What would you do?

Probably a stupid question...but have you taken any time to meet with the business people of the Prarie Sound Drum and Bugle Corps in nearby Olathe, Ka? It's possible that through some kind of combined efforts, you could put together some sort of program or presentation of interest which might grab the attentions of philanthropic agencies in nearby Kansas City. As I said...probably stupid -- but just a thought.

What the heck...to carry a stupid thought further...

1) TWO extant drum corps within a relatively small area -- there must be at least a passing interest in Drum Corps in your area.

2) Prarie Sound D&BC is a senior/all age corps, which means that their membership most probably is drawn from those who live in your area year-round. Add that to whatever Fictitious membership that comes from your immediate area, and you have the basis for a decent off-season group.

3) Both Corps lie within close proximity of Kansas City, Mo., which currently possesses one of the more exciting and improving NFL football teams. And has no problem selling out a very large stadium for every game. Hence, there is money rolling in on that end.

4) With that amount of money rolling in, I'm quite certain that the Chiefs organization, like any organization, does a certain amount of "charitable" donating (gotta lessen that tax burden to Uncle Sam like anybody else, y'know?)

5) I'm sure that some of those same behinds that know and appreciate your respective Corps also make their way to Chief games on a semi-regular basis. And even if the large number of "behinds" at that stadium aren't familiar with your activity, what better way would there be to MAKE them familiar?

6) Clark Hunt, current owner and CEO of the Kansas City Chiefs is active in philanthropic efforts, as well as being personally involved as an athlete (soccer, I believe) in his younger days. Therefore, he well knows the benefits of physical activity to the American youth (don't forget -- many on DCP consider D&BC to be, at least to some degree, a "sport." If not sport, then at least extremely athletic.

6) Hence, I'm sure that there may be some kind of package you could put together which may be mutually beneficial to the respective Drum Corps and aforementioned professional sport organization. (While it might, on the surface, appear to be somewhat pandering, it must be recognized that one man's pandering is another man's income. The subsequent question thereby becomes: Are you too proud to exist? A little give-and-take never hurt anyone, after all.)

7) (As a side note): "Fictitious" is such an ineffective name for a Corps...almost makes you sound ghost-like...vaporish. Ineffective. Inconsequential. As part of your pitch, tell Mr. Hunt that your name will now be known as the "Huntsmen." Bold. Daring. Take-no-prisoners. An organization to be reckoned with. I'm sure he'll love it.

Just a thought...

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

This has become quite intriguing to the board of Fictitious.

Going for the big guns of corporate money is the Holy Grail of wanna-be drum corps sponsors. I'm anxious to see if a real-life, effective "pitch" for funding comes out of this.

Perusing the Chiefs' website for charitable support reveal several "cloistered" programs with none directly related to known charities. This is good. No excuses like "We support United Way".

That they don't have a formalized charitable giving program is actually good.

Just remember, HornTeacher, selling support is not charitable as much as it is selling eyeballs and marketing space.

What are you going to pitch to the Chiefs as an advertising line item that's worth their while?

Can't wait to see.

HornTeacher, it appears that Stu could use some help on staff. He needs more rainmakers. You up for the job?

While being a most magnanimous gesture on the part of (at least one member) the Board of "Fictitious" Drum and Bugle Corps, I must, at this time, regretfully decline.

It would be my most ardent dream to become one who is...wait a second)...

("Hey Pretty Boy...Can you kindly tell your brother to SHUT UP!!!)

Sorry...didn't mean to digress, but there's this guy walking around aimlessly, mumbling "KMart shorts...KMart shorts...KMart shorts...) in an endless manner. Do you have any idea how truly aggravating that is? In any case, I digress...

As I was saying, I don't think that it would be best at this time for me to accept your kind offer. Even if I thought I was up to the job, I don't think it would be possible for me to obtain the necessary furlough from...shoot...excuse me again...

(Hey, KMart guy!! Pick up the danged matchsticks and put them away, will ya"??))

Stupid guy doesn't even realize he's overage for the Carolina Crown. That's what we get for the administration showing their show on our media screens 24/7. Geesh..

Anyway...I'll put it short. I can't accept at this time. Enough said. But I'm sure that Stu will do a WONDERFUL job carrying on with the idea that I brought forth earlier. If he doesn't...well...kindly remind him that he promised me exactly that when he left here. I heard it. Every word. Promise.

