DCP Poster's view toward DCI

Your Thoughts on DCI, the organization  

173 members have voted

1. 1. What's your general view of DCI?

• I'm generally positive about what I see and post about DCI.
    • I'm generally negative about what I see and post about DCI.
    • I'm generally neutral about what I see see and post about DCI.
    • My opinion and posts about DCI are specific to the issue discussed. Some good, some not.
  2. 2. What's your perception of OTHER poster's opinions?

• From what I read, I think most DCP posters are positive about DCI.
    • From what I read, I think most DCP posters are negative about DCI.
    • From what I read, I think most DCP posters are neutral about DCI
    • From what I read, I think most DCP poster's opinion is dependent on the issue being discussed. Some good, some not.

Of course DCI is going to complain; they are the subject of the complaints most of the time. I really feel that most people (and organizations) only want to hear about the good, and not address the bad, and there are not always good things happening. Those things are brought up here, and frankly DCI doesn't want to hear it. I think some people call that "EGO".

I'm not afraid to tell it how I see it ( tactfully I hope), and sometimes there are things that are more bad than good in this activity. So if that makes me negative, fine. If DCI (or anyone for that matter) has a problem with it, whatever. I make a concerted effort to look at both the good and the bad in every situation (in DCI and in life as much as possible), and I'm going to talk about both. Some don't want to have ideas presented that way. I just prefer to be direct and not play games. Some people feel the need to play politics and filter things, which is a very corporate way of doing things that I just find to be a negative.

It has been quieter for sure, but personally I don't post as much anymore because I've just gotten fed up with a few people here and I don't care to participate as much or really try to talk about issues when there are specific people who will come in and tell you the exact opposite. Also, I've had people who have started conversations WITH ME privately, then rudely don't reply later after I've answered their questions and ask questions of my own. That's just not how I like to treat people and I'm offended and I won't ever deal with those people again. If I have an issue with a person, I'll let them know that I do and why. I won't just stop talking to them out of the blue after they've answer a question that I've asked them. It's very rude, and that has happened here recently. There are some flaky people and rude people here that make me not want to participate more than I have. I mean, I understand that in a public forum, but not privately. That being said, there are some nice people too, and they bring me back to participate.

So, the negativity is to be expected, and DCI should be able to filter that out and gather some good information. It's what LOTS of corporations do. ...and we're pretty tame by some standards.

People being rude flakes is totally unacceptable. People should treat people the way they wanted to be treated.

you made some very good points and You also pointed out what some directors see . Many of the same reasons you don't post as much is exactly the reason many directors do not want their staff or members involved. With that said, I think ( I could be wrong ) lately it does seem much better. We'll see I guess :biggrin:

gdS6O3M.png

.... and when you are apparently entirely out of any potential intelligent, insightful , etc response replies.., JUST GO. WITH A HUGE MEME CARTOON IN ITALICS AND BIG EXCLAMATION POINTS !! ( .... haha)

Edited by BRASSO

Maybe I'm just plain wrong, but my impression when visiting corps pages on other social media (Facebook) is that 95% of the comments made about a corps are usually from people who are complimenting the corps, wishing them luck or reminiscing about their time when they marched. On rare occassions you see a negative comment but it's rare. A corps could announce that they're doing a show called "Duck Duck Goose" and at least 50% of the comments are from people thinking Duck Duck Goose is going propel the corps to win DCI this year.

I think corps staff just don't want members to see anything negative being said about their group.

Edited by Lincoln

you made some very good points and You also pointed out what some directors see . Many of the same reasons you don't post as much is exactly the reason many directors do not want their staff or members involved. With that said, I think ( I could be wrong ) lately it does seem much better. We'll see I guess :biggrin:

I dunno, I had my biggest problems with two people who regularly post here and are kinda known as good DCP citizens within the last 6 or so months. Right after finals last year up until pretty recently. You're great and most people are great, but there are a couple people who aren't.

My biggest thing is NOT criticism, it is when people don't try and communicate or just are rude, especially one on one. Maybe they don't realize how bad it comes across, and I'm sure at least one of the people would be aghast to learn that they behaved so badly to me, but for me it's not worth it to try to communicate any further. I'll just try to be good to the people who are good to me, and discuss the issues. Believe me, there are some fun things ( well things I think are fun) to talk about, but they just don't seem to be the things that get comments.

