What would you do?

Having fun with this thread; great! Have a ball, and as long as the mods do not shut it down anyone is free to post anything they like. But if you choose to make fun of this thread; just realize that even though this thread uses a hypothetical fictitious corps, the subject matter contained herein directly relates to real-life issues which caused the demise of Teal Sound, the Glassmen, Revolution, Forte, the new VK, and all of the other corps which have not looked out for the business side of the situation. And this thread was intended to be sort of a fun exercise in examining why many corps do unintentionally go into the red and fold; and to do this in a manner where we could place ourselves into the board room of this fictitious corps, bounce around ideas, and how we could learn from this exercise how tough the business side really is especially for musicians, artists, and band directors. But alas, maybe I expect too much from many who post here to have fun without making fun while engage in such a thread.

Stu, no fooling, I think you have done us a great service by starting this thread. I have learned a lot from the exchanges between you and Garfield. I have never realized just how difficult it has become to run a modern drum corps from a business point of view. The more that drum corps people understand sound business practices, the more our activity will thrive (or survive, at least). Keep up the good work! (and keep in mind, no matter how good the thread, it will always degenerate into mayhem and tom-foolery in the end).

Stu, no fooling, I think you have done us a great service by starting this thread. I have learned a lot from the exchanges between you and Garfield. I have never realized just how difficult it has become to run a modern drum corps from a business point of view. The more that drum corps people understand sound business practices, the more our activity will thrive (or survive, at least). Keep up the good work! (and keep in mind, no matter how good the thread, it will always degenerate into mayhem and tom-foolery in the end).

Thank you. And trust me; I do not mind the photos of the space aliens with instruments or the photo of the three stooges, or Garfield using the fictitious law firm Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe; that is all in good fun. I would just appreciate more actual input on ideas from people to rectify what actually are real life problems and real life issues which face most corps as well as the fun photos and quips.

Thank you. And trust me; I do not mind the photos of the space aliens with instruments or the photo of the three stooges, or Garfield using the fictitious law firm Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe; that is all in good fun. I would just appreciate more actual input on ideas from people to rectify what actually are real life problems and real life issues which face most corps as well as the fun photos and quips.

For me, Garfield's input is "real life" enough in regards to DCI.

Please let me echo quiet's sentiments. While a good many on here, from time to time, will post something that ruffles feathers or offends gentle sensibilities, I think that we all know who is a genuine "fan" of drum corps. And while I have most probably posted things that have made both Stu and Garfield shake their heads in confusion (and that is directed toward me, not you), I think that we also have a mutual understanding on our love(O.K. -- too "touchy-feely" -- let's say enjoyment, respect, and strong liking) for the activity.

Stu -- I wish I had your ability (and willingness) to delve into all matters relating to a subject. Simply -- I don't have the guts to do it.

Gar -- I didn't know that you were so knowing in the area of business (of course, I don't know you personally, so there is no way I COULD have known.) I've really enjoyed reading what most certainly must be the "behind the scenes" reality of many Corps.

So...without the requisite "Kum-Bay-Ya" moment --- thanks. And keep it coming.

For me, Garfield's input is "real life" enough in regards to DCI.

Oh, a remote possibility I suppose, but not real life, I don't think (except, maybe for mis-spelling a word or two :-).

I noticed Stu's error in his initial post, where he was describing fiscal, executive-level corps issues but inviting us to step into the boardroom with him to come up with answers. While I suspect there is probably better corroboration between most corps directors (or "executives") and their boards than my interaction with Stu, I think this is a critical error in the management structure of many orgs, There are many examples where the board is a mere puppet of the ED or, worse, "Yes-men", who focus on how "honored" they are to be asked to sit on the board instead of on their real fiduciary responsibility. You don't see this much in the corporate world, but it's rife in the non-profit world.

I wanted to steer Stu out the boardroom, leave the correct power in the board's hands, and test his belief that cutting expenses should be a primary focus in his hypothetical.

Now that he's agreed that he can't take the "simple" way out of shortening the tour, it will be interesting to see his next move. I don't think he's panicked yet, but I suspect he knows he's in a pickle with only 90 days to do "what must be done" - and his job is on the line.

This whole episode began with Stu disagreeing with me that all energies - except at the most senior level - should be focused on increasing revenue to solve a corps' funding problem. He believes a mix of both cuts and revenue increases is the answer. But now that I've taken that option away from him, it will be interesting to see how he handles it.

I do notice that, in these last few days of legal exchanges, he's not mentioned much about stepping up fundraising efforts... his energies still seem focused on getting suggestions on cutting.

I also think that this scenario would benefit from a poster being a proxy-marching member of Fictitious. It seems that Stu is bent on cutting something, and I'd be interested to hear a member's view of those cuts as they happen.

Edited by garfield

Gar -- I didn't know that you were so knowing in the area of business (of course, I don't know you personally, so there is no way I COULD have known.) I've really enjoyed reading what most certainly must be the "behind the scenes" reality of many Corps.

Huh. First thing I thought is that you are easily impressed. But hey, I do appreciate the compliment as you meant it.

I should disclaim here and say that I've never run a corps. I can imagine any actual director who might be reading this just rolling his eyes and saying "What a doofus. He has no idea what actually goes on", and he might be right.

That said, I do know a little about corporate structure and building a sound business from zero to, well, pretty big based on profit and loss and pounding the pavement to find revenue. So, if the adage is true that good corps are run by shrewd businessmen, as I believe, then maybe I am qualified to throw some bombs into the Stu's scenario, if nothing more.

I also enjoy poking Stu, as aggravating as that can be sometimes.

:tounge2:

Stu -- I wish I had your ability (and willingness) to delve into all matters relating to a subject. Simply -- I don't have the guts to do it.

What you really meant is that you are glad that you do not have my idiocy (and stupidity) to delve into all matters relating to a subject. :silly:

But seriously, thank you fo the kind words!