What Defines Our Activity

71 members have voted

1. 1. "Drum and bugle corps" is PRIMARILY defined by _______.

• ...its unique instrumentation.
    • ...its unique heritage and legacy.
    • ...the unique experience it offers its participants.

Brasso...I read your post to fast and was focusing on the corporate part. BUT reading back and the part of kids leaving their corps I get that ..I have often told kids , stay and bulid what you have no corps started out winning and theres no reason why your corps cant be the next BD or whoever. Now with that said, its a different world now and kids dont spend 10 years marching for many reasons and they pay alot. So with that the loyalty thing as well as time to hang around to get that much better doent fit in some members plans. Is that bad? Do I understand it? maybe although I havent liked it , I have learned to understand it..Sometimes though corps, directors, management, staff, or the kids themselves have noone to blame but themselves for losing members also.sorry for misunderstanding your post

Edited by GUARDLING

and..is that bad?

Thats not my call. I'm only pointing out the reality of what is, and some reasons I believe for the " why ".

and..is that bad?

It's good if you're BD, and bad if you're the corps trying to move up the ranks and losing your best members to BD. It's the nature of the beast. With that said, members leaving corps for BD isn't the defining reason they are successful and also isn't the reason other corps may struggle to move up. The number of top members that ditch their corps for a shot at the top 3 doesn't IMO represent the majority of talent in those corps. PLENTY of their most talented members continue to be loyal and return until age out. BD has consistently had the best of the best in terms of organization, management, staff, and design to fit whatever the current sheets might be looking for. THIS is why they have dominated.

Edited by BozzlyB
  • Like 2

It's good if you're BD, and bad if you're the corps trying to move up the ranks and losing your best members to BD. It's the nature of the beast. With that said, members leaving corps for BD isn't the defining reason they are successful and also isn't the reason other corps may struggle to move up. The number of top members that ditch their corps for a shot at the top 3 doesn't IMO represent the majority of talent in those corps. PLENTY of their most talented members continue to be loyal and return until age out. BD has consistently had the best of the best in terms of organization, management, staff, and design to fit whatever the current sheets might be looking for. THIS is why they have dominated.

probably right :smile:

BD has consistently had the best of the best in terms of organization, management, staff, and design to fit whatever the current sheets might be looking for. THIS is why they have dominated.

If BD took all their marchers exclusively from their 2 feeder Corps and attained this level of success, then I would grant you that the biggest reason for their dominance was mostly in the domain of excellent management, teaching, organization, staff retention ( longest in the biz ), knowing the judging sheets, etc. But I don't think we can ignore that a goodly number of their marchers were not initially groomed by BD. They came from other Corps. Most of BD's marchers in any given year did not come up thru their organization of their feeder Corps. A few did, but most came from other Corps. Without that annual pilgimmage of talent out to Concord each year, no level of excellent management could have replicated this 40 record of success in my view. Yes, they undeniably have one of the most excellent run organizations in DCI, and outstanding staff thats been there since the bell bottom wearing days. But the pilgimmage out to Concord by seasoned and talented Drum Corps vets is at the top of the list for their continued success. Its like sports.. one can have great coaches, great plays, great organization, work harder and smarter than the rest, etc, but without the talented players, you arn't going to win year after year.

Edited by BRASSO

If BD took all their marchers exclusively from their 2 feeder Corps and attained this level of success, then I would grant you that the biggest reason for their dominance was mostly in the domain of excellent management, teaching, organization, staff retention ( longest in the biz ), knowing the judging sheets, etc. But I don't think we can ignore that a goodly number of their marchers were not initially groomed by BD. They came from other Corps. Most of BD's marchers in any given year did not come up thru their organization of their feeder Corps. A few did, but most came from other Corps. Without that annual pilgimmage of talent out to Concord each year, no level of excellent management could have replicated this 40 record of success in my view. Yes, they undeniably have one of the most excellent run organizations in DCI, and outstanding staff thats been there since the bell bottom wearing days. But the pilgimmage out to Concord by seasoned and talented Drum Corps vets is at the top of the list for their continued success. Its like sports.. one can have great coaches, great plays, great organization, work harder and smarter than the rest, etc, but without the talented players, you arn't going to win year after year.

Citation needed here, my friend.

You may be right, but I'm not buying that rationale until the fact to support it are shown.

• Like 3