Boston had introduced the powder before Prelims. I can't remember if they had it for the Pittsburgh show last year, but they were definitely using it at Centervillle. Unfortunately the judges there apparently didn't realize it was an infraction, or Boston would have known better at Prelims.

They added fence on both sides of the pit. Better than the power last year and it is legal.

The Corps has definitely cleaned the show. The staff and Corps have been making improvements throughout the summer. I spoke with one of, if not the best arranger in our activity the other night and he said "Boston's show is the most challenging he has ever seen, the multiple demands and constant activity is incredible". He also acknowledged that some spots seem to be to hard to get perfect. The show is better to watch in person, and I believe cleaner than it is being given credit for in the performance captions.

The show is not obvious and that makes it challenging for the performers to maximize from an effect standpoint. The members have loved the challenge and love performing the show.

Focus on excellence, communication and some additions to further shape the show and add to effect coming this week. This show and Corps has more opportunity to grow than anyone else this week.

Understand all you are saying and there is no question there has been improvement throughout the season. Has there een as much as there could have been had there been a bit of a reduction in difficulty and complexity? Rest assured I agree with the corps philosophy this year, that they are investing in next year, although I believe the design staff overreached a bit this year and that has sacrificed what could be a more impactful show for the drum corp community. What message the corps was communicating (based on the myriad of interpetations of the show ans what everyone thinks is being said by the corps) will be overshadowed by the sense that "yeah it was acoold show but it couldn't be cleaned". The inability to clean will be the message delivered. The overdesigning affected not only the MM's ability to perform the program to the degree of difficulty that was written, but it seems perhaps, the design staff overestimated the ability of the tech staffers to clean the show.

Another statement you made gave me pause that there are STILL additions to the program. I should think the best "addition" would be to allow the show to be cleaned. That IMO is the crux of the overall performance problems. That is where any number to be gained, could be attained; through achievment, not so much through effect at this point of the season. Any "effect" that is not executed well gains little.

I am a believer that no show is "uncleanable", so long as an appropriate and sufficient amount time is allowed by the designers for the cleaning to be properly done by the staff techs the designers should rely on to deliver and maximize the achievment of the designed program. What you seem to be saying is the MM's are about maxed out and more effect is needed because increased achievment is not possible or is so minimal, that the tenths gained in effect outweight the inability to gain points in the achievment captions.

I also you to know I say this with all the respect and love I have for the corps. This is only one man's opinion. I want to see them climb to the top and I do believe they are on a good path to do so. With all this being said, I wish the entire organization a great week in Indy and I will be hoping I am completley wrong in what I have just said and the corps blows everyone away. I will be in a theater Thursday night in Minneapolis watching anxiously.

They added fence on both sides of the pit. Better than the pow(d)er last year and it is legal.

The powder was a nice effect. The fence, at least last night, was merely helpful decor, like the front panels many corps use. Was it in place in Allentown or was Pittsburgh its first appearance?

The powder was a nice effect. The fence, at least last night, was merely helpful decor, like the front panels many corps use. Was it in place in Allentown or was Pittsburgh its first appearance?

Pitts.

If you have not seen the Corps live, it is tough to judge the cleaning via the fan network. The Corps stepped up the design of the program this year with a focus towards top 5. As a matter of data, it is showing up in rep and content sub captions, the achievement lags and at this point perhaps a pre set or easy way to place people. Do you ever really get full credit for demand? The changes to the show throughout the season were made to embellish or improve the product.

Any enhancements made at this time are intended to improve the communication of the product to the audience and the judges up in the box. This program does not need anymore difficulty and the focus is on performance excellence.

So however critically judged by some, called ambitious by others it is a step towards competing at the next level.

Keep in mind year one of a new Corps Director, Artistic Director,Visual Writer, Inspire Arts & Music Admin team - all an improvement in my eyes. Some of the caption heads were new as well.

Building A Champion will not happen overnight and remains the focus.

• Like 4

Boston had introduced the powder before Prelims. I can't remember if they had it for the Pittsburgh show last year, but they were definitely using it at Centervillle. Unfortunately the judges there apparently didn't realize it was an infraction, or Boston would have known better at Prelims.

First used at Allentown, nothing was said there. The confusion was that when it was used outside, DCI officials didn't pick up on it, and Boston was not penalized. They continued to use it until someone noticed it at prelims. Whether it was bought to the attention of DCI by another drum corps, or being indoors was much more noticeable, I don't know. Also was a rumor that a Lucas OIl employee noticed the powder and wasn't happy. Bottom line, the ball was dropped, and the corps has moved on.....

First used at Allentown, nothing was said there. The confusion was that when it was used outside, DCI officials didn't pick up on it, and Boston was not penalized. They continued to use it until someone noticed it at prelims. Whether it was bought to the attention of DCI by another drum corps, or being indoors was much more noticeable, I don't know. Also was a rumor that a Lucas OIl employee noticed the powder and wasn't happy. Bottom line, the ball was dropped, and the corps has moved on.....

