another instrument.

A few years back I was watching the Boston Pops 4th of July concert on PBS. As they often do, they played the "Stars and Stripes." This time, however, the piccolo solo was performed as a coloratura soprano solo by Maureen McGovern (remember "The Morning After" pop song in the 70's?). I had no idea she had that kind of voice. It was amazing!!

Maybe the important question not being asked, is "Why aren't they contributing anymore..."

No need to name names, but you are trying to speaking for others, and I find that incredibly cocky. Furthermore, if they don't attend shows anymore, they stopped liking the activity long before the new rule, and haven't support the Madison Scouts for a while, from the way you describe them.

You talk about old school Madison as being what, the early 80's when you marched. What about the guys from that same era that don't mind it, or guys from the 70's, or era's before that, that don't mind it, are their views not as valid as yours?

And now you're saying it's "some" of them. What happened to the generalized statement, where you implied all?

With all due respect, do you care to identify "the guys from that same era that don't mind it, or guys from the 70's, or era's before that, that don't mind it" that you're speaking of specifically? Or are you generalizing....

Edited by BozzlyB