With all due respect,

HornTeacher

HornTeacher.

Thank you for all of your your suggestions. We have for the past few years been in contact with the KC Chiefs, Hallmark, KC Royals, and other KC area based corporations concerning us engaging in performance opportunities or for potential funding or donated items. And for Prairie Sound, we are always open to possibly helping each other out with local parades or local arts festivals in which we can come together for community PR involvement. Rest assured that specifics are shared internal amongst our staff and Board. And if you would like to help us grow our youth organization feel free to send us a formal request. We have volunteer opportunities for even those who can only do things in short time periods, and other positions which open up from time to time that may interest you. Again, thank you for your suggestions.

Respectfully,

Stu Session

HornTeacher.

Thank you for all of your your suggestions. We have for the past few years been in contact with the KC Chiefs, Hallmark, KC Royals, and other KC area based corporations concerning us engaging in performance opportunities or for potential funding or donated items. And for Prairie Sound, we are always open to possibly helping each other out with local parades or local arts festivals in which we can come together for community PR involvement. Rest assured that specifics are shared internal amongst our staff and Board. And if you would like to help us grow our youth organization feel free to send us a formal request. We have volunteer opportunities for even those who can only do things in short time periods, and other positions which open up from time to time that may interest you. Again, thank you for your suggestions.

Respectfully,

Stu Session

But, but, but... have your discussions been fruitful? Have you garnered any support from any of these orgs?

If not, can you determine, Why Not?

Maybe it's time for a new approach. Maybe HornTeacher has such an approach?

Tic-toc, Stu.

CONFIDENTIAL AND PRIVILEGED

Memo to Garfield, President, Fictitious

Dear Garfield,

Our staff has been in contact with a few new organizations to possibly generate new funding in order to help compensate for the stalled realization of projected revenue. and I have had a few face to face meetings with interested parties. Some of our requests are still in the initial stage with others awaiting replies from the potential donors. I will send you a summary of what transpires prior to the next Board meeting; or if you request I can send you updates as we secure the funding opportunities.

Something for future thought.

With the modern DCI activity becoming increasingly involved and time consuming, as well as financially more complex, might I make the following suggestion to the Board.

Many WC corps in DCI are beginning to realize that a Development Director should be engaged alongside the Corps Director. This split in responsibility has been determined as a necessity by these corps due to the time required for a single person to focus on development along with the increasing duties in administering the organization; and I contend this is one of the culprits, not the only, but one culprit in creating an atmosphere where many corps have become unstable and subsequently folded.

As you know, as CEO I am not afraid of hard work or time commitment of long hours; and so far I have been able to keep our organization afloat and in the black. But when weekly requirements of 60hrs turns into 70hrs and then more, and more, mainly due to being pulled in two directions in which both require full-time commitment, one in development and the other in administration, there is a breaking point which will inevitably happen no matter the person. I therefore request our Board to investigate if we can begin to move in the direction of securing a Development Director who focuses just on generating revenue while the Corps Director focuses on administration.

Respectfully,

Stu Session

Edited by Stu

But, but, but... have your discussions been fruitful? Have you garnered any support from any of these orgs?

If not, can you determine, Why Not?

Maybe it's time for a new approach. Maybe HornTeacher has such an approach?

Tic-toc, Stu.

But, but, but, but, but, but, but... that was a commuication to someone outside the Board and I do not want to get whack by my President!!! If you want that specific info, please request it in a 'confidential' communication (see my posting #107). :cool:

But, but, but, but, but, but, but... that was a commuication to someone outside the Board and I do not want to get whack by my President!!! If you want that specific info, please request it in a 'confidential' communication (see my posting #107). :cool:

If I offended any pertinent parties, please allow me to extend my sincerest apologies.

What I said in terms of potential growth of and for the "Fictitious" Drum and Bugle Corps was said and/or extended in the purest form...that being, in the best interest(s) of the "Fictitious" Drum and Bugle Corps proper. It was not done in the interest of garnering any personal gain and/or subsequent advancement in the Corps hierarchy.

I hope that this simple declaration dissolves any existing or potential controversy which may stem from any earlier suggestions and/or submissions.

Most Sincerely,

Horn Teacher

(P.S. -- The use of the name "Fictitious" for your Corps still sucks. Royally.

HornTeacher.

Respectfully,

Stu Session

:dancin: