What would you do?

(out of hypothetical mode and in the real me mode)

HornTeacher: Curiosity got the best of me so I found Olathe on the map. How the heck do you pronounce it? And I just looked up Prairie Sound on their web site; they appear to be a small organization and I never even knew they existed. It makes me wonder how many groups like them there are around the country.

(out of hypothetical mode and in the real me mode)

HornTeacher: Curiosity got the best of me so I found Olathe on the map. How the heck do you pronounce it? And I just looked up Prairie Sound on their web site; they appear to be a small organization and I never even knew they existed. It makes me wonder how many groups like them there are around the country.

Pronounce it? I'm a New Yawker...I can hardly SPELL it!! But seriously...I found them (both Prarie Sound Drum and Bugle Corps AND the town/city of Olathe, KA) while doing searches in my attempt to drag Clark Hunt and the Kansas City Chief organization into all of this. One thing led to another, and...well...you know how it goes.

As far as how many groups like them exist around the country? I think that we could say "far more than one would think" and "far less than one would think" and have a pretty equal chance of guessing correctly. I just think that it's neat that it DOES exist -- maybe there's hope yet!!

Stu, you sweet thing, you. You just inspired me into actually thinking (for a change). No small feat that, I assure you.

In my post above, I commented that I think it's neat that a group such as Prarie Sound Drum and Bugle Corps DOES exist. What is (as far as we know) the PSD&BC? Most probably a small, all-age group, comprised of members who most probably live within the Olathe, KA area for most of the year. They probably get together once or twice a week, learn new material, work on it, clean it to the best of their abilities, and subsequently provide marching musical entertainment for the general northeastern corner of Kansas (and probably the southwestern corner of Missouri as well). In any event, are they the "Troopers?" No. Are they the "Crown?" No. Are they the "Cadets," "Scouts," "Vanguard," or any other World Class Drum Corps of which we are all familiar? No. In the end, they are simply a group of people (both management and performers) who really get their willies playing Drum and Bugle Corps. Probably have for quite a while. And with God's grace, will continiue to do so.

Now, "what does this have to do with this discussion on DCP?" you might ask. Well...if you look at the various DCP threads which inspire discussion on a daily basis these days, what is the general, overriding matter which seems to permeate (even indirectly) the majority of postings? Simple. Growth. Growth of DCI. Growth of the entire Drum and Bugle Corps activity. Ok...fair enough. HOWEVER....

When most of us are in the midst of our postings regarding most things "DCI," what do you think most of us have in the forefront of our minds? I would guess that for many, it is the same list I mentioned above...Troopers...Crown...Cadets...Scouts, and Vanguard, et al.

It's just possible that the key to not only maintaining the activity that we have known and loved forever (in the case of the Dinosaurs, that is), but ensuring any possible growth in the activity lies NOT in making sure that those World Class Corps can continue to enjoy an existence free of economic distress Maybe the key is some form of "outreach" to communities throughout the country. Build from the bottom. Instill that love for the activity by reaching those on which the activity will depend in the not-so-distant future. I know all of this sounds very "Pie in the Sky," and it is not my intent for it to sound that way. But...I also firmly believe the maxim that many of my band directors, football coaches, baseball coaches, basketball coaches, and any other leaders of youth activities have said to me, ad nauseum, throughout my life:

"A chain is only as strong as its' weakest link."

Troopers, Scouts, Cadets, Vanguard...heck...DCI itself...is the chain.

The links are those taking part in the Prarie Sound Drum and Bugle Corps of the world. THAT is where we concentrate our efforts.

DCY -- Drum Corps Youth

My apologies.

My post above (#115) does not help Stu with the current situation with his Corps. I should have posted it on a more applicable thread.

Again...I'm sorry.

My apologies.

My post above (#115) does not help Stu with the current situation with his Corps. I should have posted it on a more applicable thread.

Again...I'm sorry.

HornTeacher; Have fun and chill a little!!!! This thread may contained a hypothetical, but I do not mind a few rabbit trails here and there even though other people hate it when those types of trails appear in various threads. So, type about what ya want to!!!

Are there any rules on the books that stop corps from being sponsored by private companies, ala Star? Was wondering why no one else has tried that since. I know most corps have sponsors through instrument/uniform companies, but I don't know of any that are pretty much sponsored and run through a private company.

Are there any rules on the books that stop corps from being sponsored by private companies, ala Star? Was wondering why no one else has tried that since. I know most corps have sponsors through instrument/uniform companies, but I don't know of any that are pretty much sponsored and run through a private company.

At one point Suncoast Sound had ties to Circle K convince stores; The Knights were tied in with the motel chain Knights Inn; River City Railmen had ties to Union Pacific Railroad; Magic had some sort of connection to Disney; so I do not think there is a rule against such ties I just think that for-profit businesses want to see a return on investment even when sponsoring a non-profit.