....so I'll just chime in on the popular stuff and try to have fun. I'm still going to get worked up about certain issues as they come up. BUT I think this forum is a great resource for DCI if they can also weed through the crap at the major themes, et cetera.

I'm sure we are going to get back to snarkiness soon though.

..and you're right, Guardling, things have been better

My guess, the same Corps staff telling their charges not to read ( or post ) on DCP, are probably using a flashlight late at nite under their bed covers with their computers to read whats posted on DCP. ( haha! )

Good grief, telling people what to do on their own free time is downright totalitarian and control freakish in nature, and runs entirely counter to fostering and developing free thinking, strong, young adults imo. People here are mostly tame, civil, or at worse, harmless... especially compared to what 18-22 year olders in other " competitive sports " hear in their competitive endeavors from other fans, other coaches, other players, etc.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I dunno, I had my biggest problems with two people who regularly post here and are kinda known as good DCP citizens within the last 6 or so months. Right after finals last year up until pretty recently. You're great and most people are great, but there are a couple people who aren't.

My biggest thing is NOT criticism, it is when people don't try and communicate or just are rude, especially one on one. Maybe they don't realize how bad it comes across, and I'm sure at least one of the people would be aghast to learn that they behaved so badly to me, but for me it's not worth it to try to communicate any further. I'll just try to be good to the people who are good to me, and discuss the issues. Believe me, there are some fun things ( well things I think are fun) to talk about, but they just don't seem to be the things that get comments.

....so I'll just chime in on the popular stuff and try to have fun. I'm still going to get worked up about certain issues as they come up. BUT I think this forum is a great resource for DCI if they can also weed through the crap at the major themes, et cetera.

I'm sure we are going to get back to snarkiness soon though.

..and you're right, Guardling, things have been better

I totally get what you are saying and exactly why ( as i said ) many directors feel the same way. There does seem to be less of it lately and hope you are wrong about getting back to the snarkiness . I do get it though and agree. I often vowed never to come back also BUT felt that I may have had a thing or two to contribute and add a different perspective. It's not always welcome for sure and understand where that comes from. Unfortunately though often in most aspects , especially social media, many of the things worth while are often shadowed over by alot by those who just loved to be heard. Maybe because a computer gave some a voice that they never had or now can't be told to take a seat...lol...who knows.

Either way I totally understand what you are saying. Weeding through ( as you said ) is the key...although hard to do sometimes.

My guess, the same Corps staff telling their charges not to read ( or post ) on DCP, are probably using a flashlight late at nite under their bed covers with their computers to read whats posted on DCP. ( haha! )

Good grief, telling people what to do on their own free time is downright totalitarfian and control freakish in nature, and runs entirely counter to fostering and developing free thinking, strong, young adults imo. People need to get a grip. Whats posted on DCP is generally mild and innocuous... especially compared to what 18-22 year olders in other " competitive sports " hear in their competitive endeavors from other fans, other coaches, other players, etc.

actually it really isnt. I know many people who have lost jobs over postings. Directors want kids to focus and NOT get involved in the ranting some love to engage in. Postings have sent kids home and a few right before championships. As you can see even private views ( in private ) have destroyed some peoples lives lately.BUT you are right a few still do peek under the covers at internet stuff and a few have totally amused some members.lol

Maybe I'm just plain wrong, but my impression when visiting corps pages on other social media (Facebook) is that 95% of the comments made about a corps are usually from people who are complimenting the corps, . A corps could announce that they're doing a show called "Duck Duck Goose" and at least 50% of the comments are from people thinking Duck Duck Goose is going propel the corps to win DCI this year.

And such unabashed cheerleading for Corps seems totally harmless to me as well.

I didn't respond to the poll. Sorry Garfield. To be honest, I started reading DCP in 2006, found old program and photos, scanned, posted starting in 2007 and rarely had an opinion on DCP until now.

When we went to Indy 2010 and 2013, I met a few current marching members. DCP scared me 2007-2009 with bemoaning about the past but the cuurent members allowed me to celebrate my youth in drum corps and cheer for them.

I bought FN for one more year because I enjoy watching live feed and reading DCP during the live feed when we cheer for the corps, for the kids, give feedback and have a good time on the internet.

• Like 1