DCI Top 12 Key Staff 2014

Nice interview with April Gilligan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-yCXS1yhZ4

April is rare. She struggled as a female( especially in the beginning ) even as strong of a personality as she has. Yet even April at some point decided to give alot up to move on. There are a few other females like Denise Bonfigilo that stayed strong in the activity. Just a thought , they also had a few men pushing hard for them. just sayin! In both those cases they also brought and trained into the activity many great MALE instructors of today.

Edited by GUARDLING

Female to female interaction is personal by nature. Though it shouldn't be, it is what it is. There is usually, though not always, a small divide between personal and professional.

So when a woman lays into female members, it's perceived much differently than when a male does. When a woman raises her voice or presents her view, it's perceived much differently than when a man does.

Guardling is right but it's not a DCI issue, it's a cultural and gender issue. As much as Brasso wants to make this about justice, sexism, and DCI (you outed yourself with the sexism comment), it's much bigger of an issue.

Brasso's comments are based on an ideal. Guardling is reporting how it is. You can't say he's wrong because he's not debating how feels whereas Brasso is.

Female to female interaction is personal by nature. Though it shouldn't be, it is what it is. There is usually, though not always, a small divide between personal and professional.

So when a woman lays into female members, it's perceived much differently than when a male does. When a woman raises her voice or presents her view, it's perceived much differently than when a man does.

Guardling is right but it's not a DCI issue, it's a cultural and gender issue. As much as Brasso wants to make this about justice, sexism, and DCI (you outed yourself with the sexism comment), it's much bigger of an issue.

Brasso's comments are based on an ideal. Guardling is reporting how it is. You can't say he's wrong because he's not debating how feels whereas Brasso is.

I think there was confusion about what Brasso meant.

But it's common to infer natural drives and genetics in various social groups to explain statistics. The problem is that this makes it seem that the conclusion is inescapable. The real explanation may just be cultural. In other words, the cultural norms exaggerate the role of genetics to the point of hyperbole.

I suspect that if 50% of the instructors were women, then that would continue as well. Why did they join a drum corps? Because they see it, like it, and want to do it. That's how it works. They don't see many women instructors, so that role model process never happens. I guess that's another theory then.

Edited by Pete Freedman

In my nearly 40 years around this activity, I have also noted the disparity between the sexes. I have concluded, however, that while very pronounced, I don't think it is the result of any evil intent by anyone. Since corps directors and caption heads are chosen by the individual organizations and not DCI, they can't be accused of having any blood on their hands on this one. I will, however, offer these observations:

1. Over four decades, I probably have had close to fifty of my band kids march drum corps, both World and Open. The ratio has been easily 90% boys/10%girls, and I do not know why that has been the case.

2. To this day, If you see ANY world class drum corps in the lot without their shakos/aussies etc on, they are probably 80% guys as well (INCLUDING MANY GUARD members in MANY instances)

3. Finally, I agree with either Guardling or Pete Freedman when they said that young women are more inclined to get on with their education/career/real world goals at 22 years old than many guys of that age.

4. Also while I have seen manymale drum corps techs in their twenties who either haven't settled down, OR have wives/girlfriends at home during tour with a new baby, I have NEVER seen a 20-something woman on tour with a new baby left behind for the summer (or part of the summer).

We simply cannot ignore the fact that many guys in their mid 20's are more likely to remain in the drum corps activity than their female counterparts, which DOES mirror currrent societal trends. Basically, girls generally have their act togther earlier than guys....don't you agree?

• Like 2

In my nearly 40 years around this activity, I have also noted the disparity between the sexes. I have concluded, however, that while very pronounced, I don't think it is the result of any evil intent by anyone. Since corps directors and caption heads are chosen by the individual organizations and not DCI, they can't be accused of having any blood on their hands on this one. I will, however, offer these observations:

1. Over four decades, I probably have had close to fifty of my band kids march drum corps, both World and Open. The ratio has been easily 90% boys/10%girls, and I do not know why that has been the case.

2. To this day, If you see ANY world class drum corps in the lot without their shakos/aussies etc on, they are probably 80% guys as well (INCLUDING MANY GUARD members in MANY instances)

3. Finally, I agree with either Guardling or Pete Freedman when they said that young women are more inclined to get on with their education/career/real world goals at 22 years old than many guys of that age.

4. Also while I have seen manymale drum corps techs in their twenties who either haven't settled down, OR have wives/girlfriends at home during tour with a new baby, I have NEVER seen a 20-something woman on tour with a new baby left behind for the summer (or part of the summer).

We simply cannot ignore the fact that many guys in their mid 20's are more likely to remain in the drum corps activity than their female counterparts, which DOES mirror currrent societal trends. Basically, girls generally have their act togther earlier than guys....don't you agree?

for sure 1 of the many reasons

Good points generally. I'm curious, what percentage of your brass and percussion students are male?

I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage of battery members may be the same in band as in corps (few women in either), but I'm curious about brass and front ensemble.

One explanation for #1 might be that boys are more willing to hit up their parents for thousands of dollars for extracurricular education than girls, or that parents are more willing to pay it. Just a depressing thought to toss out there.

Good points generally. I'm curious, what percentage of your brass and percussion students are male?

I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage of battery members may be the same in band as in corps (few women in either), but I'm curious about brass and front ensemble.

One explanation for #1 might be that boys are more willing to hit up their parents for thousands of dollars for extracurricular education than girls, or that parents are more willing to pay it. Just a depressing thought to toss out there.

Actually, now that you mention it, the vast majority of kids that I have seen march DCI from my high school bands have been drummers, (battery), hence the high percentage of guys. I think as a rule, marching percussionists in my experience have been much more aggressive about finding a way to march than brass players and certainly much moreso than woodwind players.

That quote didn't work properly....my comment begins with "Actually, now that you....."

Sorry~

Actually, now that you mention it, the vast majority of kids that I have seen march DCI from my high school bands have been drummers, (battery), hence the high percentage of guys. I think as a rule, marching percussionists in my experience have been much more aggressive about finding a way to march than brass players and certainly much moreso than woodwind players.

Got it. Brass, percussion and dance are really three different worlds aren't they? With their own cliques, rumor mills, etc. The drummers may be feeding off of each other's success in drum corps, and the others aren't paying attention.