The funny thing is. The black pellets are coated with power and is part of the field make up with the plastic grass.

Some perspective:

The Boston Crusaders will be performing in Canton Ohio tonight, another historic stadium for the Corps. In 1982 after returning from Europe (which the Director bounced a check to the airlines) and being delayed in going on the DCI tour due to poor finances, we had reached the end in Canton. The bus company realized that the check they received from the Corps Director had bounced and announced that they were returning to Boston. The Corps would not be able to travel on and complete tour. As a 19 year old member of the Corps, I got on a call with Tony DiCarlo and the head of DCI and we negotiated a deal. DCI would pay all show money due directly to the bus company in return that they would stay on the road. The bus company agreed and we agreed that the Corps Director at the time would be let go. We had to then let the Corps DIrector know, send his wife and kids home and let the Corps know what happened. We finished tour and went into the offseason with a ton of doubt externally on whether there would be another addition of BAC. The members rallied off season and held the Corps together and Tony Smith established the first Board of Directors. They enter the field tonight some 32 years later stronger as an organization than ever before! Eat Em Up Boston!

• Like 9

If you have not seen the Corps live, it is tough to judge the cleaning via the fan network. The Corps stepped up the design of the program this year with a focus towards top 5. As a matter of data, it is showing up in rep and content sub captions, the achievement lags and at this point perhaps a pre set or easy way to place people. Do you ever really get full credit for demand? The changes to the show throughout the season were made to embellish or improve the product.

Any enhancements made at this time are intended to improve the communication of the product to the audience and the judges up in the box. This program does not need anymore difficulty and the focus is on performance excellence.

So however critically judged by some, called ambitious by others it is a step towards competing at the next level.

Keep in mind year one of a new Corps Director, Artistic Director,Visual Writer, Inspire Arts & Music Admin team - all an improvement in my eyes. Some of the caption heads were new as well.

Building A Champion will not happen overnight and remains the focus.

I'll give you that most commentary on peformance and lack of cleanliness is via Fan Network for most people who have been writing into DCP. Again all comments I read on DCP are tempered, and should be; between POV's from hundreds of miles away as well as any other bias there may be. There are many experts on DCP and I would guess that there is a high percentage who have not designed, taught or have not taught for long. And many DCP critics simply haven't been in DC very long either (some not at all). That isn't symptomatic of DCP'ers. That permeates the workplace as well. Many people here don't understand the history of Boston either and that plays a part in all the corps does.

I suppose BAC deserves some consideration seeing how many "rookies" there are on staff. I'll bet most of the general public has no real idea the newness for the design & admin team was so extensive. My comments were based on what I've read and what I see from numbers.

I agree you never seem to get the amount of credit for demand that you should. What has to be established takes a long time, and to convince the judging community that it is deserved is difficult and often times even then it isn't enough. I guess I get anxious when I can see something within my grasp and can't quite reach it. I think these kids are marching thier butts off and we (and I include myself) should have more patinece especially with regard to the big picture. When all is said and done though, we can say "we don't Gava" and WE know what that means. Good luck to all this week.

• Like 1

Some perspective:

The Boston Crusaders will be performing in Canton Ohio tonight, another historic stadium for the Corps. In 1982 after returning from Europe (which the Director bounced a check to the airlines) and being delayed in going on the DCI tour due to poor finances, we had reached the end in Canton. The bus company realized that the check they received from the Corps Director had bounced and announced that they were returning to Boston. The Corps would not be able to travel on and complete tour. As a 19 year old member of the Corps, I got on a call with Tony DiCarlo and the head of DCI and we negotiated a deal. DCI would pay all show money due directly to the bus company in return that they would stay on the road. The bus company agreed and we agreed that the Corps Director at the time would be let go. We had to then let the Corps DIrector know, send his wife and kids home and let the Corps know what happened. We finished tour and went into the offseason with a ton of doubt externally on whether there would be another addition of BAC. The members rallied off season and held the Corps together and Tony Smith established the first Board of Directors. They enter the field tonight some 32 years later stronger as an organization than ever before! Eat Em Up Boston!

I have been in a couple of those parking lot situations where the fate of the corps was being decided then and there. I will tell you , that particular one was the most stunning and the worst. It was also the last. To have been there that night, then go out in 1983 with 51 members and then then years later to be in Madison when the corps made finals for the first time and now and to see where this corp is today is nothing short of miraculous. It is a testament to determination, refusal to quit, a little bit of blind stupidity at times, but overall there was faith in ourselves, the organization and the people who worked toward what you see today. Congrats to you SuperSaderFan and the rest of the current BAC organization you are all Giants. Eat Em Up.
  • Like 1