Blue Devils 2014 Thread

Apparently the Blue Devils, at least last year, would get no love from one Supreme Court Justice:

Although the Supreme Court declined today to hear a case about religious freedom, it reminded Justice Antonin Scalia, who dissented, about his feelings regarding music and joy and community. Religion, some people believe, "is a personal matter," he wrote. "If it must be given external manifestation, that should not occur in public places where others may be offended ... I can understand that attitude. It parallels my own toward the playing in public of rock music or Stravinsky. And I too am especially annoyed when the intrusion upon my inner peace occurs while I am part of a captive audience, as on a municipal bus or in the waiting room of a public agency. My own aversion cannot be imposed by law because of the First Amendment."

I trust that no one will use this amusing remark for political purposes verboten on DCP, but it was too funny not to share.

BD put up their A, B, and C corps preseason recordings on the mediabox

Interesting they have two versions of the recording. "This recording by John Torrijos features more of the front ensemble. I will give you the hearing experience as if you are on track." The Scott Gordon version has an audience perspective.

Edited by gabe211

Or not. Only available to stream to subscribers at the moment. :dry:

Subscribe! Only $10/year.

I know someone on staff who told me, "Either the crowd is going to think our show is awesome, or we won't be getting the fan favorite award again this year lol".

From all the uncharacteristically positive comments I've been hearing/reading, compared to the past 7 or 8 years, it sounds like there might actually be less people on the anti-BD train this year. I'm looking forward to seeing how crowds across the country react to them this year, specifically San Antonio & Allentown.

Subscribe! Only $10/year.

I might have..........lol. Why not, working 3 part time jobs this summer, I can spare $10.

I have to say, BD, thank you. This show is such a treat. Through the Gordon Goodwin piece is just old school, playful, powerful, and completely accessible Blue Devils. The closer musically is a little more like the past few years, but not in a bad way. It's fanatical in nature, almost a dream state to me. I've come to enjoy the hell out of the past few years with some time, but BOY did they have me worn out figuring out what was going on. I have the utmost respect for those shows, 2012 being one of my all time favorites as of now. But this is what I, and the rest of the drum corps community have wanted, and you're bringing it. You officially have my favorite show pre-season. This is gonna get a few plays for sure. :music: You're mixing the modern Blue Devils with the Blue Devils of the past, and it almost has an old school feel, but with the fantasy and flare of what they've been doing recently, I can't put my finger on it, but there's a hybrid of what we came to love of the old Blue Devils, and what they've been doing in recent years, and it is MAGICAL! It just seems like a fantasy.......Fellini's Fantasy perhaps? I can 100% TOTALLY see what the point of this show is already, and I haven't been able to say that bout the Blue Devils......since I started following the activity in 2008.

Edited by DrumManTx